Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of the Bluegrass Canine Dog Training Center in Franklin, KY? (BluegrassCanineDog Training Home). Our vet recommended this place to us for Damon, but I'm really leery of dropping my dog off somewhere for that long and only seeing/working with him once per week for 3 weeks.

From their website:

"Board And Train Services: Our comprehensive program teaches and trains both dogs AND their owners! Dogs reside in our comfortable kennels for 3 weeks. During this time they are schooled 3-4 times a day, with 2 additional play sessions to relax. Dogs will learn all basic commands on leash, with an emphasis on manners. (I.E. no biting, chewing, jumping up, etc.)Covered are heel, loose lead walk, sit, sit/stay, down, down/stay, come when called and a place command. Dogs in behavioral rehabilitation will receive these commands also, in addition to problem specific training. Basic agility and beneficial games are introduced as well. Off leash control is introduced. Owners visit at the end of each week for a private lesson and a chance to interact with their dog. Owners receive basic handling skills, an overview of dog psychology and follow up information. After week three, its time to go home. Owners have another lesson when they pick up their dog. 2 additional lessons are given at 10 and 21 days after the dog goes home, for a total of 5 private lessons. This is a very comprehensive approach and allows owners to be actively involved in the process of learning with their dog. Only Bluegrass Canine offers this program, and it allows us to reach success with both dogs and owners."

I also found this place here in town and he does the one-on-one training, with the owner and dog at the same time, which makes more sense to me:

About K-9 TRAINING

I'd appreciate any feedback about either of these two places...

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
I don't have any experience with any trainer in particular but I would say follow your instincts and avoid the board & train. Training a dog is only valuable if you train the human too. :p Learning how to read your dog and also be understood by your dog is such a critical part of training. (And then too, not only do I not want to be without my dog for a couple weeks, but I'm a little paranoid about things like what happened to Nitro happening again...)

I'd see if you can sit in on one of the latter's training classes before agreeing to use him either. You want to see his methods, and make sure his approach matches what you are looking for. Are you just looking for basic manners and obedience? Group classes may be much cheaper, provide some socialization and fully meet all your needs. Is there an obedience club in your area that might host such classes?

Personally, Delta responds much better to more positive-reinforcement methods - she's terribly stoic and physical correction-based training gets largely ignored by her. (One "trainer" tried to force her to walk at a heel by yanking on her leash - Delta was so obviously thoroughly confused and a little leery, so kept trying to move to watch the lady instead... She already KNEW heel but she had no idea what leash yanks meant.)

Best of luck to you and Damon!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, I'm not really sure if I want to go with a formal class, period but it's something I'm looking into in case I feel it's needed. Damon is eager to learn/please and we've been having some good results training him ourselves; and by that I mean the very basics like come, sit, lay down, shake hands etc...however, he is a major puller when it comes to the leash...that may be normal for young pups his age and I'm going to work on that more once he completes his final set of shots and I can take him out and about more. We also have 2 Shih Tzus (both neutered) and he's quite rambunctious with them but again, that's normal puppy behavior as all he wants to do is play. His bite inhibition is good although when he gets a little worked up he will nip a bit harder than I like but I've been using the "don't bite"/giving a toy to distract with him and he's responding, although slowly. So, no major behavior problems (yet) aside from him going into hyper drive now and then :).
Yeah, I honestly don't think I could send him away for three weeks, let alone one and I want to be involved in every aspect of his training.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
You couldn't pay me to send a dog away for training. I want to be involved and I want to know how my dog is trained. For puppies, I like the socialization aspect also.

I also wanted to mention if your Shih Tzus are also male, please read up on the breeds male to male aggression.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree I could never send my dog away for training. I enjoy going to classes. They are great for socialization and you may even learn a few things. It makes my brain tick as to how can I teach that? What steps do I need to get the final behavior...and it goes on and on. I see how different people train things which some I like and some I dont. I wouldnt trade all the training time thru the good and bad that I have had with my dogs for anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts