Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I am new to owning a doberman, and have had Krieg now for exactly a month today! He's just now four months old. I have a question about his ears. I've been posting with tampons and Jonas tape, just as his breeder did. I am careful not to wrap the tape too tightly. He hasn't had any problems until now. When I took his ears down last night, I saw that he's developing blisters on the outsides of both his ears. They haven't opened, which is good, but they look so sore. He's also lost so much of his hair there - the tape just pulls it right off. I was planning on reposting last night, but just couldn't bring myself to do it with those blisters there.

Does anyone have any suggestions? His ears stand well when they're free, but he's just started teething, so I know he needs to be posted. But what do I do about these blisters?

Any help would be great and very much appreciated!

(I'm at work, so I can't post any pictures.)

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
I have heard that blisters can be an indication that the tape shrunk and impaired circulation. Is there any chance the tape might have gotten a little wet? It would only take a mist from a sprinkler, or a run through long damp grass to cause the tape to shrink a little. I don't want to freak you out but that is what comes to mind first without pictures.

I used ostomy glue to secure the posts in my last puppy's ears and left the tape loose, and didn't use a strip of tape at the tip of her ears. I was super worried that the tape would shrink if my other dog's got their slobber all over her ears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! I don't think he got wet, but there's always the possibility that he rolled in the grass when it was dewy. But the tape was still really loose when I removed it. It almost seems like a contact allergy. Or maybe irritation from not enough exposure to the air.

I'm wondering if I should use some medicated powder or something when I repost his ears...

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Yes to medicated powder. I use BFI powder in the ears every time they are posted.

He might be reacting to the tape. (It is Zonas tape, not Jonas like the brothers) Call the breeder to see if any other puppies have had a reaction. You might need to switch to elastikon bandaging material, which sticks really well but you have to be very careful not to get it too tight.

In the short term get some gauze and put that with powder over the sores, and then try to avoid having any tape going over that spot. How often are you retaping?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Zonas tape; brain fart there...

The only powder I could find was Gold Bond Medicated. Will this do? Or should I order something else online?

I usually redo his ears every four days or so, leaving them free anywhere from a couple hours to half the day, depending.

This time, I've left his ears free since last evening, and the blisters are smaller, less puffy. But they need to be posted soon because they're getting weak.

Years ago, when I had cancer, I had a PICC line, and I had to have that thing taped to my arm for months. They had to use paper tape or I broke out horribly. This looks similar. Would paper tape work for ears or is it not porous or strong enough?

I'm in McKinney, if that's any help.

I really appreciate your help with this! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you can't get to an experience breeder locally that will help you, take the puppy to Debbie Shaefer in Forney. Google and you'll find the clinic. She is the best on ears and can show you a better way to post and advise you on what to do.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I had to leave Whiskey's ears down for almost 8 days at 3.5 months old to clear up an infection and some sores he had from posting. I know you really want to post again but I'm not sure you should until those sores are healed. I did have to post until he was almost 7.5 months old and some of that might have been because he had them down for so long. Don't panic yet :)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Dr. Schaffer is actually located in Frisco of of Preston Road near Lebanon. She's a few miles north of 121 and Stonebriar, so she should be pretty close to you depending on your location in McKinney. Her staff is great, and they'll pull out a little stuffed dog and demonstrate how to post the ears if needed.

If you want to give them a call or ask for some tips for your situation, their number is 972-335-1234. Dr. Schaffer is only in on Mondays and Wednesdays, but they get TONS of Dobes, Danes, Boxers, and other cropped breeds through their clinic. Someone should be able to help you or possibly suggest some alternatives. They have staff there until 8:00PM if you want to call tonight. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
This may be an obvious question, but how exactly are you posting? Are you using the sticky one on the puppy section? Sounds like the tape is wet and rubbing (which is why so much hair is falling out). Gauze the ears for now and then with zonas tape around posts so the ears stick to the post from the inside. Try changing the posts more often as well. We change Murphy's almost once a day.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Changing it daily isn't necessary at all and could likely cause even more irritation. It sounds like your pup is reacting badly to the tape. Where on the ears are the sores developing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your replies! Krieg is actually doing much better. I left his ears unposted for three days, and his blisters went away. They never broke open, thankfully. I reposted on Sunday using some medicated powder and gauze over where the blisters had been. I unposted on Monday, just to check and make sure he wasn’t having any adverse reaction to the powder, and his ears looked great. No blisters, redness, or irritation.

He’s not had I’m wondering if he had rubbed his head in the dewy grass or something and gotten them damp. I need to watch him more carefully when I let him out on the days we have dew.

Thanks for the vet reference as well! Always appreciated.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Dr. Schaffer is actually located in Frisco of of Preston Road near Lebanon. She's a few miles north of 121 and Stonebriar, so she should be pretty close to you depending on your location in McKinney. Her staff is great, and they'll pull out a little stuffed dog and demonstrate how to post the ears if needed.

If you want to give them a call or ask for some tips for your situation, their number is 972-335-1234. Dr. Schaffer is only in on Mondays and Wednesdays, but they get TONS of Dobes, Danes, Boxers, and other cropped breeds through their clinic. Someone should be able to help you or possibly suggest some alternatives. They have staff there until 8:00PM if you want to call tonight. I hope this helps!
Dr. Schaffer is a great vet for a resource. Sorry about my misquote on the city, brain skip I guess. LOL

Normally, they will shake their ears or scratch them if there is a problem. You might try leaving them up 3 days...and if ok, then 5 days. Take them down in the AM, encourage the puppy to use the ears and then, put them back up. Something was loose or wrong if the pup was getting blisters. Glad the pup is improving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts