Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few books for me. I know about the DT library, but I don't know which ones to pick or which ones to start with. I am looking for a dog book/books on the following:

1)Dog Body Language
2)General Doberman info
3)General Dog training
4)Schutzhund

Any other books that helped you or your dog would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Positive-Dog-Training/dp/0764536095

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson, Just read a review by Lew Olsen on this one in the newsletter I get from his website. Here is his review..."I recommend the book, "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, to help you better understand your puppy. She helps you understand how puppies and dogs think, and stop us from a shared 'error' of trying to relate 'human' motivation to dogs. Dogs are much more straightforward than people are and work well in a 'safe', positive environment that is consistent! Dogs do not feel 'guilt', nor do they use retribution, but can cower if our behavior is inconsistent or over bearing. Dogs need quiet, simple commands and work best with motivational techniques such as using food and lots of verbal praise! Please, please avoid 'dominance' techniques. Dogs do not understand this and it only teaches them fear and force. Dogs are quite willing to learn and do what we ask as long as we reward the good and learn how to handle unwanted behavior using distractions and other non-threatening techniques." From: B-Naturals Newsletter - December, 2011 [email protected]

Well now I see you are interested in schutzhund and you are supposed to raise those puppies different, so I don't know if you can use the above books or not. The average owner uses them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not interested in Sch. for my first dobe, but I would like to look more into it for the future.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: LindaH

·
Super Moderator
21,744 Posts
Yes to both of the books Linda recommended.

I think that Leslie McDevitt's book, Control Unleashed, is great for all dogs, not just those that are reactive. Very useful tools in there. I also LOVED the book, "The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training." Very, very useful.

Definitely pick up a copy of Turid Rugaas's book (and DVD if you can), "Calming Signals: On Talking Terms with Dogs." That should be required reading for every dog owner.

If you are interested in Schutzhund (even in the future), there is a member here who clicker trains her Schutzhund dog. So don't rule out using positive methods for bite sports. If you're interested, I can give you the name of a local Schutzhund trainer - he's very nice and willing to talk with people. You could go observe some training, too, if you wanted.

When it's time, I'd also be happy to recommend some local trainers for you.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I really like The Focused Puppy book by Deborah Jones, Ph.D & Judy Keller (Clean Run: Focused Puppy). The website you buy it from, Clean Run, is doing free shipping on orders over $100 at the moment. There are heaps of other good books you can get from there, Control Unleashed is also available on there.

Reactions: Barkz

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're interested, I can give you the name of a local Schutzhund trainer - he's very nice and willing to talk with people. You could go observe some training, too, if you wanted.
:eek2:THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are great. Does anyone have any specifically on Doberman now?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quincy authored and published a book:
"How to train your human".

it worked. :p
LOL Quincy must have had a lot of rough nights trying to train you! :roflmao:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Serious note, ording these books online is expensive so I need to order them soon. I am going to order:

Control Unleashed
Calming signals
Culture Clash
Power of Positive Dog training
Quincy's How to train your human

I still would like a good book about just the Doberman breed specifically and I really do not want to reorder another book and have to pay for more shipping than I already do, so if anyone of you lovely people would mention one tonight I would owe you big time!

Reactions: Q734

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not sure how long it is before you will be getting a dog but volunteering for a rescue can be a huge help. Not only for you by working with multiple dogs with different temperaments and drives. You will also be helping dogs in need, and rescue's desperately need volunteers, their is no minimum commitment. Just a thought.

As for your books on training-anything on operant conditioning.

One good Schutzhund book is Der Schutzhund by Helmet Raiser.

Their are many good books on the breed but realize they will vary by author on certain topics.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure how long it is before you will be getting a dog but volunteering for a rescue can be a huge help. Not only for you by working with multiple dogs with different temperaments and drives. You will also be helping dogs in need, and rescue's desperately need volunteers, their is no minimum commitment. Just a thought.

As for your books on training-anything on operant conditioning.

One good Schutzhund book is Der Schutzhund by Helmet Raiser.

Their are many good books on the breed but realize they will vary by author on certain topics.
A ways away lol. That is why I want to read all these books and get as much knowledge absorbed in the next few years as possible. Ya I plan to volunteer at the Minnesota Doberman Rescue before I buy a dog and who knows, maybe adopt one.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I got a bunch of books on Amazon "used" that were in nearly perfect condition and mega cheap.
Just a thought ;)

"The Other End of the Leash" was interesting for learning about behavior and dog body language.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
You've gotten a lot of good recommendations! Pretty much all of the books I would have offered, actually.

For books specifically about the Doberman:

The Doberman Pinscher: Brains and Beauty, by Rod Humphries and Joanna Walker

There's another good one, more like a collection of articles by various authors...it includes Peggy Adamson's "Ilena and the Seven Sires". However, the title of the book escapes me. I'll try to dig it up, or somebody else will know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a bunch of books on Amazon "used" that were in nearly perfect condition and mega cheap.
Just a thought ;)

"The Other End of the Leash" was interesting for learning about behavior and dog body language.
Well I think you are a liar because mine are not cheap lol :)

·
Super Moderator
21,744 Posts
Reactions: GingerGunlock
1 - 20 of 30 Posts