Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the family and I were at the NTDR (North Texas Doberman Rescue) most of the day interacting with all the Dobes and like minded people who love them. We brought an approximately 1 year old girl home today so we can foster her and see how she behaves in a family setting (Me, Wife, and two sons ages 5 and 2) and shower her with love and attention.

But, I'm a bit stumped and not sure I have seen this so prominant in my years of being involved with Dobes.

Is she Black, Blue, or both? LOL. Her head is Blue all the way, but her body is black. Weird...but so far she is a sweety. Stubborn with no training and gonna take work, but a sweet girl.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Look blue to me. Definitely a beautiful girl! Good for you and your family for fostering her. Enjoy your holidays!

Shaun

·
Registered
716 Posts
She looks like the darkest blue I ever saw... Super rich blue color! She looks really, really pretty and nicely built!!!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I agree, super dark blue girl. Don't know much about blues, but in my experience with fawns... The darker the color the better the coat. So if that were my blue baby, I'd be STOKED!!

Thanks for rescuing! What's her name? Fingers crossed for a foster failure!:D

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree, super dark blue girl. Don't know much about blues, but in my experience with fawns... The darker the color the better the coat. So if that were my blue baby, I'd be STOKED!!

Thanks for rescuing! What's her name? Fingers crossed for a foster failure!:D
He He He:roflmao:
I was thinking the same thing about her coat and color!

And "fingers crossed for a foster failure" is classic :idea:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
She looks like a blue to me. Someone on this forum has a blue dobe, cant remember the name, but at first glance you would think he/she was black/rust :) I guess the fawns and blues come in different shades :) She is adorable!

·
Extraordimary
4,943 Posts
She looks like the darkest blue I ever saw... Super rich blue color! She looks really, really pretty and nicely built!!!
Ok, now I know she's a rescue and she deserves a loving home, but she is NOT nicely built by any Doberman standard and saying so does nothing to remove the fact that she deserves to be loved for who and what she is.

I probably wouldn't have said anything except for the fact that hermewmew talked about breeding her girl, and if this is what you think is nicely built, more's the reason to stop thinking about breeding! I mean that in the nicest way possible. You've got a lot to learn about conformation.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
She looks like a blue to me. Someone on this forum has a blue dobe, cant remember the name, but at first glance you would think he/she was black/rust :) I guess the fawns and blues come in different shades :) She is adorable!

Are you thinking of my (dark!) blue girl, Whisper? :)

Here she is, next to my (also very dark) late fawn girl, Kylie. You can see they both are very "dark" for their dilute color, but both have lighter heads/ears.

IME, the dark coats are zero protection against the lovely baldness of CDA--it's genetic, period.

Congrats on your new foster, hope you enjoy the experience and all works out for the best.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
What color is her nose? That is where the answer lies.:):):)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I to hope she is a foster failure. :D Congrats and have fun training her!

Reactions: HerMewMew

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
RFR- I've run across probably a dozen fawns (home to 2) and maybe 5 or 6 blues. Gotta say the anecdotal evidence presents as "darker" being better. Also, with the melanocite discrepancy being the prominent "supposed" factor in CDA, there is some sense to coat color being indicative of severity. Something being a genetic predisposition (or even a genetically carried disease) does not make it symptomatically the same in all dogs. Many genetic diseases manifest to varying degrees. All I was saying was that from what I have seen, darker coat = better coat. All anecdotal, certainly, but it has been my experience.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
RFR- I've run across probably a dozen fawns (home to 2) and maybe 5 or 6 blues. Gotta say the anecdotal evidence presents as "darker" being better. Also, with the melanocite discrepancy being the prominent "supposed" factor in CDA, there is some sense to coat color being indicative of severity. Something being a genetic predisposition (or even a genetically carried disease) does not make it symptomatically the same in all dogs. Many genetic diseases manifest to varying degrees. All I was saying was that from what I have seen, darker coat = better coat. All anecdotal, certainly, but it has been my experience.
Well, not arguing with ya, but if you'll note, I said "IME"=In My Experience and IME it means zilch to have a darker dilute coat--it's still subject to the symptoms of CDA.

I lost track a decade or two ago, of how many dilutes I've fostered/transported/handled, etc and I've never seen one with what I'd consider a healthy, decent coat, no matter what shade of blue or fawn it is, light, medium or dark.

As long as we're reporting anecdotal experiences :1newwink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts