Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while playing, Lucan managed to whack his snout on the wooden arm of the chair. No blood right away, then he started sneezing and soon the room looked like a crime scene - I'm sure the CSI folks could have done a good blood spatter analysis. It slowed down and had stopped when I put him in his crate for the night a couple of hours later. No blood in the crate this morning but all it took was a few shakes of his stuffie toy and it started bleeding again.
I'm worried about VWD but the father was clear and the mother a carrier. That should not produce any affected offspring, correct?
I'm taking him to the vet today just to be safe although I'm not sure what they will do. These doberkids!!:help_up_2

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
You are doing just what i would advise you to do go to the vet,if you are not sure what the problem is then get the vet to check it out,Just in case.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hope all is well. I think sometimes blood is like baby spit-up - it's only a very small amount that looks like more once it spreads. The way our Dobes put all of their muscle into stuffie shakes, it's probably enough to loosen a scab off a small wound.

That being said, I'd be at the vet the next morning as well....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the bleeding has stopped and Lucan is fine. He did not appreciate the scope up his nose though! Of course by the time he got to the vet the bleeding had stopped and there wasn't much to see. They checked his gums and his color was fine. They said just to keep an eye on him and to bring him back if it starts again. I'm sure they think I'm over protective, oh well.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Better overprotective than to overlook a potentially serious problem. I am glad to hear that Lucan is okay though! Now........let the stuffie killing commence!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hey, we have a right to be over-protective of our furry and non-furry children. Better safe than sorry, esp since our Dobes can't tell us what is wrong or where it hurts...Glad to hear things seem to be back on track!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Better to be safe than sorry Hubby had a nose bleed off and on for 3 weeks It gushed most of the time as a Nurses aide was use to seeing blood but I never saw that much blood before. Had to have surgery to get it stopped.Human or Fur Kid better to get it checked out than have a problem later.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think you did the right thing. If bleeding doesn't stop or starts after a couple hours I would be taking him to the vet for sure. You did exactly what everyone else would have done

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You did the right thing. Heidi a dobe we had quite a few years ago started bleeding from her nose. Not to scare you, but I feel like I can tell you as you have already been checked out at the vet. Anyway her blood platlets were very low and she could not clot.
To make a long story short she had an autoimmune disease (thrombocytopenia) that ended up taking her life after 5 months of all kinds of meds etc. I believe thaey can do more for this today. She was diagnosed at 4 and had to be put down at 5. So to me any bleeding means a visit to the vet. Glad you went and everything checked out.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts