Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
off of craigslist, through my own research I found out the dog had a co owner who lost contact with other co owner . lady was just glad i had her dog and that he was ok, she was really nice and assured me he was now my dog. since buying him the original seller and co owner wont respond to emails or phone calls. question is if I know akc# of my dog is there anyway of getting him reg to me without either former owner

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
'Fraid not. If you want to do any performance stuff with him, you can get a PAL# for him provided that he's been castrated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that stinks, co owner is judge in akc, thought akc people had more ethics but I guess people are people. should or could i report them and get them in trouble or at least get my dog unregistered to them

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Honestly, I would let the breeder handle any issues with breach of contract regarding the co-owner. That's not your place.

However, since you have a dog from this person's breeding whom you did not technically acquire on the up-an-up (by no fault of your own) I would remain in contact with the breeder. It sounds like they're not interested in taking the dog from you and, this is just my personal opinion, but I think it's the "right" thing to do to remain in contact since you have one of their dogs and they're being understanding about your position.

If you can't easily get the registration transferred, I would just go ahead and get an AKC PAL # if you're going to be competing with the dog. Much easier than the headache of trying to track down the person who sold you the dog and involve yourself in a battle over paperwork with them.

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
Have the origoinal co-owner that you contacted to update help you out. They're probably pretty pissed at the other person right now so they'll be more likely to want to help you out

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I noticed in your other thread, you were talking about the dog's pedigree, and said he is an Agador son. I'm curious as to why you want the registration transfrerred to you? So you can do fun stuff like obedience and rally, or so you can breed him? Like others have said, if you want to do stuff like obedience/rally, just get a PAL.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
that stinks, co owner is judge in akc, thought akc people had more ethics but I guess people are people. should or could i report them and get them in trouble or at least get my dog unregistered to them
There's nothing to report them for. No one is obligated to transfer ownership on a dog registered in their name.

Technically, you DON'T own that dog until both co owners transfer ownership.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
didnt want to breed him but would like to see his record kept, like date of death and I was interested in akc events. im just pissed guy sold me someone elses dog and then when i ask him about it and ask for his papers he disappears. pal# seems like way to go.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
didnt want to breed him but would like to see his record kept, like date of death and I was interested in akc events. im just pissed guy sold me someone elses dog and then when i ask him about it and ask for his papers he disappears. pal# seems like way to go.
That's Craigslist for ya.

Believe me, there are waaaay worse CL stories out there.

Shame on whoever pimped him out on CL in the first place.

I would keep in contact with the co-owner you've already had discussions with.

Reactions: cbearsdobelover

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Can you get a PAL # even though his AKC # is known? I wonder what would happen if the other co-owner wanted him back. Is he chipped?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Can you get a PAL # even though his AKC # is known? I wonder what would happen if the other co-owner wanted him back. Is he chipped?
Getting a PAL on a registered (bred by a lousy breeder) dog was discussed in this thread. http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/65649-register-pal.html?highlight=PAL The circumstances were different, though. That dog had been turned over to a rescue, and the person who adopted the dog worked with the rescue.

I'm not sure about what would happen if the other owner wanted the dog back, though. Legally, who would own the dog? The OP was given a bill of sale for the dog, but not his registration papers. Would a bill of sale have more weight than registration papers, or vise versa?

Reactions: VZ-Doberman

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would keep trying to get in touch. Maybe she's on vacation or a judging assignment. If they never get back in touch, it does make them look sleazy. You purchased the dog honestly. they know it. why shouldn't you have his registration papers?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Getting a PAL on a registered (bred by a lousy breeder) dog was discussed in this thread. http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/65649-register-pal.html?highlight=PAL The circumstances were different, though. That dog had been turned over to a rescue, and the person who adopted the dog worked with the rescue.

I'm not sure about what would happen if the other owner wanted the dog back, though. Legally, who would own the dog? The OP was given a bill of sale for the dog, but not his registration papers. Would a bill of sale have more weight than registration papers, or vise versa?
Not sure on this. I know that both owners must sign when the dog is sold. The co-owner who sold the dog on CL needs to answer for the fraud for selling a dog that was not completely hers to sell. The buyer should get his money back and the dog returned to the co-owner who needs to settle the matter with the other co-owner. Kind of like a co-owned car. One of the owners cannot sell it without the signature of the other. And without clear title the car cannot be registered to the new owner.

What's to stop the other co-owner from coming back on the new owner and demanding the dog be returned. Or if the new owner neuters the dog and the co-owner wanted to breed the dog at some point down the road. Who is responsible for the vet bills?

What a mess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hopefully my emails just arent getting through or shes on vacation. I heard she moved away. I should say that when I contacted both kennel owners from my dogs parents both seemed very nice, they knew my/their dog by name, knew the ass that sold me the dog by name and they both seemed happy that he was now living with me. She, co-owner said I should have him nueterd for health purposes so hopefully none of this will ever become an issue. Im sure she's pissed at this guy for selling her dog and although I love him more than life, hes my first dobie, I would do the right thing and return him to her

1 - 17 of 17 Posts