Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
his original cancers were two individual masses on either loin (thats why he has the big scar on one side) that came back as keloid type cutaneous fibrosarcoma.

this aspirate of a small mass on his back came back as mesenchymal tumor, likely neoplastic. which would fit with what his previous cancer was - they suggest a fibrosarcoma (low-grade).

hes tentatively scheduled for surgery to remove it with huge margins on friday - though i may push it back til next week.

hes got a cardio check up tmw, since he has DCM, to make sure hes safe for surgery.

im a wreck.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Kim I'm so sorry, I will be saying prayers for you and Bowie for good news and good health. Please keep us updated as you and Bowie will be in our thoughts everyday.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
doberkim said:
his original cancers were two individual masses on either loin (thats why he has the big scar on one side) that came back as keloid type cutaneous fibrosarcoma.

this aspirate of a small mass on his back came back as mesenchymal tumor, likely neoplastic. which would fit with what his previous cancer was - they suggest a fibrosarcoma (low-grade).

hes tentatively scheduled for surgery to remove it with huge margins on friday - though i may push it back til next week.

hes got a cardio check up tmw, since he has DCM, to make sure hes safe for surgery.

im a wreck.
Oh Kim..I *bet* you're a wreck!

Poor Bowie...that guy has been through so much.

Keep us posted on how the cardio checkup turns out.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Wow, Poor Guy. I can't even imagine what you guys are going through. We will certainly keep you in our prayers also. Stay Strong.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Our prayers are with you also,special hugs from me and the gang.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Really sorry to hear this. Nikita and I are hoping that since Bowie beat this once already he can do it again...sounds like he's a fighter and doesn't give up so easily. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh man, just like everyone here, I am very sorry for what you guys are going through. I wish for the best and I too will keep yall in my thoughts. I am sad to report we will be taking Vegas to the vet...he has a small lump on his front left shoulder. HUGGS TO YOU AND YOUR BABY!!!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys....

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bowies cardio appt was this afternoon, and hes all set for surgery tomorrow. his heart hasnt changed much (its now over 2 years since he was diagnosed with DCM), though his fractional shortening today was only 19% - but he was a little dehydrated since its hot here and he was in the car for a long time before hand since they couldnt fit us in during the morning appts as originally planned.

he went to the petstore, saw his reiki therapist, got hugs and kisses from many people - got a bully stick and a new stuffy, had some burger king (yes, going all out - the dog has cancer, i think hes allowed some splurges today!), and then mooched two drs and one student out of part of their lunch at the vet school. he stood in the center of the phone bank at tufts for an hour while we waited, begging each person for pets, hugs and kisses.

so, tmw morning i go in with him at 8 am for surgery...hopefully it will be very quick and we can get good clean margins.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hope all works out for you.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks. im leaving for the hospital in 10 minutes... im so nervous im ready to vomit.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bowies out of surgery!

and waking up fine...

surgery went well - got the mass, and he now sports a 7 inch or so incision on his right flank.

it was pretty uneventful! he was very sedate from the pre-med and spent an hour laying in our induction room with a pillow while people walked over him, induced other animals, and wheeled animals in and out of surgery (yes, theres somethign to be said for special treatment, king bowie had his throne!). he still fought the induction and we had to use more than expected, but he did well. he was pretty bradycardic (slow heart rate) in surgery, but he only threw one VPC the entire time. he was pretty cold by the end, and he was recovering very slowly in the ICU so i partially reversed him and as i turneda round, he stood up in the run and tried to follow me!

i left him comfortable on two fleece blankets, under a quilt, with a pillow for his head watching the ICU. im going back later tonight (im working the overnight, im going to attempt to get SOME sleep!), and he will be coming back home with me tomorrow morning. he will have IV pain meds tonight if he needs them (And if he lets other people touch him! = they had a hard time believing mr. stud muffin was ever bad!)

so, hopefully this is the end of this cancer scare - hopefully we got clean margins, and hopefully bowie will be home sitting on his leather throne...i mean couch, tomorrow morning!

now i can breathe again.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Oh Kim - I am so sorry you are obth going thru this! Are you at Tufts outside of Boston? that is where I am from.

it sounds like he came thru the surgery quite well even with the DCM. I will say a prayer that the marginals are all clean and they got everything out.

Pollo goes in on Monday morning to get his teeth cleaned and a mass removed from is armpit and two other growths removed froma fron and rear leg. the vets say they are fine, but I won't breath till I see the path report. Please get some rest so you can take care of that poor little bunny when he gets home.

all my good thougths are with you
cc

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I am so glad that things went well and that he will be back at home tommorrow. Sounds like he is well taken care of and very comfortable. We send him all of our love and prayers and hopefully he will be back to himself soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts