Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 1st post. My Vet appointment is Monday....need advice till then.

My dobie is 6.5 years old; i've had him for 2 years and for the 1st time ever he is biting and scratching his skin.

I feed him Orijen and give him qty (4) 1 gram fish oil capsules per day. About twice a week I give him 400IU's of vitamin E

This problem just started about 3 or 4 maybe 5 days ago. He is getting raw in some areas.

He hikes with me 4 to 5 days per week. Is on Sentinal for heart worm, worms and fleas.

Nothing has really changed in his routine or diet.

April 20th I had to apply Frontline Plus to him after discovering a deer tick on me during a hike. I also applied it on May 24th, but i did not apply it June 24th. Therefore he hasn't had it on him in about 3 weeks. This is because I am staying away from the tick infested areas.

I just gave him a quick oatmeal shampoo bath. Making sure not to rub hard.

I probably have more to add but he is bugging me to go outside right now so I have to wrap this up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Maybe Benadryl would help ease the itching, but I'd want to check with the vet before giving him that. And it needs to be pure Benadryl, nothing else combined with it. Can you call your vet and talk to him on the phone since you can't get in there until Monday?

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Try a 50/50 solution of Listerine and Water, spray the dog thoroughly. If pup is still itchy use a stronger solution. (more Listerine and less water).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting a vet O.K. to give Benadryl... I would just do it. He can have 1 mg./lb. and you can safely double that if you don't get results.

Has anything changed in the house? New cleaning or laundry products? New treats? Garbage raid? Lawn treatment?

Do you know what flea dirt looks like? Teeny tiny dark speck on the skin... put it on a piece of white paper and put a single drop of water on it... if it turns anything in the red family (red, pink, orange, brownish), that is flea poop and there are fleas even if you haven't seen them.

One of the best oatmeal shampoos is Epi-Soothe. Probably, you'll have to get it on line somewhere. I highly recommend it for itchy dogs.

Both the mite that causes scabies and the mite that causes walking dandruff will make for itchy dogs. If the vet wants to do a scraping, have him also pat the hair in an itchy area with tape and examine that... the walking dandruff mite lives in the hair and won't be found with a skin scraping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't worry about getting a vet O.K. to give Benadryl... I would just do it. He can have 1 mg./lb. and you can safely double that if you don't get results.

Has anything changed in the house? New cleaning or laundry products? New treats? Garbage raid? Lawn treatment?

Do you know what flea dirt looks like? Teeny tiny dark speck on the skin... put it on a piece of white paper and put a single drop of water on it... if it turns anything in the red family (red, pink, orange, brownish), that is flea poop and there are fleas even if you haven't seen them.

One of the best oatmeal shampoos is Epi-Soothe. Probably, you'll have to get it on line somewhere. I highly recommend it for itchy dogs.

Both the mite that causes scabies and the mite that causes walking dandruff will make for itchy dogs. If the vet wants to do a scraping, have him also pat the hair in an itchy area with tape and examine that... the walking dandruff mite lives in the hair and won't be found with a skin scraping.
1st, thanks to all who responded. I gave him the Benadryl (on an egg) and 45 minutes later he settled down. He's resting now.

The only thing that changed was that I didn't re-apply the Frontline Plus 3 weeks ago.

However, I did indeed spray a small amount of Raid on the area where his dog poop is stored and it did a nice job keeping the flies away. I think I did this about 7 or 8 days ago.

He hangs out in the garage for 2 to 3 hours per day. he likes to lay in the back of my hatchback and watch the front yard.

Are dobies or dogs extremely sensitive to Raid? It was only a 3 or 4 second spray that I did and it was only once but it was right before the problem started.

But his hair has been coming out for a good month. I can grab it off his back and it pulls right out, but he has no bald spots. I assumed that this was just normal seasonal shedding.

But i've also noticed more than usual amount of skin cells along with hair on my floor. I'm sweeping every other day or 3rd day. I used to sweep once per week.

=================

He's on flea medicine plus I had him on Frontline for 2 months in a row. --And I am very sensitive to flea bites but have nothing going on on my legs or elsewhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
LOL! I meant a raid on the garbage which could have resulted in his getting a bunch of something made with wheat or corn or another allergin.

I have no clue whether Raid exposure could cause something like this. Since it coincided with the onset of what you're seeing, I might be tempted to call the manufacturer and ask.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, I feel better knowing you weren't referring to the chemical insecticide known as "Raid"

I'm going to have to trust and hope that the Veterinarian is able to make an accurate diagnosis.

I had a woman tell me she thinks it may be hypo-thyroidism due to the hair coming out. But again, this may be normal shedding. I do not know. I am a rookie at dog ownership.

That is why i am here looking for answers before seeing the vet.

I fail to see how low thyroid hormone would cause dramatic itching...or am I missing something?

Should i insist that the Vet check his thyroid?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, low throid can cause the skin issues your boy is dealing with. Have a full panel thryroid test done. The vet must send this test out to be done. Dont let him do an inhouse thyroid test as that is not thorough enough for a doberman.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, low throid can cause the skin issues your boy is dealing with. Have a full panel thryroid test done. The vet must send this test out to be done. Dont let him do an inhouse thyroid test as that is not thorough enough for a doberman.
Thank you, very helpful.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow, sounds like you got alot of chemicals floating around there... maybe he is getting overloaded ? I dunno

Benedryl is a must, my girl is 90 lbs and when having a reaction to something 25 mg does pretty good or 50 if its bad. I always keep some in my doggy emergency medical pack.

Hopefully it will all pass soon...best of luck !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts