Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if responsible, ethical and reputable breeders try to avoid producing blues and fawns? I know they are prone to skin and coat issues, but I have seen some blues and fawns that excel in conformation and are in excellent health condition. Knowing all four colors are acceptable in the conformation ring, it is rare to see a blue or fawn at a dog show at all.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Blue and Fawn are acceptable colors under the AKC standard, so you do see them in the show ring. At one time blue was allowed under the FCI standard, but fawn never was and now neither are a recognized color. In the past it was more a matter if a popular stud dog carried the gene, then you saw more dilute colored dogs being shown. Only a certain number of breedings or test breedings revealed whether the dog carried dilution or not.

Now, we have a genetic test to determine whether a dog carries dilution. It will be interesting to see if the blues and fawns now disappear or are greatly reduced because of the genetic test. I do not care for blues and fawns because of the coat issues and have tried not to produce them, but I know many reputable breeders that seem to have a soft spot for them. The problem is that there is no way to tell as a puppy which ones will keep their coat and which ones do not. There are enough challenges in breeding quality and healthy dogs without taking on the challenge of Canine Dilution Alopecia (CDA).

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love our Fawn to death, but he has coat issues, and it takes ALOT of work to keep his coat looking healthy and good. He's prone to acne, and dandruff, and no i don't bathe often and when I do I use a medicated shampoo from the vet. He has a high quality food without grains, and he recieves fish oil, and another vitamin. I rarely brush. The changing seasons seem to affect him as well, and we can't keep flowers as they seem to bother him too. Ive always wondered what reputable breeders do with their blues and fawns they recieve especially when they don't like them.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Ive always wondered what reputable breeders do with their blues and fawns they recieve especially when they don't like them.
You don't have to "do anything" with puppies you never produce! As Kansa said, there's now a dna test for dilution, making it easier than ever to just produce red and black puppies only by careful selection of the breeding pair.

Even before the days of a dna test for dilution, many (if not most) responsible breeders did their absolute best to try to not produce them. If a breeder thought there was a chance their bitch carried dilution, they'd make sure they bred to a male who didn't carry the trait, had no record of ever producing a blue or a fawn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 9 month old fawn Dobe who has thus far, had no coat issues. However, after talking with several vets, it appears that a healthy diet and/or medicated lotion will not stop nor delay the onset of hair loss. However, the vets I discussed this with noted that some fawn Dobes may have highly noticable hair loss while others may have hair loss that it barely noticable. Quite frankly, the the fawn color is unique and I've been approached by vets and photographers that wanted to snap a picture of my dog (for research purposes or for advertising/marketing). I get a lot of questions when we are out and about. But all in all, if I would've been less ignorant about the fawn coat issues, I would've went with a black and tan (hindsight is 20/20). But my wife and I love him dearly and we wound not what to do without him. Not sure if this is 100% correct, but most of the vets I talked with mentioned that most hair loss/or coat problems occur in the Boxer breed. However, I'm sure that there are quite a few more Boxers out in the world (regardless of color) compared to fawn Dobes, which could easily explain that comment.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I have a 9 month old fawn Dobe who has thus far, had no coat issues. However, after talking with several vets, it appears that a healthy diet and/or medicated lotion will not stop nor delay the onset of hair loss. However, the vets I discussed this with noted that some fawn Dobes may have highly noticable hair loss while others may have hair loss that it barely noticable. Quite frankly, the the fawn color is unique and I've been approached by vets and photographers that wanted to snap a picture of my dog (for research purposes or for advertising/marketing). I get a lot of questions when we are out and about. But all in all, if I would've been less ignorant about the fawn coat issues, I would've went with a black and tan (hindsight is 20/20). But my wife and I love him dearly and we wound not what to do without him. Not sure if this is 100% correct, but most of the vets I talked with mentioned that most hair loss/or coat problems occur in the Boxer breed. However, I'm sure that there are quite a few more Boxers out in the world (regardless of color) compared to fawn Dobes, which could easily explain that comment.
CDA usually starts to show up around 2-3 years of age so it is not unusual for your dogs coat to be good at 9 months. In my experience (limited as that is) the darker blues and fawns tend to keep their coats longer than the lighter colored dilutes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts