Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a puppy with a year or two and don't know whether or not to get a girl or boy given my current circumstances.

I recently adopted a 2 y/o female Belgium Malinois/Shepard mix, although i was looking for a Dobe puppy, i couldn't see myself raising one at this time. She is a fairly dominant dog and we've been working on that and how she reacts to other dogs. She LOVESSS to play but plays way to rough. With that being said, would a male Dobe goofball be more fit for the role? I dont have a preference, just whatever will work. Although my long time GF will be getting a jack russel or a min pin sometime in the near future, and it has to be a male.

I know male dobes dont like other male dobes but how would they act toward eachother? I know every dog has their own personality but i'm just looking for a guide

ps Heres a picture of Zoey

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
If your girlfriend will be getting a male dog, that pretty much rules out a male Doberman. However, your "dominant" shepherd-ish female may not take well to another female, either. I'd work with an ethical breeder to find a good match for your dog. Or, look into rescue, where you can find an adult dog with an established personality and you can see how your girl does with that dog before committing.

·
Got mutt?
13,847 Posts
I have a fairly dominant mutt bitch (two years old), who has grown up with a more submissive male Rattie (twelve years old). She does not like other dogs too much, but she is managing to live with (and actually play with) a very submissive female GSD puppy (rescued at 12 weeks, now 20 weeks). It's not always easy, but we are making it work. I do agree with MeadowCat about finding the right match. If this puppy wasn't so submissive, it would either be World War III or "crate and rotate" around here. Even so, I don't leave toys out, and anytime they get yummies, they are all physically separated.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I agree with meadow cat your circumstances are tricky and you need to find a submissive male or female working with a breeder they should know the puppies well enough to know which puppy that is

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If your girlfriend will be getting a male dog, that pretty much rules out a male Doberman. However, your "dominant" shepherd-ish female may not take well to another female, either. I'd work with an ethical breeder to find a good match for your dog. Or, look into rescue, where you can find an adult dog with an established personality and you can see how your girl does with that dog before committing.
This exactly. I actually think that I like the idea of an older dog with an established personality. I think you're less likely to experience any big issues that way.

Also, Zoey is absolutely adorable!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have a female rat terrier and added the female dobe. Things started to change when Kyrah, dobe, turned around 15-18months. We went thru some female/female issues which for the time being is in a neutral zone. The way that Kyrah even just looks at a female is so different than how she does a male. My male terrier could probably get along with any another dog...but that has to do with his personality. He is very calm...not wanting to be around any chaos. He will just leave. So male or female both of the ones you are going to already have could be pretty dominate breeds. You may have a hard time placing in a third dog.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If your not used to same sexes this is my thought also. With a little older of a rescue you at least know what your getting for the most part :)

I had a GSD/Mal cross for almost 1.5 yrs until I found the right home for him (he had previous police training). He was more Mal looking then Zoey. I miss him dearly but no matter what we tried he absolutely HATED my hubby's working K9 at the time. Little did I know that he would pass 1.5 mos after his retirement of lukemia :( I placed him about 3 mos before that. It was crate and rotate before that however the whole 1.5 years.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I have a very dominant female and a more submissive girl as well. While it does have its challenges, we have not had any issues as of yet with them. Bella is just over a year and Nexus is a bit over 2, her personality is pretty much set in stone, she is top dog, she was here before Bella and I think Bella knows this. However, Bella takes no crap and Nexus knows this too. She will sometimes try to sit on top of Bella and she will get a small warning growl, and move off her. Likewise when Bella does something Nexus doesnt like she gets the growl. They have never actually fought, only gotten a little voicey with each other. I know Bella still has some maturing to do but being its been this way since she came home, it seems to work for them and she accepts it. I think it maybe a little easier with 2 females, or so it is my experience and all I have read. However, again you have to get the right 2 dogs, I think I was lucky there. Even though Bella came from a hobby breeder, who does not show or test, she did do a good job of giving me the temperament I wanted in a second girl. I am in no way promoting her, or hobby / byb/ but in my case, again I got lucky. Lets hope her health holds up the same way.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
If one girl is pretty dominant and one girl is mellow enough it can work between 2 bitches. Fiona is more dominant than Tali and she is rarely female friendly (she's actually pretty unimpressed by most male dogs now, too - Fi has become an equal opportunity queen bitch with male and female dogs). I had to learn to manage Fiona differently, to put it lightly, as she matured but it can be done.

My girls live together easily now, play together some, and on rare occasions they even allow the other to lay close enough to touch one another on the sofa (this is about as cuddly as my bitches are together - usually if one lays down and touches the other, there's a bitchy warning even though the one that just laid down is already up and moving away as soon as they realize they're touching LOL).

If you get a pup from a good breeder they will do their best to pick a pup for you that will work in your current household, and they'll also be there for guidance if things get...bumpy. :) A good breeder will want it to work just as much as you do.

I personally wouldn't try housing a male Dobe with another male dog. I've had to pull my 2 off each other and it's not easy (thankfully it's been peaceful at home for over a year). I can't imagine if I were trying to pull an adult male Dobe off another dog. I'm not a big woman and I wouldn't want to try to get in the middle of that. Maybe housing males together wouldn't be much different than my 2 girls, but the concern of "what-if" is enough of a deterrent for me to ever entertain the idea of trying. If you haven't experienced 2 Dobermans pissed at each other, fighting, and you having to step in it can be hard to get your head around how serious the situation can be. I personally wouldn't try it with 2 males and I will likely never have another pair of same-sex Dobes at all -females included. It's been a learning experience - and I love my girls immensely and it's fine now - but it's easier to remove that concern by having male-female pairs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the inputs everyone but i have a slightly larger issue on my hand. As of this morning, Zoey bit my friends father in the leg. Not sure where to go from here but i contact the rescue group i got her from and awaiting a reply.

scene of events:
We went on a mini weekend vacation up to Maine at my friends cottage.
Arrived around 11 last night, she met his father and his uncle this morning at about 7AM and they were fine.
They were fine up until 11AM where we were moving some wood. He walks by with a stick in his hand and waves it in front of her head and walks away.
She goes after him barking growling snarling you name it. This was no play date, she wanted to put him down.

Don't know what to do from here :(

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I have to ask: Why did he wave a stick in front of her head? Some dogs would take this as a threat and respond accordingly. If someone threatened my dog by shaking a large object near their face I would expect him to 'wave back' per say. It sounds like he tried to antagonize her

·
Got mutt?
13,847 Posts
I wonder if she had been hit before you adopted her?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know why, he did it as a playful gesture, but nobody knows if she was abused or her history. It does seem she was though which is a shame.

She flipped out on my vet which is an older gentleman so maybe its older guys she hates? i don't know.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah i agree, my friends dog cooper, we live with him so he is use to us,
But if any male or person with a hat comes into our yard including if his met them
he goes crazy. Luckily enough my friend is working with him very well but he'll
Always have that issue with men and hats which is a shame something just clicks for him.
He was rescued from a station. And was blaytently mis treated.

I would as said get a professional involved, sort out her floors before
Stressing out with a new pup :)

She is beautiful tho! I wish you the best if luck :D

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
You have to know your dog. My male is fine with other males and lives with a male mini doxie mix and 2 female dogs. I had his litter mate sister here for about 5 months while she found a great home and she was bossy and intense with my small female dog, who is also very bossy and dominating. It was an accident waiting to happen and although I adored the female dobe it would not have worked because of my little female. I can see a male dog living here if it is a breed that is known to get along with others but not a breed who is known for same sex aggression, same with a female actually. I see you having more problems with a female dog and your current bitch but if your girlfriend is insistant on a male of one of those two breeds you could be risking it if you get a male doberman. I would say get an older female who is submissive or don't get one at all because of your girlfriends preferences in breeds.

My male doberman seems to be different than a lot of males on this chat. He seems to be the exception though. He gets along well with my sisters dogs, one has a male golden and one has two male aussies. we spend weeks together several times a year. He is rather lab like in his temperament, my male, so I can't go by him. I have lived with a male who was very dominant and dog aggressive, especially towards other males and I could never have had another male dog live with us. If your girlfriend picked a different small breed, a more passive breed then "perhaps" you could have a male doberman which would be best for your current female. Personally if I was you I would not get a doberman at all in your situation, sorry, I know that isn't what you want to hear. I'd get another breed who is known to get along with others better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts