Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here she is:

Crufts 2012 - Dobermann Best of Breed - YouTube

I did prefer the other, think she was quite lacking in fore chest but congrats nonetheless :)

Anyone who was there, how was it?

Edited to add: I thought my dogs were naughty in the ring, I dont want to turn this into a debate but Westminster seems to have superbly trained and behaved dogs. Do they have a different sort of show handling in England?

·
Registered
653 Posts
The bitch was sired by one of the CH males the judges own.

The same sire was the sire of the Best puppy dog... and bitch and many other class winners.

Its safe to say the judges like the type their own dogs produce. :)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
that is why it is always a good idea to have/make a judges book.

then if you do not have the type a certain judge prefers.................... it is no surprise when that certain judge does not put up your dogs.

the game of showing is...........just that............a game.

what is the BOB winners pedigree..............anyone have a link to the information....i could not find anything..............gosh darn. :)

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Here she is:

Crufts 2012 - Dobermann Best of Breed - YouTube

I did prefer the other, think she was quite lacking in fore chest but congrats nonetheless :)

Anyone who was there, how was it?

Edited to add: I thought my dogs were naughty in the ring, I dont want to turn this into a debate but Westminster seems to have superbly trained and behaved dogs. Do they have a different sort of show handling in England?
Dang! The combination of dial up and my computer which doesn't like anything on U-tube means I can't see that--I don't know why I even try it just frustrates me.

I wasn't there but in answer to your question about the difference in handling for conformation in England by comparison to AKC is that it's been commented on many times--It evidently isn't just England--but people who have been to Crufts have usually come away amazed at the fact that a lot of dogs, even winning dogs are NOT "handled" in the way we think of and that grooming in coated dogs is rarely to the kind of standard you see in even small AKC shows.

The continental Euro shows also come as a shock to people--AKC absolutely forbids double handling of any sort--you can get excused, fined and end up before a bench committee for double handling here. European shows--especially for breeds like Dobes expect double handling. I saw a video that someone took in a big German show of Dobes--there would be the handler of the dog and the dog in the ring and outside the ring an owner jumping up and down--waving stuff (looked like maybe tug toys) and food in an attempt to attract the dogs attention.

Big contrast in what goes on at shows there as opposed to here.

·
Registered
653 Posts
that is why it is always a good idea to have/make a judges book.

then if you do not have the type a certain judge prefers.................... it is no surprise when that certain judge does not put up your dogs.

the game of showing is...........just that............a game.

what is the BOB winners pedigree..............anyone have a link to the information....i could not find anything..............gosh darn. :)
True.. there is that.

Sire of BOB winner:

Boss

I need to ask Alison who the dam was though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
We are not allowed to double handle but we bait.. a lot.

Some are better than others, watching AKC conformation classes, breath taking! Need to learn how you guys train them like that!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Loved the BOB bitch :) Never heard of her before or seen her about.

Handling is definitely different; I don’t think the dogs are badly behaved though. I don’t like when people let the dog lick on the bait constantly while the judge is looking personally; I think it is distracting seeing the dogs head frantically going up and down. I also hate seeing people throwing balls about in the ring, which I think is a little unfair and could be distracting for other peoples dogs. I think all baiting should be as discrete as possible.

I've noticed in the USA the preferred method is throwing food out in front of the dog; I've seen this done a lot in boxers in the UK but never in dobes.

Out of all the handling methods, I think the russian/european way maks the dogs look the best. Just my opinion though and I'm new to this :D

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
i have heard quite a few judges ask the handlers to stop sticking bait in their dogs mouths when the judge was trying to see the dogs 'expression'.

I so love to see a dog shown on a loose leash and free stacked, baiting alright from a distance.

i however do not like the double handling seen in many euro shows.......so distracting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts