Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My wife and I recently adopted a mixed breed puppy. She was listed as a "Hound mix" but I believe her to have some Doberman in her, having grown up with 2 purebred Dobermans. Her head shape and ears indicated Doberman versus the long ears and droopy lips of a hound, and her color markings are identical to a doberman except for a white patch that runs from her chest down her belly. She is similar in size and build to our old Dobermans but not quite as lean and athletic. Also she has a "bark" rather than "bay" expected from a hound.

Does anyone have other ways (short of a DNA test) to tell what her breed may consist of? Here are some pictures.

We both come from "dog families" but she is the first dog we have had sole responsibility for, so we have lots of questions, but trying to understand more about her breed/genetics seems like it could answer some questions.

Thanks!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!

Bless you for choosing to Adopt!! Thank you. :)

Not sure what else she may have in her, she is a beautiful girl!

Hugz to.................what is her name? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lacy! Sorry I forgot to mention that.
Am I the only one that sees some strong Doberman look in her though?

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I agree that her face has a dobe look. She's darling?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's great! Not without issues, but what <1year old is?

Trying to figure out bathroom schedules/signs and so on has been a challenge, she gets distracted VERY easily, and seems to enjoy eating leaves, grass, and acorns as much as her Purina One which can get frustrating at times, but we're learning!

She and her two brothers all have shyness problems which is strange. Lacy has not been terrible with it so far, but sometimes she will be terrified of certain people, and just fine with others, so we'll figure it out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
HMMMM Distractly easily, eats plant life? Yes, def sounds like a dobie to me LOL But on a serious note, she could be looking for nutrients that are laking in Purina One...she's a cutey though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are there any dietary supplements or other reasonably priced dog food you might recommend? My family always just fed ours Kibbles n Bits, but that was primarly due to budget restraints. She seems to love the Purina 1 so far.

Is the ADD thing and greenery eating typical of Dobermans?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, does anyone know telltale signs for a Doberman vs. black and tan hound? It is my belief/understanding that Hounds have a "bay" rather than a "bark" is that always the case?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts