Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. When I got my blue she was very silverish blue. No that she is older she has gotten extremly dark from her Ears back. the only way most people can tell she is blue is because she is standing next to a black/tan or if there is natural light shining off of her. Now hence the reason I got a black/tan puppy. so that people could tell the difference and well i just wanted a black and tan. Anyway. Is it normal for them to get so dark or do any of you find your Blue Dobe is the same as my girl... Her face is silverish and the rest is DARK DARK BLUE. hmm just a thought let me know please what you think or if you have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Our blue Iris, her coat was lighter when we got her last July. Now that her coat is thicker and shinier is appears darker also. you can really see she is a blue next to our blacks also and in the sun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frznbuns said:
Our blue Iris, her coat was lighter when we got her last July. Now that her coat is thicker and shinier is appears darker also. you can really see she is a blue next to our blacks also and in the sun!

are you feeding your blue something special to keep the coat thick. My girl is still young at least i consider her young. she will always be my baby girl.. but are you supplementing something or just feeding normal holistic or what??

Very interesting I am glad I am not the only one who has this problem.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have only seen a blue once but it was in person and up close. They do get dark as they mature, so there is nothing wrong with your blue baby girl.

I have a fawn baby girl and her coat is thick and shiny as well. When she was younger she was fed kibble (canidae) mixed with salmon oil, along with joint supplement. Now she gets fed raw.

Naveen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for that. I was so worried that maybe there was something going on with her hair. My last blue was silver through out her life. so this was a huge change for me. I appreciate your response MrDesi.

Thanks Again

MrDesi said:
I have only seen a blue once but it was in person and up close. They do get dark as they mature, so there is nothing wrong with your blue baby girl.

I have a fawn baby girl and her coat is thick and shiny as well. When she was younger she was fed kibble (canidae) mixed with salmon oil, along with joint supplement. Now she gets fed raw.

Naveen

·
Registered
602 Posts
vettechs said:
Thank you so much for that. I was so worried that maybe there was something going on with her hair. My last blue was silver through out her life. so this was a huge change for me. I appreciate your response MrDesi.

Thanks Again
Its no problem. If you are concerned about her coat (I think you should be, because she is a blue), you can supplement her diet with either salmon oil or cod liver oil...etc. I am sure there are others who use other products, but those have worked great for me.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MrDesi said:
Its no problem. If you are concerned about her coat (I think you should be, because she is a blue), you can supplement her diet with either salmon oil or cod liver oil...etc. I am sure there are others who use other products, but those have worked great for me.

Good Luck
Naveen
thanks Naveen I really appreciate it. I have always supplemented my dogs diet but they normally eat fish in their diet but i have never actually used cod liver oil or salmon oil in their diets. I have heard of it... just well never used it. Thanks for the info. I have had dobermans for years just never any quite as strange as her :D so thanks Ill check it out and thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
vettechs said:
are you feeding your blue something special to keep the coat thick. My girl is still young at least i consider her young. she will always be my baby girl.. but are you supplementing something or just feeding normal holistic or what??

Very interesting I am glad I am not the only one who has this problem.
I am feeding Chicken Soup dog food also the dogs get a can of Vegetables each meal. Some raw feed in the evenings plus a full line of Vitamins..

Fish Oil—1500mg per day
Borage Oil—500 to 1000mg per day
Vitamin E – 400mg per day
Vitamin B 50—2 per day
Lecithen- 1200mg per day
Zinc—25mg per day
Brewers Yeast and Garlic—1 tablespoon per day
Vitamin C – 1 per day
Flax seed oil—1 per day
Silica--1/2 to 3/4 the human dosage
All my dogs have a beautiful coat now I am very happy to say..

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My blue was a lighter color when he was a pup. Now that he is older, he is much darker. Very much darker. I think Mr. Desi is right that you should be looking at the future of the coat. I ran into a sluggish spurt with my blues coat and switched their food to Canidae. It was a good step up. It helped his coat fill back in. My issue resolved for now. Hopefully for a long time. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
DreamDoby said:
My blue was a lighter color when he was a pup. Now that he is older, he is much darker. Very much darker. I think Mr. Desi is right that you should be looking at the future of the coat. I ran into a sluggish spurt with my blues coat and switched their food to Canidae. It was a good step up. It helped his coat fill back in. My issue resolved for now. Hopefully for a long time. :)
Canidae is great premium dog food. I would have been happy keeping her on that, but little Ms. Princess didn't seem to take it too well so I HAD to change. At the end of the day, whatever works best for you and your dogs is what counts.

Naveen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am currently feeding my dobes venison and potato. and I duck and potato soft food for treats. I will start with salmon oil or cod liver oil and see if i can switch over. thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts