Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up? I'm finally set on the dog I want. I'm going to get a Doberman and train it to be an attack dog because they're cool and if any of the thugs in my town want to mess with me, I'll have it bite their face off.

Heh, joking. I was looking for the past year, really set on an APBT as a lot of my friends own these dogs or boxers. They've been nothing but loving and if any thing, a "nuisance" about craving too much attention (Not necessarily a nuisance, but my one friend's pit will start off with it's head in your lap and end up with it's whole body there every time you sit down....pit's aren't exactly lap dogs).

The only problem is I recently moved back in with my parents due to problems with the room mates I had not wanting to pay rent and other things, so they've finally caved and let me get a dog, but said NO PITBULLS, which made the decision a lot easier.

The other dog I was looking at was a Doberman. Ever since I've first started looking at APBT I learned of the Shutzhund sport and figured that that would be a way to have fun with the dog (as long as the dog is willing to do that) and would be something worth training for and would be a good expenditure of energy. Well, I found out the other day that one of the guys on my sportbike site is in a Shutzhund club that meets every Saturday about 15 minutes from where I live and I'm riding out with him to check it out.

Now I don't even own a doberman yet, but I'm starting the process of buying the goods needed for ownership and looking around the area for a reputable breeder. I'm not sure how good or bad of a decision this is, but I'm not too set on the parents having a massive amount of titles as long as the dogs are purebred, health tested, and or good temperment. But I guess having a sire that has a few Shutzhund titles won't necesarrily be bad?

Well, I'm off ot work, but if any know of any breeders around NoVa, WV, MD, Souther PA, that they could reccomend, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome Village Idiot! When I read your first few lines I thought OH NO here we go again.

:3dbiggrin

Anyway, seeing you are serious I hope you find what you are looking for and by the way, Dobes are lapdogs too, they are velcro dogs, want and thrive on lots and lots of attention. But they are the best!

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
LOL, I almost locked the thread :)

Welcome Village Idiot - I suggest you start your search for a reputable breeder here: http://dpca.org/BreedRef/index_html.htm Make sure you read, or better yet memorize this page before you contact any breeders: http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm

But before you do that - Take a bit to make sure this is something you really want to do now. You said you just moved back in with your folks - odds are that you aren't planning on staying there for the next 10+ years. Finding a rental is difficult with a Doberman in many areas. When you decide to move out - What will happen if you can't find a place that will allow you to have a Dobe? I'm not trying to discourage you or be a negative Nelly or anything - Just make sure you really think everything out, including the future before you bring a pup home.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TracyJo said:
LOL, I almost locked the thread :)

But before you do that - Take a bit to make sure this is something you really want to do now. You said you just moved back in with your folks - odds are that you aren't planning on staying there for the next 10+ years. Finding a rental is difficult with a Doberman in many areas. When you decide to move out - What will happen if you can't find a place that will allow you to have a Dobe? I'm not trying to discourage you or be a negative Nelly or anything - Just make sure you really think everything out, including the future before you bring a pup home.
I have that under cover. The place I lived before and most any place I'll be staying at in town is a house or town house and I went to the school with the person owning the properties. That or a friend of mine and moved into a house he just had built and is looking for a room mate. In fact, any place I go to will probably have a little more space than where I'm currently at. I'll be here for a little while though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts