Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out with a detailed process for the breathe right strip process for Rocco's ear tips? I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I could never get the Breath right strips to work. My dogs seemed to get them off and eat them before I could get up from applying them. Maddening. If you do use the strips, you might try the generic brand from Family Dollar Store or any dollar store. I just used a piece of tape around the center of the ear or continued posting. I think some folks have used the body glue as well.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I'm using breathe-right strips right now, the trick is using skin bond/surgical glue. Otherwise they'll fall off within minutes. :)

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Yeah, trying to keep strips in an ear without using one of the skin glues used to attach "appliances" to people is a hopeless endeavor. Skin Bond works. I've found that Torbot adhesive is even better--it's still a latex adhesive--the new Skin Bond by Smith and Nephews no longer contains latex.

Apply the bonding adhesive to the adhesive side of the strip (and I found that the "real" Breathe Rite strips were sturdier than the generics but using two of the generic brands worked too) and to the ear tip. Let them dry long enough that they aren't glossy. This is how any contact cement is supposed to be applied. Then press the strip on to the ear tip.

Usually lasts a minimum of a weeks--I often get 10 to 14 days from an application. And I leave them on until they come loose on their own.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I actually bought the Walgreens brand when I needed them. They would stick to Liberty's ears for 2-4 weeks usually unless she got wet frequently. No extra glue was needed... surprisingly. They're clear too, so they aren't quite as noticeable.

·
Banned
948 Posts
Would eye lash glue work? You can get eye lash glue anywhere. Getting the ostomy glue is more difficult to obtain - I think.?.

(Just read the thread.). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Would eye lash glue work? You can get eye lash glue anywhere. Getting the ostomy glue is more difficult to obtain - I think.?.

(Just read the thread.). Thanks!
Sometimes I go back and read older threads just to see what turned up...

Yes, you can use eye lash glue. If you do though, make sure you buy the kind that is intended to attach strips of lashes not the stuff for single lash application. I've used it a couple of times when I didn't order ostomy adhesive early enough and ran out when I was helping someone post. It actually lasted longer than any of the ostomy products--kept the breathe rite strips in for almost three weeks. The only problem with the eye lash glue is that most of it runs around $5 or more for a very small tube (about 1/16 oz.) and even with the exorbitant shipping fees the ostomy products like Skin Bond or Torbot are still only around $20-$25 for a 4 oz can. I get all of the adhesives from Allegro Medical Supplies--google that for the web site.

And I'd sure like to know how the heck Zephyr managed to keep the Walgreen generic strips in for so long with no additional glue? I use the Walgreen generics for specific types of ear tip problems but they are a little shorter than the Breathe rite strips so I don't use them for everything. But the puppy owner who tried to put them in without additional adhesive had no luck getting them to stay--they'd last a matter of hours and the pup would shake her head and they'd be dangling.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Liberty's tips both wanted to fall forward when we got to the breathe rite stage. Because of that, I opted to stick the strips on the back, hairy side of her ears instead. All I did was thoroughly clean the ears with alcohol prior to sticking them on. The clear plastic strips were most likely to come off in the first hour after I put them on. I guess the adhesive on the strip seemed to adhere very securely after that first hour had passed.

I didn't do anything extra, so I may have just been very lucky. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts