Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled from another thread about the same issue with another member.

We just found a pool of blood on our pillow. Upon inspection we saw that the left side of his mouth in the back is bleeding. The blood is pooling in his jaw, making it looks like its swollen. His breath stinks too. I noticed earlier but didnt think anything of it.

He is eating ok, not great but ok.

When I had his mouth open looking around he didn't seem to be in pain.
We do not know his status on vWD.

Anyone want to reassure us that this is normal for a teething pup?

Here are pics as good as I can get them.
You can see here the teeth on top digging into his bottom gums.

Here you can see the damage.

And here the "swelling" I was talking about.

There's not a lot of blood, I took a few cotton balls and tried to soak it up. I got one with a good amount of blood the rest was mucous/drool.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I would have him checked by a vet when my pups teethed little bit of blood on toys and thats about it no pool no swelling like in the picture. I would be worried about his vWD status. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I would also get him to the vet asap. Does he have any signs of red spidery looking veins on his tummy?

If you can't get him to the vet this morning, I would ask the vet if it's ok to give him soft food like rice and chicken or maybe soaked kibble.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Also agree with seeing the vet.

My male is vwd affected, but clots so I've never experienced anything quite like this.

I have been told that those with vwd may experience quite a bit of swelling in areas where there has been trauma/surgery, etc. Perhaps that's what the swelling is.

I'd be concerned that there was some kind of infection to see such significant swelling from what appears to be regular teething.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Also, you can order a swab test for vwd through Vetgen or Vetnostics. I've used vetgen for all of my Dobes.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Any news on this pup?

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
Einstein has no more blood or redness on those two teeth. The lump that I thought was swelling is gone as well. Breath is back to normal as well.
We looked at some pics from earlier in the day when we went to the dog park and couldn't notice anything unusual. I am guessing he got a pretty good scrape on his gums from chewing something he wasn't supposed to chew sometime in the 2nd half of the day.
I will post follow up pictures when my wife gets home.

We didn't go to the vet, but he has a visit scheduled soon for a followup from a previous visit. I will ask about it then.

As for vWD testing...other than knowing you may be a carrier what benefits does it provide? Personally I am against genetic testing, and do not see how knowing if he has vWD would change how he is handled. I am not trying to be smug just wondering if there are any benefits to knowing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would also get him to the vet asap. Does he have any signs of red spidery looking veins on his tummy?

If you can't get him to the vet this morning, I would ask the vet if it's ok to give him soft food like rice and chicken or maybe soaked kibble.
No red spidery veins on his tummy.
We skipped breakfast and had soft canned food mixed with normal watered down kibble. He ate it as he normally would.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Update:
As for vWD testing...other than knowing you may be a carrier what benefits does it provide? Personally I am against genetic testing, and do not see how knowing if he has vWD would change how he is handled. I am not trying to be smug just wondering if there are any benefits to knowing.
vWD testing tells you whether you are:

1-clear
2-carrier
3-affected

Knowing your status helps determine how surgery is done, etc.. The last thing you want is to have a minor injury turn into a life threatening event. Even if you are "affected" there is some play in that. Some affected dogs don't have bleeding problems that are major others do. Your vet should ask you about his status prior to his neuter so that proper precautions can be taken.

Bottom line, knowing his status does change how he is handled.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Forgot to add, if you know the vwd status of his sire and dam that would certainly help. If you don't know you could try Dobequest for that info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
vWD testing tells you whether you are:

1-clear
2-carrier
3-affected

Knowing your status helps determine how surgery is done, etc.. The last thing you want is to have a minor injury turn into a life threatening event. Even if you are "affected" there is some play in that. Some affected dogs don't have bleeding problems that are major others do. Your vet should ask you about his status prior to his neuter so that proper precautions can be taken.

Bottom line, knowing his status does change how he is handled.
Thank you for the clear answer. We will look into getting him identified.

His Sire and Dam are not listed on DobeQuest. I am looking to get registered in DPCA so that I can create and profile for Einstein.

Side topic...I was searching Vetgen and saw that there is a combined test for vWD and DCM that also identifies color gene and something else. It looks to be at a discounted price and I am wondering if I should just get all the testing done together?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts