Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my blue dobe has CDA as well as a thyroid complaint so has very bad skin/hair. I have read that it is wise to only bathe her twice a year max, but her skin is so dry that after a couple of weeks she tends to smell. She recieves an essential fatty acid suppliment to help the condition from the inside and I apply Vit E oil and Tea tree to spots that get particularly bad. I brush her coat occasionally with a soft bristle brush. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. xAspen and her mumx

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Hi, my blue dobe has CDA as well as a thyroid complaint so has very bad skin/hair. I have read that it is wise to only bathe her twice a year max, but her skin is so dry that after a couple of weeks she tends to smell. She recieves an essential fatty acid suppliment to help the condition from the inside and I apply Vit E oil and Tea tree to spots that get particularly bad. I brush her coat occasionally with a soft bristle brush. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. xAspen and her mumx
Purchase baby wipes with aloe and rather than bathe her, wipe her down with them. I also used a spray mist of brown Listerine [1 cap to 11 caps water] when my blue needed a little touch up rather than a bath. My vet also had me use 'Humalc' which is a dry skin spray and rinse.

Is your girl on thyroid meds? Mine was on Soloxine and Melatonin every day. Hope this gives you some ideas of things you can do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i will give that a try-she hates a bath anyway so a spray would be easier.She is on soloxine for her thyroid and it seems to have made an improvement to her energy levels but not her coat. I also have to watch her weight very carefully x

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try this recipe for blues as well as any color!

1. Spray with water (filtered) (I just use tap water)
2. Wipe with microfiber cloths ( I just use a regular wash cloth)
3. Brush with Chris Christenson's Ionic Brush (if coat is flaky - use jute-bristle scrub brush) ( I use a soft pet brush)
4. Spray with coat spray* adjust proportions as neeed
in a spray bottle put : 1" of listerine
.5" of alpha keri bath oil, or avon skin so soft
1" of infusiun leave in hair conditioner
add water
Shake well before using
5. work into coat
6. brush with soft brush - kiwi shoe brush.

This was given by Dr Merry Fitzgerald,DVM, who owns "smurf" (A BLUE), our first triple champion, and it works well.
she also advises to not bathe your dog, just wipe with damp cloth and to follow this regime.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
When Louie, also a blue with severe skin problems, was younger I'd wash him once a week, now that he starting to get better I wash him once every 2-3 weeks. I use Isle of Dogs, it doesn't dry him out, they also have a spray that helps not get so dried out.

I use 12,51 and the spray.

Isle of Dogs

Also, you mentioned you put vit E on her, but you can also give Vit E orally along with Fish Oil.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I'd try the listerine and SSS mixture on one spot first. I put all over Louie and huge, gross postules popped up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im from the u.k so some of the products mentioned may be difficult to source. There seems to be little available info on the subject available over here so its great that forums like this exist

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Storm's Regimen there is everything you need to know, about taking care of blues and fawn, great side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts