Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hope everyone had a safe and happy holidays!

Quick update for those who helped me on the diarrhea issue...it has since cleared up! I stopped feeding her the treats that I got for her and it was almost the next day that she seemed better! :)

But, now I have a new poop issue...my puppy has started getting blood in her stools?

This first happened a few days ago, she had gone out to poop and her stool wasn't diarrhea but it wasn't hard either. This stool was normal looking, colour wise. However, she took a few steps and started trying to poop again, she was squatting for a few seconds before a couple drips came out which included bright red blood. There wasn't a significant amount of it, in fact, it was very little of it.

I kept my eyes on her, watching for anything unusual, everything seemed fine and her next few poops were normal (aside from not being completely hard)

Now that I'm back at work my girlfriend advised me that she had a bit of blood in her poop again.

I've had her stools checked a couple times and it's come back negative.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

She is acting normally around the house, I haven't seen her eat anything unusual. The only change she's had is, for a couple weeks now I have given her more food as I felt she was slightly skinny (not unhealthy skinny though)

Thanks for any advise. She will be seeing the vet this Friday for her rabies shot etc, but if this is a serious issue I want to phone them to get her in earlier.

PS. See attached photo, I took this over the holidays while she was playing with my girlfriends parents dogs. I almost want it framed!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would take her to the vet. Any time there's blood in the stool is cause for concern, IMO. It may not be something serious, but better safe than sorry. Cute pic by the way.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Not saying she shouldnt see the vet b/c I am not sure what your dobe is doing. I have discussed with my vet about blood in the stool. I do know that occasionally my dogs have blood in their stool. It is a very small amount and is a brighter red. Meaning that something has irritated their bowels.
Since I raw feed I can normally tell by what I have fed if there may be some in their stools or not. My DH sometimes feeds somethings that may be a bit too spicy, even tho I fuss at him all the time not to, it still happens occasionally. So sometimes that may irritate their bowels. If the blood is dark then it is old blood and there may be something more internal going on.

So glad you are going to the vet Fri. Be sure not to forget to ask about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my boy has had this issue too, and I was pretty upset and worried. There was a possibility of worms (negative) and his diet (doesn't tolerate chicken products) and finally the amount of wood and other naughty things he eats. We had him checked out, and the vet decided he was just suffering from irritation because of the wood and other undesirables he was eating...good luck! I hope its nothing serious

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's had her deworming done and stool samples tested. Everything came back fine.
She has an appointment with the vet tomorrow so we'll see I guess.

My girlfriend has been telling me that she's rubbing her bum on things for a couple of days now, however, when I return from home this isn't happening for me to see. She also mentioned today that Lexi's been acting lethargic so I'm not sure what's going on. (she could be blowing it out of proportion) Last night I was goofing around with Lexi just fine aside from when I caught her peeing on my couch...and then caught her chewing on a different couch....ugh...
Other than that, her poops are nice and hard again and haven't saw any blood in it.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the vet wasn't overly concerned about the blood in her poop after I described the amount, inconsistancy and colour. Although she did say that if it happens again to bring her back and they will run tests. But I haven't seen any blood ever since, so that's good!

Regarding the itchy bum...her anal glands just needed to be discharged....which was nearly the nastiest smell I've had blasted up my nose since she had diarrhea. :roflmao:

overall she's healthy and well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts