Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
joie de vivre
11,398 Posts
Proin has worked well for Tali and I've not noticed any side-effects from it.

·
joie de vivre
11,398 Posts
I personally would not supplement Vitamin C unless you have some reason to suspect your dog is deficient.

Having said that, if you're going to give your dog Vitamin C supplements it should be in the form of Calcium Ascorbate and NOT Absorbic Acid (what humans take).

Dogs have far more Hydrochloric Acid in their stomach, so if you supplement Vitamin C in the form of Absorbic Acid the dog's body then has a hard time figuring out what to do with the excess acid and it can cause digestion problems.

Unlike humans, dog's bodies produce Vitamin C naturally. The only reason a dog wouldn't be producing enough Vitamin C would be due to illness, stress, over-vaccination, or sometimes hereditary problems. So I would be very cautious about supplementing your dog with Vitamin C without any concrete medical reason to.

Also, repeated urinary tract infections damage the kidneys over time. If your dog has repeated urinary tract infections, personally, I'd just bite the bullet and get some antibiotics to ensure the infection doesn't linger. Bacteria in the kidneys is not flushed out by cranberry supplements. Cranberry supplements actually prevent the bacteria from sticking to the sides of the urinary tract, but deeper infections in the kidneys are not treated by cranberry supplement.

One last aside, just for reference, if you do get a UTI or kidney infection and decide to supplement treatment with cranberry, it should be in the form of a pill not juice. Juice is LOADED with sugar which actually feeds the bacteria and over-rides any beneficial side-effects of the active ingredients of cranberry.

·
joie de vivre
11,398 Posts
I think i will just keep my mouth shut for now on about things i use for my own dogs.

Ziva's Mommy, a Vet appointment and consultation would be a good idea.
Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be snarky. :)

I am all for natural remedies and treatments and I prefer them, but my biology degree has instilled the need to research, research, research any thing you decide to supplement or medicate yourself (or others) with. It's just kinda 'safety first', I think.

Knowledge never hurt anyone. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.