Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was letting loki play with a puppy pitbull,

(dumb in my part because at the time I was not pitbull experianced enough to recognize that they innately have a high desire to be "mouthy")

since then Loki has become quite mouthy and is now going to other dogs ears with no remorse.

any ideas on toning this down?

The best I have come up with is backyarding and then keeping him on the gentle leader, If he bites the ear I call no, If he repeats I lift up with the gentle leader towards the sky which highly discomforts him. he has been relaxing a bit but I was curious if anyone had any other ideas.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Mmmm, tough one. Your plan of action sounds good already, and if it is working, all the better. I would have to say it is only something that will be solved with time and training. When Lexy gets to play with her mom, her mom is VERY mouthy about the ears, which drove me insane when she was in process of getting her ears trained. We just didn't let them play out of our sights, and stopped the horseplay if it went to the ears.

Is Loki responsive enough to stop rough playing with just a verbal warning? If so as time goes on he will learn that "funtime" comes to an end when he gets too rough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts