Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor Ziva. How we love her so much! She's 2 now. Her bladder has been leaking so badly! It used to be faint where we couldn't figure out for sure which dog was having an issue. Now she's ruining all the dog beds & more! We're constantly carpet cleaning! She leaks so badly that she leaves puddles while she sleeps! Puddles wider than the width of a basketball. She also leaks (drips) while she walks. Leaves a trail where ever she goes! It's so sad. I know it has to be driving her crazy to. It's definitely driving us crazy. Especially the hubby!
The vet couldn't get a urine sample from her. She just wouldn't go potty! She's put her the antibiotic Clavamox for 2 weeks. We're hoping that it's an infection causing it, but we are doubtful. The vet is doubtful. Haha, but said she's allowing me to be hopeful! If the antibiotic doesn't clear up the leakage, then Ziva starts Diethl/Stilbesterol (DES) treatment.
I'm praying it does go away with the treatment of the antibiotic and doesn't require continued meds or surgery. What a stinky mess! But boy do we love her!

Reactions: Sherryh and Darkevs

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
There are a couple of good meds for incontinence--I'd much rather deal with them than the bother of cleaning up pee puddles constantly. And my last girl always seemed so embarrassed when she woke up from a nap all wet; I'm sure the med was better for her peace of mind too.

Good luck that you find the easiest most effective treatment for whatever is going on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She totally is embarrassed! She looks up at me with "I'm so sorry mommy" eyes.
We may have 2 more dreadful weeks of this while we are trying a 2 week course of antibiotics. (If we give her both meds, then we may have her on the long term treatment when she doesn't actually need it.)
I love her, but hate the smell! I've been wiping her down alot with baby wipes. I don't want to give her too many baths, but the urine has to be aggravating the skin! So looks like I'll be buying some more baby wipes.

Reactions: Sherryh and melbrod

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
My parent's 12 y/o GSD-Chow Chow is incontinent now due to old age. These have been a life saver. They put them out in her favorite spots, and its no biggy now when she leaks. Also really nice to have, spray wash to get the urine out of her fur so she doesn't get a rash. Hugs to your girl! I hope you find a resolution soon.

Amazon.com: Champion Blue Disposable Underpads (Chux), 17 x 24, Case/100 (4/25s): Health & Personal Care
Interesting! Looks like there are different sizes and even some reusable ones? I've seen them in hospitals but never would have thought of using them for this purpose.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, she'd just tear those up. Thanks for the recommendation though. I've been using those white flat crib mattress protectors. (Not the fitted kind). They are thicker, more absorbing, & a big perk; machine washable! I also use them under both the large dog crates just in case anyone has an accident or vomits. They are the perfect width, and the length I just fold them near the end to fit. They can't even be seen under the crate. I just need more of them!

Reactions: Sherryh and melbrod

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
My poor Ziva. How we love her so much! She's 2 now. Her bladder has been leaking so badly! It used to be faint where we couldn't figure out for sure which dog was having an issue. Now she's ruining all the dog beds & more! We're constantly carpet cleaning! She leaks so badly that she leaves puddles while she sleeps! Puddles wider than the width of a basketball. She also leaks (drips) while she walks. Leaves a trail where ever she goes! It's so sad. I know it has to be driving her crazy to. It's definitely driving us crazy. Especially the hubby!
The vet couldn't get a urine sample from her. She just wouldn't go potty! She's put her the antibiotic Clavamox for 2 weeks. We're hoping that it's an infection causing it, but we are doubtful. The vet is doubtful. Haha, but said she's allowing me to be hopeful! If the antibiotic doesn't clear up the leakage, then Ziva starts Diethl/Stilbesterol (DES) treatment.
I'm praying it does go away with the treatment of the antibiotic and doesn't require continued meds or surgery. What a stinky mess! But boy do we love her!
I put my leaky Portuguese Podengo Medio on Estriol capsules made by Wedgewood pharmacies.

They work great and she's like a young puppy again.

Estriol Capsule | Wedgewood Pet Rx

·
Premium Member
8,441 Posts
Poor baby girl, every one of my girls leaked. My latest has been on Proin for years. Roxy is 6 years old. I believe they do get embarassed, they look up with these sad eyes as if they disappointed you. I always reassure her and tell it's OK, The Proin has been helped so much.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Why on earth didn't your vet take a urine sample by cysto? They are more accurate anyway since they should be sterile unless she has a kidney or bladder infection.

Also baby wipes don't usually remove enough urine to keep the skin which gets soaked with urine clean enough to avoid urine scald. You don't need to give her a bath with shampoo--you can clean fresh urine off with just water spray.

Good luck with this--Proin and DES both work well for incontinent bitches--for really intractable cases sometimes it takes both but it beat having a dog leaking everywhere.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Proin has worked well for Tali and I've not noticed any side-effects from it.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
years ago..............one of my older, spayed dobie girls used to leak......lakes.

I put her on cranbery juice pills and Vitamin C twice daily, I also treated her with grapefruit seed extract every 3 months or so for repeated urinary tract infections.

It really helped for a few years, then i had to put her on a hormone replacement therapy when she was about 11 years old.

so many of our dobergirls seem to suffer from incontinence......i am still not sure why.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I personally would not supplement Vitamin C unless you have some reason to suspect your dog is deficient.

Having said that, if you're going to give your dog Vitamin C supplements it should be in the form of Calcium Ascorbate and NOT Absorbic Acid (what humans take).

Dogs have far more Hydrochloric Acid in their stomach, so if you supplement Vitamin C in the form of Absorbic Acid the dog's body then has a hard time figuring out what to do with the excess acid and it can cause digestion problems.

Unlike humans, dog's bodies produce Vitamin C naturally. The only reason a dog wouldn't be producing enough Vitamin C would be due to illness, stress, over-vaccination, or sometimes hereditary problems. So I would be very cautious about supplementing your dog with Vitamin C without any concrete medical reason to.

Also, repeated urinary tract infections damage the kidneys over time. If your dog has repeated urinary tract infections, personally, I'd just bite the bullet and get some antibiotics to ensure the infection doesn't linger. Bacteria in the kidneys is not flushed out by cranberry supplements. Cranberry supplements actually prevent the bacteria from sticking to the sides of the urinary tract, but deeper infections in the kidneys are not treated by cranberry supplement.

One last aside, just for reference, if you do get a UTI or kidney infection and decide to supplement treatment with cranberry, it should be in the form of a pill not juice. Juice is LOADED with sugar which actually feeds the bacteria and over-rides any beneficial side-effects of the active ingredients of cranberry.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
I think i will just keep my mouth shut for now on about things i use for my own dogs.

Ziva's Mommy, a Vet appointment and consultation would be a good idea.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I think i will just keep my mouth shut for now on about things i use for my own dogs.

Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be snarky. :)

I am all for natural remedies and treatments and I prefer them, but my biology degree has instilled the need to research, research, research any thing you decide to supplement or medicate yourself (or others) with. It's just kinda 'safety first', I think.

Knowledge never hurt anyone. :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
UTI's can be persistant. It may take longer than a 2 week course of abx to clear one up. Since you're saying this bitch is leaking even while walking, it sounds like something more than the usual spayed bitch incontinence. I might try collecting a urine sample at home and taking it in to them for analysis before I started treating symptoms only by giving DES.

DES works well on *some*dogs, but it doesn't work on all dogs. Proin works on a wider number of dogs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dobebug~My vet didn't want to cause any set backs with her. That's why she didn't do anymore to collect a urine sample. For those that are unfamiliar with my Ziva & my previous posts. She was 6 months old when I got her. We were her 4th home in 6 months. I'm unsure of what she went through prior to us, but whatever it was, she was fearful of everyone that she met. She is excellent with the children! We've been socializing her like crazy. Showing her that we love her and we will protect her. She has come a very long way. In protecting her, in regards to the vet, I had a decision to make. There are 2 vets at the office. One breeds dobes, dislikes dilutes, and has a strong dominant personality. Ziva was not responding to her very well, so about a year ago, I started her with the other vet. Haha, i really think she could pick up on the vets dislike for dilutes! Wow, what a difference at the vet. The other vet is more soft spoken, really takes the time to allow her to warm up, and Ziva did so much better. Well, with this issue, I thought it would be best for her to see the vet with the dobe experience. If she requires surgery, I'm much rather prefer the dobe experienced vet do her surgery. Ziva did so much better with her compared to a year ago. It was awesome to see the work pay off. We still have work to do though.

She is spayed. But, th. e leaking started before her spay. That was the point when it was so lite that we couldn't really tell which dog is was coming from. And then when I mentioned it to the vet before her spay, by then I had noticed slight dripping from Ziva, but the vet thought it may be whe drippings of a sexually mature female. (In other words not urine.)

The vet did mention that sometimes the position of the bladder is the culprit. So we are starting with the antibiotics. (Can't give a urine sample now, as we've already begun antibiotics yesterday). If this doesn't work, then I'll probably collect a urine sample before starting the other treatment. I need to ask my vet about that, as i'm not sure if she did still indeed have a bladder infection, then would it still show after immediately collecting the urine after ending the 2 weeks on antibiotics.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

No, do not keep your mouth shut. I like to hear what has worked for you. I like to hear both sides of the fence. I usually get a lot of suggestions, research, than go ahead with whatever.

I have been finding out that things of the past that have been pooh poohed are now the thing to do. Happens a lot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts