Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope You can give me info. My last vet recomended giving bordetella vaccine twice a year. I have never had any of my dogs get that illness,so I attributed it to being covered with the vaccine. This new vet recommends once a year. Have any of you had experience with this? How often do you have it given? Some sites say the vaccine lasts only 4-6 months. I guess I`m concerned because there seems to be some controversy of over vaccinating our pets.
Our babies do get kenneled 3 times a year. We also go to parks and classes.
Thanks for any info. I guess I`m trying to gather info to make a decision.

·
Banned
6,744 Posts
I ALWAYS make sure mine get it every 6 months on the money..... I take them so many places, that it is not worth it to me to chance it. I think generally they are given once a year, but most boarding facilities and classes require them every 6 months.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
******* got the bordetella vaccine and still got kennel cough. I think it is more effective in some dogs than others. My vet gives it once a year.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Okie-dobie said:
******* got the bordetella vaccine and still got kennel cough. I think it is more effective in some dogs than others. My vet gives it once a year.
There are many, many different strains of bordetella, the vaccine doesn't protect against all of them. My dogs are heavily exposed to other dogs all the time at shows, I've only had one of them get kennel cough once. And that was shortly after the dog had gotten vaccinated for it.

The only time I vaccinate for bordetella is when I *have* to, if they're being boarded.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Both our dogs get it once a year, but they aren't ever boarded anywhere. I have mentioned being concerned to my vet because we go for walks to the doggy "hot spots" in town, and places like petsmart/petco..etc. He says not to worry so much and they should be fine. I believe I have mentioned before that our Vet is like an old horse doctor, we love him, but sometimes I am not sure about his advice :D

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,378 Posts
Murreydobe said:
There are many, many different strains of bordetella, the vaccine doesn't protect against all of them. My dogs are heavily exposed to other dogs all the time at shows, I've only had one of them get kennel cough once. And that was shortly after the dog had gotten vaccinated for it.

The only time I vaccinate for bordetella is when I *have* to, if they're being boarded.
Me too,never had a case of kennel cough once,with all the shows and training classes that we attend.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We had the same problem as Okie.
We vaccinate once a year for bordetella (required for our training and boarding) but Abby picked up kennel cough last year. As Murreydobe said it was likely a strain that is not protected.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java gets the vaccine that requires an update every 6 mos. Boarding requires that the vaccine be kept current. Have heard of dogs getting kennel cough from sharing water bowls at dog park. Had no idea there was more than one strain - must be like the cold or flu for humans.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. It is true there are many strains. It just gets very confusing on how often. This vet likes once a year )which you have to have for classes.boarding etc. I will run it by her again as we will be boarding middle of March (for 3 days)

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
The only time I vaccinate for bordetella is when I *have* to, if they're being boarded.[/QUOTE]

I am going to do the same. It's like getting the flu shot, it only protects against a few strains and I never get it. IMO, a good immune system will fight off many strains of kennel cough.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The only dog that I vaccinate this for is Doodle because he is in getting groomed so often. He has also come out twice with kennel cough at another grooming office. The only time the others get vaccinated is when they get kenneled. It is required then and they do it before they are admitted. I don't have that much faith in the vaccine to do all of my dogs.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Our dogs get it once a year. We have been taking Titus to the dog park for about a year and a half and he did training classes when he was younger and we have not had any problems. The kids dont get boarded so I am unsure what the boarding places around here require.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
*******'s obedience class requires it and also the daycare I use to take her to. This is where she picked it up, I'm sure. So she will have to keep getting it as long as I keep her in classes. :(

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Murreydobe said:

Me too. My male got vaccinated years ago and got bordetella from his vaccination.

I haven't given the vaccination in years and wouldn't have given it then except I had to board him for an emergency situation.

Our dogs go everywhere with us, camping, hiking, dog clubs, many dog shows, doggie daycare, and various places and they have always been fine without the vaccination.

My holistic vet supports this, the normal vet recommends once a year.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I have been to three, we go to one regularly.
The three were pretty modern and up to date on feeding and vaccinations and accepted titers as far as older puppies and adults go.
From my understanding puppies had to have all their shots though, the first rounds at least.
One I went to didn't allow intact dogs over a certain age. The other two work with show dog people often and don't have that restriction.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.