Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for info on these breeders ...

Any info - good or bad as well as pictures of your dobi’s and where purchased.

Sierra Doberman’s
Garrett’s Doberman’s
La Doberman’s
Indah Lux / Acadiana Doberman’s
Becky Floyd - Gallant Hearts Guide Dogs / Southern Pride Kennels

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Welcome to DT

I believe you can do much better. Check out the Breeder's Referral on the DPCA website.

Don't be surprised if you need to travel a bit or be on a waiting list. Good luck with your search.

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
A definite NO on Sierra and Garrett's. Both of them have been discussed previously on DT. The easiest way to find the threads is to do a Google search for their names, adding "DobermanTalk", and they should come up.

·
joie de vivre
11,200 Posts
Hi PM2244!

Are you looking for a companion, show, or sport dog? I'm sure members can help point you to some good breeders.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi PM2244!

Are you looking for a companion, show, or sport dog? I'm sure members can help point you to some good breeders.
I’m looking for companion, protection, sport, obedience possibly show but with all this Covid and shows canceling and there aren’t a lot of shows near me that I know of. I’d also like to train for service as well ... You know, just looking for the whole package = The perfect dog 😃

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Gallant Hearts Guide Dogs--Becky Floyd (Also Southern Pride is her original kennel name.)

I know a little about Gallant Hearts/Southern Pride and Becky Floyd. When Joanna Walker (Marks-Tey Dobermans retired as a breeder she had established herself as a trainer and provider of Doberman Guide Dogs for the Blind. Becky became involved in this and has taken over that role (I think that Joanna passed away some years ago.)

Becky and I were on several Doberman lists a good many years ago--so I don't know what she's breeding under her own kennel name these days but she always struck me as a very honest woman and I think you would find her reliable if you asked her what she has to offer by way of puppies these days.

This is a guess but since any one who has ever been involved in the acquisition or breeding and early training of Guide dogs, or really any sort of service dog knows that there are always a number of puppies that don't make the grade but who would still be wonderful pets and companions. But that's the kind of thing to ask Becky about.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
21,288 Posts
I’m looking for companion, protection, sport, obedience possibly show but with all this Covid and shows canceling and there aren’t a lot of shows near me that I know of. I’d also like to train for service as well ... You know, just looking for the whole package = The perfect dog 😃
We've had a number of conversations on this forum about Dobermans as service dogs. I have several friends that use Dobermans as service dogs, and they are generally the first people to discourage others from choosing the breed as a service dog. I don't want to interrogate you about the reason you are looking at the breed for service, but depending on what your needs are, the breed may be particularly unsuitable for your needs. The guardian nature of the breed can make it really hard for them to do the work - all of my friends have stated that it's difficult to find a dog that will ignore their breed temperament in order to allow access in emergency situations, for example, rather than guard their owner in a serious situation.

If service work is your priority, I would absolutely be looking for a breeder that has produced service dogs before, and there aren't a huge number of those in the breed. I'd be happy to PM one of our members who has a service dog to pop in on this thread if he's available. If show/sports is more of the priority, I'd focus on looking at breeders that are successful in those venues.

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
I think that Prioritizing your needs should be the main objective for you at this point. You are not going to find a doberman who can do all of those things for your first dobe frankly. People wait a lifetime to find a dog who can do it all. Just the vibe I'm getting from your replies makes me want to suggest a well bred show line dog with a pedigree that has a lot of great tempered dogs. Good luck!

·
joie de vivre
11,200 Posts
That is quite a list! :)

Do you have experience with the Doberman breed? If so, what kind of experience?

Do you have experience competing in protection and/or performance sports with any breed?

Have you ever showed a dog? If so, did the dog finish? Have you successfully shown a Doberman before?

For the Service Dog stuff, I would encourage you to read MeadowCat's reply above. And, if you do indeed want a potential service dog, I highly recommend you take her up on her offer to speak to her friend. If its the person I'm thinking of, he would be an excellent resource on the matter.

I also tend to agree with greenkouki's assessment. I think its a must that you prioritize your list in order to better determine what breeders and lines will be an ideal fit. The Doberman is a very versatile breed who is capable of doing a lot of things well...

However, due to breeding trends in different lines that are aimed towards success in different venues, some desirable traits can be in conflict to one another. And this makes it very difficult to find dogs who are not only capable of high achievement at competitive levels of different venues, but it's also a lot for one person to know how and be able to successfully campaign one dog in the different venues (which is, in part, why I ask what your experience is for the different things on your list).

Additionally, if you yourself aren't pretty well qualified already (i.e., verifiably experienced in the breed and/or different competitive venues), many breeders will be reluctant to sell you a really promising to exceptional dog who might ultimately become a Jack-of-All-Trades-Master-of-None in the history books. It takes a lot of hard work and commitment (and money, to be honest) to pursue any one of those areas to excellence. Many breeders would rather send an excellent dog with a lot of promise to someone who they have high confidence will at least be able to achieve one thing of greatness, rather than many things of mediocrity.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be happy to PM one of our members who has a service dog to pop in on this thread if he's available.
.[/QUOTE]

No I do not mind you inviting someone else to the thread. I’m here looking for info!

·
Super Moderator
21,288 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Becky Floyd is a very good Breeder, although I don’t think she breeds for show anymore. As mentioned she does still stay involved with guide dogs.

My dog was a litter mate to one of her personal guide dogs, many years ago.

She’s outside Jackson MS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that Prioritizing your needs should be the main objective for you at this point. You are not going to find a doberman who can do all of those things for your first dobe frankly. People wait a lifetime to find a dog who can do it all. Just the vibe I'm getting from your replies makes me want to suggest a well bred show line dog with a pedigree that has a lot of great tempered dogs. Good luck!
Yes I do know I need to prioritize my needs. So if I had to do that ... 1st would be companion. 2nd would be Service 3rd would be protection When I say “service” I’m talking about going places with me, maybe picking up things or getting things.
Now when I say protection, I’m undecided about training for protection. With their appearance and natural urge to protect, that may be all I’m needing. But will I need to train her in protection to sharpen her ability to determine what is a threat or not? Or to pull her off if she is in defensive mode?

I was leaning towards European. I do like their darker rust markings rather than the tan markings of the American. But I will keep an open mind and consider any and all advice I get here!

I did see where you said “ Just the vibe I'm getting from your replies makes me want to suggest a well bred show line dog with a pedigree that has a lot of great tempered dogs.” And I will definitely look into that. Thank you for giving that advice!! If you have any breeders that you think I should look into I would greatly appreciate the info!!

Thank you again!

·
Super Moderator
21,288 Posts
Yes I do know I need to prioritize my needs. So if I had to do that ... 1st would be companion. 2nd would be Service 3rd would be protection When I say “service” I’m talking about going places with me, maybe picking up things or getting things.
Now when I say protection, I’m undecided about training for protection. With their appearance and natural urge to protect, that may be all I’m needing. But will I need to train her in protection to sharpen her ability to determine what is a threat or not? Or to pull her off if she is in defensive mode?

I was leaning towards European. I do like their darker rust markings rather than the tan markings of the American. But I will keep an open mind and consider any and all advice I get here!

I did see where you said “ Just the vibe I'm getting from your replies makes me want to suggest a well bred show line dog with a pedigree that has a lot of great tempered dogs.” And I will definitely look into that. Thank you for giving that advice!! If you have any breeders that you think I should look into I would greatly appreciate the info!!

Thank you again!
If you are simply looking for darker markings...that's not exclusive to European lines. You just have to look around and find lines that have a look that you like. My boy is 100% American lines, and he has a nice dark rust. I'm not saying to exclude those breeding European lines, just know that you're looking at working dogs, and be sure you know what you're looking at and the needs of the dog. Personally, temperament and health would be first on my list, and then I'd narrow that list down after to which of those breeders I most liked in terms of how their dogs looked.

What you describe in terms of "protective" - personally, I think a breeder who has dogs that have passed their working aptitude exams are likely enough to meet your needs. Just my opinion. A Doberman with correct, solid temperament should be alert, understand the difference between friendly and unfriendly people. Now, there's a lot of question about whether an untrained dog can truly protect you in a REAL situation where you need protection. I hope my dogs are never placed in a situation where they need to do that. However, they have both passed their WAE and they are 100% excellent deterrents. I never worry when I'm out walking with them. They are very alert. Simply having a Doberman at the end of your leash is often all you need.

BTW, here is my boy - 100% American, dark rust markings. You can see the difference between him and my girl, who has lighter markings. This is obviously an old picture, since Sypha is now 4 1/2 :)

DSC_0042 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gosh! Your boy is beautiful!! But looking at his picture I would have thought he was European. He looks heavier than most Americans I’ve seen. Has a broad barrel chest. His muzzle looks more broad and he doesn’t look to have the “arch” in his neck. It seems more like the slant of the European’s. But I’m just going by what I’ve been told to look for.

Regardless, again, he is beautiful! I’m looking for a female just like him - LOL

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
Gosh! Your boy is beautiful!! But looking at his picture I would have thought he was European. He looks heavier than most Americans I’ve seen. Has a broad barrel chest. His muzzle looks more broad and he doesn’t look to have the “arch” in his neck. It seems more like the slant of the European’s. But I’m just going by what I’ve been told to look for.

Regardless, again, he is beautiful! I’m looking for a female just like him - LOL
He's actually on the smaller side for a male, if I remember correctly. And he's standing naturally, not stacked.

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
21,288 Posts

He's actually on the smaller side for a male, if I remember correctly. And he's standing naturally, not stacked.
This is exactly why pictures are not a substitute for seeing a dog in person. Richter has good substance to him - he's not fat at all, he has decent bone, but he is not by any means a LARGE male. Rosemary is exactly right - he's on the smaller side of the standard. But let me tell you, he has "presence", because what you say is true...he has a look to him. Do you know how many people, EVEN IN PERSON, will think he weighs 90 pounds? People will cross the street when I'm walking with him (and he is a very nice dog...he can be aloof with strangers, but by no means aggressive in the least, and is the sweetest boy you'll ever meet if you're "his people"). I had a marine jogging by comment "that's SOME dog!" And he is...he's a great dog. But...he weighs 74 pounds. He's not a big guy. He carries himself with confidence. He IS confident. And if he hits you, it hurts (I know, as he's run into me full speed by accident in agility, LOL!).

Rosemary is also correct that he's simply standing naturally. You could make him "look" like a stacked, show ring Doberman, if you had a skilled handler working with him.

Right now it's hard - there aren't a lot of dog shows going on in some areas of the country. But as they start happening...getting out and meeting/seeing dogs in person, I think you'd be really surprised by what you see when you see dogs in person. Dogs look so much different than they do in a photo. I think you would be able to find a breeder that has dogs that are what you want.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! Smaller size? He doesn’t look it in this pic. Maybe because he’s next to the smaller female. He is so handsome!! Did you get him from a breeder that you would recommend?

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts