Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zeus (18 months) and Nova (6 months) are both currently on Authority Large Breed Puppy (Petsmart's brand-large breed puppy states for dogs up to 24 months). Nova is on the Authority kibble and Wellness canned puppy food (trying to get her to gain weight still). They are doing well on it (Zeus had awful gas on Canidae and Blue Life Protection), but it is not the best quality and I am looking into switching. I cannot afford to go completely raw, but want to do a partial raw/kibble diet. Anyway, I spoke with our Blue rep at work and he recommended the Blue Basics Large Breed formula. It is lower protein than the Wilderness and contains no dairy, corn, wheat, chicken, etc which should all help with the gas.

I also know Wellness is a really good food. I used it to fatten Zeus up when I got him back from my ex and it did wonders for him in a short time. He doesn't need fattening any more. He is 80 pounds and a perfect shape right now. His coat is shiny, but we have occasional issues with flaky skin. Nova, however is still underweight. She is six months and 30 pounds. She eats well and is doing better, but not quite where I want her. Zeus is neutered, Nova is not spayed yet (waiting till grown). They both have TONS of dobie energy.

I hesitate to change their food simply because of Zeus' gas issue. We have literally NO gas on Authority. Before he would literally gas everyone out of the house. I just know it isn't the best food and corn is pretty high on the ingredient list. Any opinions on Blue Basics vs. Wellness?

Also, I am curious about rotation feeding with the kibble. I understand the thinking behind rotating meat sources, but is it also true that it promotes a less sensitive digestive system? Do you recommend rotation feeding? If so, how would one go about doing it? Zeus seems more sensitive to dietary changes than Nova.

:thanx:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
For the last couple of years that I fed kibble (before I switched to raw many years ago), I fed the best six or eight foods I could find in rapid rotation with no transition. Different proteins and different manufacturers, as well. I think it does promote a less sensitive digestive system... I think dietary inflexibility is created and don't really believe "sensitive" digestive systems naturally exist except in very rare cases... I think we do this to dogs by feeding them the same thing for extended periods of time... not really a normal or natural way to eat, when you think about it.

You're at Petsmart? Right now, my favorite food in the store is Innova Prime... if someone held a gun to my head and made me feed kibble from Petsmart, that is what I would choose. Wellness and Blue are both decent companies, but both have cheapened their products by reducing protein... this is not, in my view, a good thing. The Blue Basics you are looking at is 22% protein, which is pretty sad for carnivore food.

Instead of looking for the magic food which results in no gas, I might be looking at something like Beano or a digestive enzyme product like NOW Foods Super Enzymes to try to minimize the issue. Or, maybe a clothes pin for your nose LOL!

Do NOT assume that product reps have any clue at all about food! Seriously! You might have the exception in your store, but of all of the Blue reps we have had, only one has even had any interest in learning about nutrition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts