Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! This will be my very first post! I love the support from this group. You all are amazing! I will try to be brief and not too long winded. I have quite a few general questions. To better understand my questions you must first understand that before owning our current 4 month old Dobie puppy we owned a couple Weimaraners. With that said, I will politely say they were NOT the breed for me! Wow!! After that experience I was very gunshy to ever own another dog. Well, now years later we have 4 kids and they begggggggged for a dog! I knew what I wanted after all my research! Ok..now for questions. I have a female born 9/11/11, she is 27 lbs looks healthy, shiny coat, very playful all the good stuff. Her dad was 90lbs and mom was 75-80lbs. Can't figure out why she is so petite but oh well. She is so laid back that I am amazed! My kids climb all over her and do all the annoying things kids do and she could care less. NEVER ANY signs of aggression! She naps quite often and is perfectly content just lying so pretty on her puppy pillow. She is not really that hyper outside of normal puppy play. Is this normal? As I type this she is chewing and wrestling with her squeeky toys. Too cute to watch a puppy act like my 9 month old:D I figured I was signing up for 2 yrs of typical off the wall puppy. She doesn't eat her food like it's her last meal. She takes her time and nibbles throughout the entire day. She looooooves to lay down and take a nap with us. She is not a barker, again outside of normal puppy play, and she walks on a leash almost perfectly!!! Is she just buttering me up for the day we wake up and she says "GOTCHA!!!!" Now, I'm going to show you my true side...;) Just kidding. I can't believe how awesome she is!!!! Is all this normal for the breed or did I just really luck up? Also, we are crate training her but last night I let her sleep next to our bed on her pillow and she didn't move the whole night!!! WHAT!!???!! Totally not what I was expecting. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to the forums. My boy (now a year old) has always been laid back. He played like a normal puppy but when he wasn't playing with me or with other dogs he was pretty chill and relaxed. I agree with EmilyB, please don't let your kids climb all over the dog, it's not safe at all. One innocent surprise and a child may get a terrible bite and that never means anything good for the dog..

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
The switch hasn't clicked on yet...LOL j/k
Lucky you.
My Nubis can be an angel like that and then bam the switch goes off and his demon dog.
Now my female I had years ago, advanced past puppyiotus and was mellow but I always attributed it, to her guidance in how we treated the older male.
puppy stage might be ending but you still got the terrible teens to look forward to hehehe.
I'll pipe in too, don't let the kids all over her.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Welcome to DT. Are you free feeding your pup?

The doberteens are an inevitable phase, just you wait ;) I got my pup at 5 months of age. The breeder said he was the calmest in the litter and was more of an old soul. He was a very easy puppy(already house, crate, and dremel trained), but there comes a point in all young doberman's lives where they completely lose their brains!

I'll echo what the others are saying about how you allow your kids to treat her. You are really letting your guard down and expecting so much out of your dog. Dogs are not stuffed animals, please work on the respect issue and boundaries between your children and the puppy. Your pup might tolerate it for a while and then decide to snap. This is also teaching your kids that it's ok to annoy dogs in such ways. This could mean very bad news if they try to act that way with a dog that doesn't have such high tolerance levels. Dobermans are a very powerful and intelligent working breed, please respect their capabilities because no one wants to see a child or a dog get hurt, or read about another negative headline.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It is most likely true that you have a petite girl with an amazingly calm temperament, but you do have a girl who is pretty far out of the norm in multiple ways. Were she my puppy, for my own peace of mind, I would have a thorough physical exam and complete bloodwork and urinalysis done on her. Probably nothing, but better safe than sorry...

·
Super Cute Holly
227 Posts
mmctaq - i think thats a bit over the top. . I have a calm mellow girl too. . Which sounds exact same as dobemomma. . Just Because a dog is calm or relaxed and not a crazy pup does not melo something is wrong. . With them. .i have had dobies all my life and some have been calm mellow and relaxed. . And some not EVERY dog is different. . And saying things like that causes unnessery panic or anxiety. . Just be careful with your words. . If i were dobe momma and i read that. . I would freak out! ! But i know my girl IS HAPPY HEALTHY CALM AND MELLOW! :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Kiss wasn't really bad, but she gained energy as she grew. She went through a destructive faze, but lots of playing with other dogs pretty well took care of the high energy. It sounds like you are lucky. Kiss is always happy just to lay by/with/ON me whenever I sit down. And Velcro does seem to be a fitting statement for the breed.:p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have been lucky with your puppy so far. My kids have both learned to be pack leaders with our puppy and to be respectful of his personal space. Obedience training should start now and get your kids involved too so your pup will continue to be an awesome family pet.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Sounds like my Cleo. In all fairness when we had a sitter who left her out for too many hours unsupervised while we were on vacation she did eat our couch, but outside that she was always a dream. She ran and played and had fun, got energetic at just the right times. She was a dream to train thank goodness because I was pregnant with my first child and had a broken foot. She barked rarely and that was because there was someting to bark at, was very laid back and loved everybody; human, canine, feline, reptile. Was reliable and adored my kids who were raised to respect her and she them. She growled once in her lifetime when a neighbor came to visit after she was hit by a car, had major surgery and was still sedated and vulnerable. I'd say she was a dream girl every day of her 9 1/2 years of living, no dreaded doberteens to speak of. And, aside from what killed her, DCM sudden death, a perfect picture of health. So, yup, it happens.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have a 6 month puppy and from the first time I met him at 4 weeks to now he has always been pretty calm compared to what ive heard on the forum. I have taken him on really long walks, we have been to the dog park hours at a time and I have yet to see him pant LOL. He has a lot of stamina, he LOVES LOVES destroying his toys. The whole day I am telling him commands and teaching him something little by little everyday so that I am tiring him out mentally and physically.

And just like everybody else said I would have your kids know how to respect a dog and their limits. My brother and I were allowed to do all kinds of things to our dogs, of course nothing mean or anything but my brother did what he would do to our dog to a couple of other dogs and twice he was bitten in the face.

Reactions: dobemomma
1 - 15 of 15 Posts