Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a litter of 7 puppies, 4 male and 3 female. The males were born with NBT trait, natural bob-tails where as the females were born with the traditional long tail. The parents are a European female and an American male. Anyone have more information on the NBT trait? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You! I had read that thread but I was curious about the high number of NBT trait in my litter. I've heard of it showing up from time to time but 4 out of 7 in one litter and only affecting the males seemed strange. Thanks again. A.

·
Premium Member
10,606 Posts
If you stir the genetic pot you can get almost anything. And in any quantity. I was researching something else entirely and ran into a listing for a carrier to carrier (vWD) breeding which should have produced 1/4 clear, 1/2 carrier ad 1/4 affected puppies (if you ignore the fact that you only get numbers like that with many sets of data) but in that particular case in 11 puppies they got 10 clear and 1 carrier.

You really have to go and look at the accumulated data on Manx cats--they are the most studied of bobs produced and if you talk to knowlegable breeders they will tell you that you don't want to breed bobs to bobs because you start getting the associated rear skeletal issues that MurreyDobe talks about in her posts in the linked thread.

The older Doberman books from Germany (and hard to find for sale these days) talk about the early attempts at breeding natural bobs and it was seen as unsuccessful as too many genetic failures were produced.

Aussie breeders tried it too--they were no more successful. You get too many genetic failures which create dogs with no anal opening and with no nerve connections so they end up incontinent. Just to list a couple.

In manx cats they breed long tailed Manx to rumpies (bob tailed cats) or to stumpies (cats born with partial tails) in order keep that lethal gene under control.

With Aussies they don't bother try to breed natural bobs. Too many genetic problems connected with the gene. And there doesn't seem to be any way to control actual tail length so even if you manage to produce litters with mostly bobs--the Aussie breeders tell me they end up needing to dock most of the puppies anyway.

And this is what the early breeders found when they tried to produce natural bobs in Dobermans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts