Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Susan might be a candidate for these strips. Her ears have been standing with no issues, but I haven't completely stopped posting. I'm just going strong until she hits 7 months and then will see how long they stand.

However when she is running around and playing without posts, I notice that her tips will be a little more rubbery, bouncing back and forth. Whenever she comes to a stop they go right back to normal.

Is this common, is it something that will always happen or can something like the Breathe Right Strips prevent that?

If by chance I'm way off, then please explain when it is appropriate to use these and how do you apply them?

THANKS!

You can see in this pic where her tip is a little weak

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
I just started using these successfully the past 2 weeks, I had trouble getting it to "stay" inside her ear.

I recommend the extra strength version, and after you peel off the backing, you'll need a strong glue in addition to its sticky backing, as it isn't sticky enough to stay inside the ear.

One scratch...it's gone!

I've experimented with false eyelash glue, tape, and have just had the best success with the glue for press on fake nails you can buy at the drugstore. This stuff doesn't need to be heavily glopped on, just lightly smear it...and I've had best success with placing at the base of the ear. I can tell that I'll be able to take it out...but if I have trouble, I'll use a Q Tip with nail polish remove (with acetone) to release the glue.

I love how it's holding her right ear straight in the middle (where we've had some backward flopping on that one ear). We've had her trainer and her vet do all the taping because I was soooo bad at it.

But this Breathe Right is gonna work so well for us and with the stronger glue, she's not digging at it all the time either. I'll take it out i a week and see how we do.

Till now, her ear stands straight for a day or two, then the right ear flops in the middle back, in te middle of the ear.

I have read that others sometimes use 2 Breathe Right strips in order to get it all the way up higher, when the problem is higher up ine ear.

Khaleesi has a long show crop...it's beautiful on her, but what a pain!!!!

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
PS: after looking more closely at your picture, I'd guess you will need 2 strips, one at the base and then one that reaches to the tip.

You may want to have the strongest version at the base, then the lighter Breathe Right as the one that goes to the tip.

Getting the right glue that holds it is important. Others may have other glues they recommend, but i'm really happy with the press on nail glue. I've heard of super glue being used, but i'd be nervous of using something that wasn't approved for using on skin/nails.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Super glue? WT...really? That *bleeps* a *bleep* to get off on a good day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wouldn't recommend breathe rite strips starting at the base of the ear. If the bases are not strong enough or you have a fold in the middle, your not even ready to for the breathe rite strips IMO. They should be used at the end of posting when just the tips are wobbly or curving. Doug and Lucy> its hard to tell from one picture, but it looks like you can try the strips. Im just starting that with mine as well. I use Torbot bonding cement to the back of the sticky side of the breathe rite strip and a little more on the inside tip as long as strip. Wait for it to dry a little to get the glue tacky and then apply and hold for minute. The should stay on anywhere from a week, two or sometimes longer. I use a cotton ball with alcohol to clean the surface of the tip of the ear to make sure I have a clean surface with no oil!! Good Luck. I tried this too early a bit ago and after a couple of days my pups ears were bending where the strip stopped... so I kept posting. Now my pups show crop has been standing nicely for 11 days!!!

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
When I wrote base of the ear, I didn't mean all way down where the posts used to be!

I don't like the idea of super glue either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
haha, yea i didnt think you meant that either. I though u meant at the base, not deep down in the bell. Even at the base is not recommended. But I have had to fabricate posting too, for sores and rubs and what not.... so whatever works.

·
Censored
716 Posts
Once Doc's bases were strong, I used the breathe right strips and they worked great! I ordered a catheter glue and that worked excellent for keeping the strips on. Though if he had a playdate, I usually had to re-do them. Otherwise they held up for 3-5 days. His ears were done being posted around 5 months and just the tips would flop so after about four weeks of using the nasal strips, his ears stood beautifully.

I tried to find a link but cannot for the life of me remember what the name of the product was :( It came in a canister that reminded me of the ones that contained Rubber Cement....

Maybe someone else can chime in. Maybe just any medical adhesive will work...

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Ethan just graduated to Breathe Rite's yesterday at almost 10 months old. I used Torbot's adhesive per both his breeder Elaine and dobebug.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Cato just has this tiny little curl on the tip of one of his ears and so we are using breathe-rite strips(on both.) We trim them down to fit just the tip of his ears. I don't have a recommendation on where to place them for your pup but I did want to share how we get them to stay in his ear. After sticking them onto the tip of his ears we use a "second skin" (liquid bandage) to seal around the edges. They stay on for a few days, plus if you catch them before he pulls them all the way off you can reseal! Hope that helps!

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Thanks for that tip! No pun intended.

Khaleesi has just the tiniest curve at the very end of her ear & it drives my husband nuts, he is always commenting on it.

I'm gonna try this! She's 7 months old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts