Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please read this, even if you are not looking for a dog. This boy needs help!

My breeder called me today to see if I knew of anyone that would be interested in a black/rust, male neutered, 4 year old Doberman. He is free to a good home who has experience with dogs.

The family that bought him from a breeder had 2 young kids since they adopted him, and since they've had the kids, they haven't paid much attention to the poor dog. He was never taught how to behave around children since his owners didn't work with him. He is a very good, happy-go-lucky dog, but is uncomfortable around small kids because of the owner's neglect.

The owners had a birthday party for the kids and for some reason, didn't bother to put the dog away. So of course there are lots of young kids running around and screaming. Even the guests at the party could tell the dog looked uncomfortable. A kid came running up to the dog, and he bit him.

The mrs owner wouldn't allow the dog back into their home and wanted him euthanized straight away. The mr owner called the breeder to see if she could find him another home instead of having him euthanized.

This dog needs an owner who understands dog behavior, and knows that the fault is not his, but his previous owners'.

If you know anyone that may be interested in him, please PM me or reply to this thread. I told the breeder that I was a member of this forum where most of the people here are Dobe lovers and this may be a good place to find someone who understands.

Thank you so much for reading!

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. He's here in Michigan currently.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is very sad. Is he from your breeder, or just someone they know? I also hope he finds a wonderful home, and soon.......
Thanks, BIB. Yes, he is from my breeder. She is very upset about this whole thing. :(

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I can only imagine. I dont know THAT many doberman people, but I will sure keep my eyes and ears open for a good home for him. Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know THAT many doberman people, but I will sure keep my eyes and ears open for a good home for him.
That would be great. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
So sorry to hear about his poor boy's plight. Have you contacted a DPCA rescue for advice or possible fostering or placement?

Reminds me of an incident when my son was small. A classmate's mother and I took my son and her two boys out for ice cream after school. We had just left the ic shop when we came upon a Seeing Eye dog (German Shepherd) walking towards us with his new owner and the instructor. The younger boy (first grade and old enough to know better) suddenly (like a flash) put his face in the GS's and screamed at him. Would have served this child right if the GS had bitten him on the cheek and speaks to the dog's training for not doing so.

Shame on the owners for putting their dog in this position...

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that's lucky the dog didn't react! I can't believe the way some parents create these situations that something really horrible could happen...

Have you contacted a DPCA rescue for advice or possible fostering or placement?
I'm not sure if the breeder has done that yet or not. I think she was hoping to find someone via word of mouth from friends first. But that may be the next step if she is unsuccessful.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The poor boy. Sounds like he would make someone a real nice dog. Hopefully someone here will have an idea. People can be sooo stupid.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If he gets into a rescue group of some kind, maybe I can let Il dobe rescue know and they can put him on their page under the refferals.
That would be great! If it comes to his going to a rescue, I'll definitely let you know so they can help out if they want. Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I don't mean this to come out the wrong way, and I don't think this is coming from the breeder either, so correct me if I am wrong -

but if the breeder is responsible (and I have been given that impression from many people that they are) - why does this dog need RESCUE?

This dog has a breeder that can take responsibility for it. If it cannot be found a home immediately, the breeder should take the dog back or find a place for it temporarily (kennel, friend, etc). This is not a stray dog, a dog without an owner - yes it needs a home, but it is not the same as a rescue. This dog will only take up spaces that dobes in shelters and abandoned need in foster care. This is the time when responsible breeders step up and take responsibility - and I am not saying that this one is NOT, because I Think the rescue discussion is occurring WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE - but just a heads up - this dog does NOT belong in rescue unless the breeder denies it help.

Reactions: Riagogogo

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the breeder has found him a temporary placement while she seeks something permanent. I believe he is staying with the owner of my Shelby's sister. At least, that was the plan last I heard.

The dog doesn't need *rescue* in the literal sense, although I know the breeder appreciates any referrals that rescue might be able to provide. As someone myself who is active in rescue, if a breeder steps up I'll be glad to provide them with referrals because heaven knows the dogs we may have in rescue at any given time are not appropriate for every home while a dog from a breeder *may* be more appropriate. I'm not saying this is the case in this situation, nor am I saying it isn't. Since the dog has bitten, he definitely needs to be evaluated.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yes, the breeder definitely should be in on this whole situation.

But for future FYI......for those who are in or close to Michigan, there is a dobe rescue there...
http://www.dobermanrescueofmi.org/

Reactions: Burns

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the breeder has found him a temporary placement while she seeks something permanent. I believe he is staying with the owner of my Shelby's sister. At least, that was the plan last I heard.

The dog doesn't need *rescue* in the literal sense, although I know the breeder appreciates any referrals that rescue might be able to provide. As someone myself who is active in rescue, if a breeder steps up I'll be glad to provide them with referrals because heaven knows the dogs we may have in rescue at any given time are not appropriate for every home while a dog from a breeder *may* be more appropriate. I'm not saying this is the case in this situation, nor am I saying it isn't. Since the dog has bitten, he definitely needs to be evaluated.
No doubt - I know a few placements that have happened when a breeder had a dog to place and rescue knew of a good home for it and none of their dogs fit (one person on this board was in that very situation) - however, that is much different than rescue taking in the dog when the breeder is known and willing and able to help. I don't know the breeder personally, but what I have known about her through other people, and quite honestly simply by the fact that you, Mary, chose to get a dog from her :) , made me assume that she was in fact responsible and would do this the right way. Just wanted to point out for others that the dog most likely doesn't need RESCUE in the traditional sense.

Reactions: Burns

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lori just emailed me to let me know that she has found him a home with experienced Dobe owners - they have 3 other Dobes. From her description of the situation, it sounds like he will have a good home as long as he gets along with the other dogs. She was very excited to make this placement so hopefully it will be a permanent home for him. Keep our fingers crossed!

Jen, thanks so much for the PM, and I'll keep you updated if anything changes. :)

Thank you to everyone who wish this boy well!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts