Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a litter of Beagle puppies coming up in the next 2- 8 months (depending on which heat cycle I breed her on). So I have been going through some applications and talking to other breeders. My question to you guys is, are your contracts ever negotiable? What about your prices?

I have someone on my list who does not want to neuter until the male is 2 years old. My contract says 6 months. They approached me in a mature, knowledgeable manner and have great references, so yes I am changing that for them.

I also have someone on my list who cant pay the whole price right away, so they are doing payments. I'm fine with this. They will be a amazing home.

Would you ever give a buyer a break on the price if they couldn't afford it or let them do payments?

Assuming someone was mature and knowledgeable would you bend things in your contract for them?

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Payments, yes. I would hold the pup until it is paid for.
Bending the rules means writing up a special contract for them. If its not in writing then they could do whatever they want & you have no leg to stand on.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True but altering wording or removing a sentence in a already made contract would be hard. I mean little things not huge completely different contract

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I think it depends on the home, I know more than one breeder who has given puppies away to an excellent home- but I think that has more to do with liking the people so much they never ask for payment. So I guess it wouldn't surprise me too much if a breeder changed the price of a puppy if the home they wanted it to go to couldn't afford what the breeder was asking.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If it was well thought out and say for the neuter they had really researched it, I'd consider it. I'd also consider staying on as a co-owner until neutered. And I also have damages clauses of $3,000 for breeding without consent of breeder. It may or may not be hard to collect in court. The contract was written by an attorney but the point is to prevent people from breeding vs collect money :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The rescue I got Dakota from (I knot it's not a breeder...) bent a bunch of major rules for us. I would say it depends how comfortable you are with the people, and what you would be willing to do.

Not being able to afford the asking price would be a concern or mine, like Emilyb said. What if the pup needs some kind of emergency care or something expensive? Will they not be able to provide it?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Yes, this was my first thought. They have time to save for the pup if you're months out from breeding. They also need to have an emergency fund for those unexpected illnesses as well. idk, I'm not a breeder but I would be a little nervous if someone needed to go on a payment plan to purchase a pup. There are so many costs with animal ownership.

I like Sinister's idea of holding pup until paid in full.

I'd be concerned if the person couldn't afford the price of the puppy. What if they needed a vet?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My boy is a "show quality" pup and his breeder gave him to me for the "pet quality" price. I've heard that show males are sometimes sold to pet homes because they are harder to find homes for so maybe that's why she did it. I know for me that I told her I wanted the best pup for me and would pay the higher price if I HAD to but, even though I could afford it, as a student it would be better if I didn't have to.

I'll never be a breeder myself but if I was and I had somebody wanting a dog who seemed like they would give one of my pups a good home, if they impressed me, seemed knowledgeable, and had good references I'd probably make a some small changes for them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have to agree with what everyone has already said.

I'd be a bit hesitant on selling a pup to someone who couldn't afford it in the first place.

About the neuter; is it because of his growth they are wanting to hold off? What's their reasoning?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts