Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the doberman breed, but I am a pretty fast learner. My husband and I have been posting our female's ears using the Zonas tape and foam strips for support (identical to how our vet was doing). Just recently I was reading on this site about using the breath right strips. Could someone let me know about it as it might benfit us as our girl's ears are trying desperately to stay floppy. I alos read that alot of you used tampons for ear support and someone mentioned popsicle sticks I am fearful that the popsicle sticks might be to rigid and could hurt the inside of the ear.
Thanks!:help_up_2

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
We used the Breath rights only after we had a strong base of the ears, but the tips were still floppy. The ears were stabding good but just the tips needed support. Before then we were religiously posting away using the tampon methods. With using the breath right strips, we applied them with a little skin Bond, from Smith & Nephew that helped them stay on longer. It pretty much held for atleast 5 days.

How are the ears floppy? If its a total flop, no part of the ear is standing, then you need to continue posting.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
BTW, how old is your girl? IS she done teething yet? I pretty much were not satisfied with my girls ears until she was 7 months old. Then we used the breath right strips for the floppy tips. Also what kinda of crop does she have? Longer crops may take longer to stand than a shorter crop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response. My girl Sadie is 5 months old and she looks like an airplane's wings when her ears are down to be cleaned. The breeder we got her from said don't give up it will happen just when you think it won't ever. From what I have read it could take for her to be 6 or 7 months old or even longer. She has a medium crop.
Thank you again for the help.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We did the same thing w/ Java's ears as Kratty has suggested. Breathe Rights were used after the base of the ears held up well and just the tips needed fine-tuning. Be sure to get the brand name - I picked up the CVS generic and they don't have the fine wire in them and didn't give the same support. Given all the work it takes to glue them in place, you are better off getting strips that will do the job rightthe first time.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
at 5 months, she probably is still teething. Just continue to post and post and post...When you think your done posting, post again. Its better to post a little longer than not enough....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Kratty says:

"Just continue to post and post and post...When you think your done posting, post again."

Worked for me!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The continuous posting is the only downside I can see to owning the breed...but once the ears stand upright it is SO worth the time and attention.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Timing

Funny this topic should come up right now. Jada is 8 weeks into taping and over the weekend she starts scratching at her post like the devil so I take them off after only two days since new posts. I figured there was something irritating her about it this time. Sure enough the inside of one of the ears was irritated and she was sratching at the back of the ear in vain until she broke the skin. I noticed her ear swollen from all the sratching and decided to leaver her posts off and let her heal up a bit. This morning went to the vet to get some antiboitic and other stuff to help with the mild skin infection. Her ears are very strong except one tip is leaning in right at the top 1/4 inch.
Whipped out the Breathe Right strip and cut it to fit with a little Skin Bond to keep the tip straight.
As mentioned above this technique is only used for minor ear problems like stated above with Jada. Sounds like you need full blown posting for a while longer. Keep at it. How do the ears look aside from the leaning? Are they healthy looking, dry and free of infection? An infected ear is a weak ear.
Post some pics if you can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts