Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I found the info on using breathe right strips for ears really interesting. It looks easy and I think I am going to try it on my 5 1/2mo Bella. Her ears stand up, but her tips are flopped. You guys are all saying its not too late, so i want to try. I saw your post with pic and explanation, easy enough. What I need clarified is how long do you keep the strip on the ear without causing any problems. like do I change the strip once a week? Dont adhesives breakdown skin if used long term. Or does she wear them part of the day? If someone can help me I would appreciate it. thanks:emo8:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
I did not really use to many on Jasmine, I preferred just to re-post with the tampons. This is probably because I did not use Skin bond just a little tape across the strip instead. So to answer your question, I left them on for about a week at a time or until it started coming off. Not much help...sorry!
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
Skin bond is made for human use-it's primary purpose is for appliances like colostomy bags. So I've never seen any sign that it does any damage to the skin. When I've used it, the Skin Bond kept things stuck for 7-10 days or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
I used breathe right strips with no problem for sadie. I only really used them for times when I was letting her ears dry out or if she had an ear infection which she was really prone to getting. I had no problems just with the adhesive on the strips. It was figuring out the best place to put them so when she did lay her ears back they wouldnt start to come loose. I continue to tampon post as much as I can to try to get more of a stand (she has a droopy ear when she's partially alert) but the breathe right strips seem to have helped too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
We used the breath right strips on Jada. She had one ear that the tip was drooping over a little. We usually kept it on about a week. My husband would take it off and then just keep an eye on the ear. If it started drooping he would put another one on. It is just a trial and error kind of thing until it gets strong enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,942 Posts
Bellesmom said:
Hi, everyone. I found the info on using breathe right strips for ears really interesting. It looks easy and I think I am going to try it on my 5 1/2mo Bella. Her ears stand up, but her tips are flopped. You guys are all saying its not too late, so i want to try. I saw your post with pic and explanation, easy enough. What I need clarified is how long do you keep the strip on the ear without causing any problems. like do I change the strip once a week? Dont adhesives breakdown skin if used long term. Or does she wear them part of the day? If someone can help me I would appreciate it. thanks:emo8:
How much of the tips are flopped? Do you have a picture?
Just make sure the flop isn't too big, like half the ear type break, you might need to keep on posting. Breathe right strips work great for the very tips not being straight enough. But you need to pair that with Skin Bond if you want them to stay on for about a week or so without having to mess with them. The Skin Bond won't do any harm and will come off on its own. There is also a spray you can use to help it come off if needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,942 Posts
SadesMom said:
(she has a droopy ear when she's partially alert)
She is still young, if she were mine I would keep on posting so the ear doesn't have a tendency to be so droopy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone that responed for you help. This is my first Dobie so i dont know anything about posting and I dont feel confident about it. So I thought the breathe right strips would work. I am going to try and post a pic of Bella(aka Belle) and let me know what you think. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
From looking at your picture I really think that you should continue to post. She is still young and I really dont think that the breathe right strips are going to do the trick at this stage. I know that posting can be frustrating at times but trust me it will pay off. I would repost her ears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
at what age do the ears actually set? to where you can't manip or adjust them anymore? Just out of curiousity. Always wondered.

btw...Belle is a cutie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
tjmom said:
From looking at your picture I really think that you should continue to post. She is still young and I really dont think that the breathe right strips are going to do the trick at this stage. I know that posting can be frustrating at times but trust me it will pay off. I would repost her ears.

I agree, I would keep posting. The strips like D&D's said are just for the very tips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone! Yes she is cute but what a handful! The Dobie personalty is so different from my german shepards! Well everyone is leaning towards posting again. Is there anywhere on this website that has pics or instructions on posting? thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Maybe do a search under "ear posting" also there is a thread called 1 ear up 1ear down it is the most current one. Good luck, she is a real cutie pie.
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
tjmom said:
From looking at your picture I really think that you should continue to post. She is still young and I really dont think that the breathe right strips are going to do the trick at this stage. I know that posting can be frustrating at times but trust me it will pay off. I would repost her ears.
Oh yeah, that's too big a job for breath rite strips. She needs to be posted.
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
Bellesmom said:
Thanks everyone! Yes she is cute but what a handful! The Dobie personalty is so different from my german shepards! Well everyone is leaning towards posting again. Is there anywhere on this website that has pics or instructions on posting? thanks again
The breeder education section of the DPCA website has directions for about 12 different methods of posting ears. Look there: www.dpca.org
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,537 Posts
Bellesmom said:
Is there anywhere on this website that has pics or instructions on posting?
Murreydobe said:
The breeder education section of the DPCA website has directions for about 12 different methods of posting ears. Look there: www.dpca.org
It took me awhile to find it within the site, but here's the direct link, Bellesmom:
http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/ears1.htm

Just keep hitting Next at the bottom for more methods.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,664 Posts
Bellesmom said:
Thanks everyone! Yes she is cute but what a handful! The Dobie personalty is so different from my german shepards! Well everyone is leaning towards posting again. Is there anywhere on this website that has pics or instructions on posting? thanks again
Ha ha ha....I'm finding Petey to be a handful too!!! Very different then my Weims. Petey is about a month younger then your Bella....so are you telling me he isn't going to calm down in the next month????

Carol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
Liza said:
at what age do the ears actually set? to where you can't manip or adjust them anymore? Just out of curiousity. Always wondered.

btw...Belle is a cutie!

It just depends. Sometimes you can be done around 5 months of age and some dogs take longer. It just depends on the post, the ear crop and the length of the ears.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top