Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are going away for the holidays and we have to decide to bring our 8 month old Doberman with us or leave her at a boarding camp/kennel.

The total trip will take about 10 hours, two flights and layovers in the airport, with no access to our dog until we reach our destination. She has never been crated for this length of time and I can just imagine how traumatizing it would be in the baggage compartment. So we are trying to stay away from this option and are considering boarding. The problem here is that we have no idea where we should take her and we are also concerned that leaving her at a boarding kennel may backtrack with our training or cause unforeseen behavioural problems. Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to travelling by air with their dog or can recommend a good boarding (preferrably kennel free) place in the Hamilton area or any place close by.

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

I personally work at boarding kennel, when I am not in university, so I can tell you that there are some great options, and kennels that are responsible and loving to all of their furry guests. My only concern for you is that good boarding kennels tend to fill up in september for the christmas holidays.
As for behavioural issues, this only tends to be a result of extremely long stays and a very anxious temperament to begin with. I have left ****son in a kennel before and he has done just fine, I mean I would take him everywhere with me if I could or leave him with family (he is a pampered pooch) but he has no problem going to the kennel.

Hope this helps, as for taking pets on the plane, I know a lot of airlines don't do that during the winter as the baggage compartment is not always heated.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I won't fly with a dog under any circumstances anymore. But when I did fly with them, I'd only take direct, non stop flights. WAY too much room for problems with layovers, flight changes, etc.

My dogs are boarded for about 3 weeks every spring when we go on vacation. They come home happy and healthy. I've never seen training be set back or any development of behavioral problems from them being boarded.

I think you have to choose a boarding kennel carefully. I make impromptu stops to check a kennel out with no advance warning more than once before I leave a dog anywhere. It's a good idea to leave them at a kennel for a short time the first time-like an overnight visit, before you leave them for any length of time.

A lot of people use dog sitters successfully, which might be something else for you to consider. I personally get really squeamish about strangers being in my house, but that's just me.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Maybe PM feverone on here, she lives in Hamilton she might know of a few places.

Instead of boarding in a kennel there are many people that will board your dog in their home. GET REFERENCES!! Go to a few pet stores in your area and see who they are recommending. That's the route I would have taken with Jasmine when she was younger as she really stresses in a kennel. However most of these places have dogs themselves or board more than one dog, so yours cannot be dog aggressive. But it can be ideal as they live in the persons house, get regular plays outside etc.

Here are a couple of websites for options in Ontario:

Find the Best Dog Boarding Kennels in Ontario
Boarding Kennels, Daycare, Pet Sitting, Dog Walking - Canada's Guide to Dogs

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I pet sit and I would die if my friend thought I took something from her home. My parents taught us never take anything that wasn't ours......it's still in my head after all these years.......:)

I hope you find someone to watch your dobe....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts