Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for a new dog feeder I noticed a few website had disclaimers on the products * Not recommended for large breed dogs * Not recommended for deep chested breeds

I was puzzled. I had always been told that Large breed dogs should be fed with an elevated dog feeder. However after doing some recent research that debate is as cloudy as 2 Crop or Not 2 Crop.

Did a break through come out in the last few years & I'm just out of touch?

How do you feed your Dobermans. Elevated or Lowered Dog Feeders?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
There have been a few discussions on the forum about this topic, check out this topic from the educational archive (the raised bowl threads are at the bottom).

My family has always fed dogs from the ground, we have fed kibble, and mixes of raw and kibble... never had a dog bloat... we have had 4 Dobermans, 1 German Shepherd, a largeish mix breed (30kg) and my grandparents who live with us had a Curly Coat Retriever x Rottie and a GSD mix... never had a problem :)

·
The BOberman
582 Posts
I have always heard that elevated bowls increase the risk of bloat.

Reactions: annolyn

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would use an elevated feeder/waterer only for a dog with an orthopedic issue which made bending down painful... arthritis, injury, whatever... ouchy dogs get whatever they need to be comfy. Normal, healthy dogs get bowls on the floor, or raw food handed to them.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I feed both mine with elevated feeders, they are 10" of the ground.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Six of one, and a half dozen of the other....elevated of not elevated. I feed off the ground....never had a case of bloat, either.

p

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
I feed raw. I have had bloat start with the frothy stuff when I used kibble but Gas-X helped stop that. Never had torsion. Knock on wood... (btw, I actually knocked on the desk when I typed that - sheesh)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
wow i feed elevated from a break fast bowl - guess ill feed em on the floor now

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
can you give a dog bean-o ?

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Studies indicate that raised feeding increases the risk of bloat.

Please do a search, or look at the link discowhore provided, since this topic has been discussed at length numerous times ;)

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have fed all of the Dobermans [4] from elevated bowls [20 years] without any problem to date. I believe that how you handle the dog is more important than whether you feed in an elevated feeder or not. My dogs are not allowed to eat until 1 hour has lapsed after play/exercise and they are not allowed to play or exercise until 1 hour after they have eaten.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts