Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family (2 adults and 2 boys- ages 10 and 13) are looking a Doberman for a family pet and we thought the members of this forum might be able to suggest some breeders for us to look into.

We would like to find a reputable breeder within a five hour drive. We live in between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in Northern California and have a very active lifestyle. We travel often in a motorhome and like to hike on maintained trails in the area. We have 1/2 acre that is fenced. Our dog will be both inside and outside. S/he will accompany us on morning and evening walks as well as vacation with us. S/he will not be shown nor bred..but we would still like a show quality dog...but we do not plan to crop his/her ears.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Our family (2 adults and 2 boys- ages 10 and 13) are looking a Doberman for a family pet and we thought the members of this forum might be able to suggest some breeders for us to look into.

We would like to find a reputable breeder within a five hour drive. We live in between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in Northern California and have a very active lifestyle. We travel often in a motorhome and like to hike on maintained trails in the area. We have 1/2 acre that is fenced. Our dog will be both inside and outside. S/he will accompany us on morning and evening walks as well as vacation with us. S/he will not be shown nor bred..but we would still like a show quality dog...but we do not plan to crop his/her ears.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't have any breeder suggestions for you as I don't live around there, but to address the text I bolded... Why do you want a show quality dog if you aren't looking to show or breed?

You will have a difficult time finding a good breeder willing to leave ears uncropped (reputable breeders have the ears cropped before the puppies go to new homes and don't leave this up to the buyer to do), and I really don't think they will leave ears natural on a show puppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am new to the breed. I mentioned "show quality breed" because I want to make sue that there are no health issues (genetic) and I assume that show-quality breeders are more careful than "recreational" breeders. I could be completely wrong, though.

I have read that many breeders crop the ears before puppies are released. If we are solely using our dobe as a pet- is there a benefit to cropping his/her ears?

Again- thanks for your help. I don't quite know where to start. :)

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Irongate is in Truckee, but I don't know if Eve Auch lets puppies go uncropped. Darwin Dobermans is also in California. If you're okay with working/euro dogs, Incredible Dobermans is in Santa Rosa, von Luka is in Modesto, and vom Landgraf is in Sacramento.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Not too many show breeders who are willing to let puppies go uncropped. You might get in touch with Adrian Woodfork who is a breeder judge. He has let puppies go uncropped in the past. For his contact info, look at the Doberman Pinscher Club of Sacramento's website.

Doberman Pinscher Club of Sacramento

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am new to the breed. I mentioned "show quality breed" because I want to make sue that there are no health issues (genetic) and I assume that show-quality breeders are more careful than "recreational" breeders. I could be completely wrong, though.

I have read that many breeders crop the ears before puppies are released. If we are solely using our dobe as a pet- is there a benefit to cropping his/her ears?

Ahh yes I see.

Reputable show (or working) breeders are definitely the way to go when looking for a healthy pet, but not every puppy in the litter will be a show quality (or working quality) puppy, so those puppies receive all the same benefits as the show quality puppies, but are pet quality for whatever reason (could be wrong sort of temperament for the ring/working, conformation not the best, light eyes, muddy markings, undescended testicle... those sorts of things!). So you are after a show (or working) breeder, but a pet quality puppy :)

No benefit to ear cropping, you will need to look a little harder to find a good breeder that will leave ears natural for you... Often breeders with European line dobermans seem to be more open to it.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Would it be an option to have a puppy that was cropped, and just leave the ears alone after they heal, unposted, so they don't stand? I don't know if there is protocol for that...

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
First, welcome to DT!

Disco beat me to it!
The ethical/reputable breeders who health test and title their dogs produce both show quality and pet quality puppies. The pet quality puppies are not bad in any way but generally are not deemed show quality due to having a trait that the breeder doesn't like (not a health issue but something like eyes that are too light a shade or a small white patch on the chest). You will have a VERY hard time finding a good breeder who will leave a puppy uncropped. Most breeders crop their puppies at 7 weeks of age but don't fully decide if a dog is show quality or not until later in life. Leaving a puppy natural could mean missing out on their next champion. Also, if for any reason the puppy's home doesn't work our and has to be rehomed to the breeder it is harder to find a new home for a natural eared dog.

Would it be an option to have a puppy that was cropped, and just leave the ears alone after they heal, unposted, so they don't stand? I don't know if there is protocol for that...
I'm not sure about protocol but a cropped and flopped ear looks NOTHING like a natural ear. Personally, I find the cropped and flopped quite unattractive.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Show breeders will have pet quality puppies, who have some fault that keep them out of the show ring. But they still have the same fully health tested parents, so you can get the best pet possible. The good show breeders will not let their pets go with uncropped ears though, but if uncropped ears are a must try looking at working breeders. Just make sure that the parents are titled and health tested too though.

Rescues often have good, uncropped dogs of all ages looking for homes as well.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Alright then, my question has been answered ;) I didn't mean not post them without the breeder knowing it, but I guess that doesn't make any sense.

To the OP, I would definitely encourage you to look up rescues around here. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Family4,

You know what is a really fun thing to do and a good way to do research? Go to a conformation show and chat up the breeders you meet there. You may find people to be much more helpful when dealing with them in person as opposed to a faceless buyer over the phone. The AKC website has an event search function so I pulled that up for you.

http://www.akc.org/events/search/in...active_tab_row=2&active_tab_col=2&fixed_tab=7

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Second the recommendation to get out to some shows and trials.

As far as letting pups go home uncropped, there are a few ethical/reputable breeders who will do that, but it will be extra important for you guys to demonstrate the ability to provide a good lifetime home for the pup, as some folks feel it's harder to place/rehome a natural ear dog, should that ever be needed in future.

You will also need to show understanding of the breeder's need to grade the litter and make the decisions as to which puppy might go to a pet home and thus stay natural.

(Natural ear fan here, myself. I've talked to at least one great breeder who is willing to place a natural ear pup in a responsible home.)

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
To me... it would be horrifying to have a pup that goes through the pain of surgery just to have the owners let the ear flop... plus its not at all attractive in my opinion. I highly doubt you'll find a quality breeder that will agree to let you purposely flop a puppies ears.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've got a natural Dobermann (has the tail and ears) and I go to a vet that loves the fact he's not cropped and docked, his office also does not offer cropping or docking as a service.

After being in his office for the umpteenth time for antibiotics for an ear infection he conceded to me that my dog would be better off with cropped ears. Erect ears allow more light and air flow in to the ear canal and allow the ear to "breath" much better than if left un-cropped.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
I think DT member Caramella has an uncropped dog from Von Luka Dobermans (von Luka Dobermanns - News). You might contact them. If you are willing to be patient and possibly expand your search I suspect you can find an ethical breeder who will leave ears uncropped. It's just harder to find ethical breeders who will do it, so it takes perseverance and patience to find them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts