Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and I have two Dobermans.

Alexander 4 years old black male, neutered.

Ember 3 years old red female, spayed.

They are both eating whole earth farms dog food.

Ember has been having skin issues for the past 6 months give or take. I first noticed it when they were pus filled liaisons on her back. They had patches of fur in them as if the fur didn't come up out of the skin at all. Went to the vet they proscribed antibiotics. It seemed to go away but after a few weeks off antibiotics she had another flare up.

When I look at her fur it is like the hair isn't coming out of her pores right and when they get stuck they become pustules. They are like raised lines where the hair didn't make it out of the dermis and just continued growing right under the skin. Recently I have found black head like things here and there and when squeezed black gunk and hair come out.

This only happens along her back and the upper parts of her back legs. Never anywhere else.

The vet (only one in town) just proscribes more antibiotics and doesn't seem to be overly concerned with finding what is causing this.

Any idea what is causing these issues? Other then this she is healthy and active, no changes in behavior.

Thanks for any help.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
If its something that keeps comimg back I would try to get to a dermatologist. Skin issues are so annoying, good luck!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Do a full blood panel and T4 to check the thyroid. Chase broke out in a staph infection all along his back, he also had countless ingrown hairs. His thyroid was only .5 below the normal range, the vet said to not medicate him, I said YES. Six months later his staph cleared up :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The vet didn't test it at all just kept looking and pushing antibiotics. I wish I lived in a bigger city with more then one vet! I am going back in but wanted some ideas before going in so I can insist something else be done! I will have them do a full blood panel and check for thyroid issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts