Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is standard procedure if your dog bites another dog?

I am watching my MIL's German Shepard this week, and I decided to take the girls to the dog park today. Ari's been there before and has done pretty well, but I didn't expect there to be so many other dogs there at this time of day--in the middle of the week!

When I walked them in, both were on leash, and I let them sniff the other dogs while on lead before I let them off, so I could get a feel for how they'd behave. Anna, the GS, is almost 3 years old, and more mellow, so I wasn't as worried about her--especially since she has been to boarding kennels that specialize in getting dogs used to being around each other, and done really well with that. Ari, I was slightly worried about. She can be annoyingly playful and not all dogs have her energy, so I was worried make one angry enough to hurt her.

However, both were good, so I let them off after talking to the other owners and they all felt the dogs would be ok.

Big mistake! About five minutes into the play, a little chocolate Lab came over to Anna and sniffed her. There was nothing about the little dog to set Anna off that I could see (not displaying signs of weakness or aggression), but Anna turned around and started chasing the little dog, growling. I didn't see any connection between the two dogs, but the way Anna took off after the dog was definitely that of a big dog wanting to rip another dog's throat out, so I snapped the leashes on both of them and took them out.

The little dog's owner followed me out to let me know that Anna had, in fact, bitten the little dog on the leg. The cut wasn't serious, but it did need stitches.

I took her information and gave her mine, along with my MIL's phone number. The little dog was headed to the vet the last I saw her. My girls are home. I don't know what I should do in this case. More? Less? Did I do exactly right? Did I err in my judgment?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea how much this will cost me? Her dog technically did start the fight, but Anna sure did END it! I do plan to give her dog treats--she happens to visit my gym with a group of kids several times a month, so I will have a gift for the little dog handy...but I'd like to cover her bill if I can.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I don't see how the other dog started the fight - you wrote she just sniffed Anna?

Either way, I would definitely offer to cover her bill. It doesn't mean you are guilty, but it is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't see how the other dog started the fight - you wrote she just sniffed Anna?

Either way, I would definitely offer to cover her bill. It doesn't mean you are guilty, but it is the right thing to do.

I agree 100%. King bit Pyper once and i offered to pay the vet bill. Also, King broke a table while visiting Pyper, i also offered to pay for a new table.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What a gracious owner she is.

I think something to think about in the future when trying to decide what is right for the other party.....if it was your dog that had been bit would you want the other owner to pay for the vet bill. I think that most people would say yes. I would not want to have to pay vet bills for another person's dog but if either of my dogs bit another dog (and I hope that I am never in that situation) I would offer to pay the bill.

I think that a whopper of a basket is in order. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me too! All I could think of was what I would do if it were my dog bitten. I'm amazed she handled it as well as she did AND was so gracious.

I agree about the whopper basket...and thank you everyone...this was a stressful day and you've been very helpful.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Oh so sorry about the bad day :( Glad it turned out well though, that owner was something special to take it as well as she did. She's got a good heart.
I'm glad you offered to pay, it really was the right thing to do, especially since it was a dog park and her dog was just being social and all... but accidents happen, so we live and learn! Good luck with the basket!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh man, PetCo has never been my favorite, but they had what I wanted to put together a treat basket. Just found a pretty paisley dog dish and loaded it with bags of treats (good-for-dogs and one that was just dog candy), as well as a Kong with the can of peanut butter stuff. And they had get-well cards!

Don't I know the owner was awesome! She really should have let me pay for it, but I'm grateful just to be able to give the little dog a nice get-well basket and to get updates on her healing process.

It's just a shame that Anna can't go to dog parks anymore. She's not my dog, or I'd be getting her into some sort of schooling that involves lots of time around dogs, all of which are on leashes and under control by their owners so that she can gradually get used to them. I'd thought she was ok with other dogs, but as this has shown me, she most certainly is not.

Again, thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.