Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So first of all, hopefully my avatar worked.

My husband is a hunter and recently shot two doe’s. Well I asked the processor to keep some of the joints and long bones for our boy. So I ended up with basically all the bones… I won’t be keeping all of them as some would obviously not be safe for him to chow on. I expected they would freeze them right along with the other meat we are getting from them. When I arrived home from work today they were in a bag on the porch. :[ So I need to know what the best way to prepare and preserve them would be. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated greatly!

:thanx:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
They need to be frozen for a few weeks to kill off any parasites. My husband and father are also deer hunters, and I have a whole bag full of bones for Gunner from a recent buck my dad shot. Feed them raw after they have been frozen for a few weeks. Gunner LOVES them :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Congratulations on the kills, what a nice treat for your boy.

I wouldn't feed the leg bones, because the will be hard as nails. Support bones are usually to hard and will break teeth.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Definitely appreciate the tips! Did not know that about leg bones... appreciate the heads up. Question tho... isn't that generally what they sell @ the store??
yes it is often what the sell at the store and that's why I don't usually give the ones at the store. I refer to them as "wreck" bones vs 'rec' bones. Too many issues of dogs breaking teeth on them for me to feel comfortable. I do have to add that I'm a pretty good stress nut though :)

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have alway gave mine the leg bones over the years i have not had any issues but i don't give them the ribs because they are to soft and splinter easy. They are always there to help when it's time to butcher

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Good to know. Dugan's teeth muct be rock solid then. Tell yah what... that makes just about as much sense as using corn as a main ingredient in their food. Doh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts