Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The biting issue has gotten ridiculous. I get that Diesel is only 11 weeks and he's teething but the biting me has to stop. I've tried everything from yelping, saying "no bite", giving him something he can chew on, stopping play everything and he just turns right back around and bites me. Not like a mean bite like a Playful bite and yes sometimes he gets me by accident but when he's full on running towards me and then biting is not cool. Any advice? I wouldn't mind so much if his teeth werent so sharp! The last puppy I had was a lab which was 9 years ago so Im having a hard time remembering if he was this bad or not.

Now the barking... This is new like within the past couple days he's started to bark at things like the doorstops (he likes to paw at them then bark) he barks at other dogs, at the rug we have in our bathroom, pretty much anything. He never barks at us and has yet to bark at people. It doesnt seem like a mean bark I almost feel like he's discovering he can make more noises besides just whining (which he is very good at :roflmao:) anyway I just want to make sure this is normal. It's not all the time but it's definitely a few times a day that he does it and I want to stop it if it's a bad habit. If its just something he's discovering then I'm fine with it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Well, as far as the nipping, it's going to take some time, it's not typically something that will stop overnight. It's just the repitition of replacing with something acceptable. In the beginning, I like to praise every time a dog picks up a toy as well. Dog gets his toy, marked and praised. This will reinforce the chewing of toys and things that are allowed.

For the barking, does he get enough exercise and mental stimulation? Do you do daily training, and try to teach jobs etc?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, as far as the nipping, it's going to take some time, it's not typically something that will stop overnight. It's just the repitition of replacing with something acceptable. In the beginning, I like to praise every time a dog picks up a toy as well. Dog gets his toy, marked and praised. This will reinforce the chewing of toys and things that are allowed.

For the barking, does he get enough exercise and mental stimulation? Do you do daily training, and try to teach jobs etc?
As long as it will stop eventually that's fine. I'll try praising him when he's playing with toys he's suppose to be.

Yes he gets lots of excersise and training. He loves all the interaction so we're constantly doing things with him. The only times we're not is when we're making food and eating then he's in his crate. My boyfriend is with him all day so and we both have him all night but I do want to increase his walking he's just so stubborn on walks but I learned that bringing treats with me makes him realize walks are fun!

·
Registered
82 Posts
It will end I promise lol! I went through the same thing, dickson was a little piranha, he had a hundred toys but he still rather bite me. Honestly I thought I might go insane the first month of having him. The only time dickson didn't bite was when he was sleeping. Yelping, or trying to replace my feet or arms with chew toys didn't work either. The only thing that worked for me was a squirt bottle with water.

It will change before you know it though with lots of exercise, training, and socialization. Dickson was by far the hardest puppy I have ever experienced but I can say 100% now at four years old he is the best dog I have ever had. Its hard to believe he was such a little devil once. Best of Luck:)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will end I promise lol! I went through the same thing, dickson was a little piranha, he had a hundred toys but he still rather bite me. Honestly I thought I might go insane the first month of having him. The only time dickson didn't bite was when he was sleeping. Yelping, or trying to replace my feet or arms with chew toys didn't work either. The only thing that worked for me was a squirt bottle with water.

It will change before you know it though with lots of exercise, training, and socialization. Dickson was by far the hardest puppy I have ever experienced but I can say 100% now at four years old he is the best dog I have ever had. Its hard to believe he was such a little devil once. Best of Luck:)
A piranha is the best way to describe it! It sounds like the exact same thing! He has all these great toys but my hands and feet and hair seems to be his favorite. I actually thought last night about using a squirt bottle but then I thought that was only for cats haha I'll give it a try. I'm glad it ends at some point haha

Thank you! Diesel is definitely a little monster haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of walks, lots of training. The biting will die down. :)

Try somewhere safe to have off-leash fetch.
I think I'm going to take him to a tennis court so I don't have to worry about other dogs and throw a ball with him cause he loves to run!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think I'm going to take him to a tennis court so I don't have to worry about other dogs and throw a ball with him cause he loves to run!
If it's not grass, you want to be careful about alot of hard running on hard surfaces, this is tough on their joints and whatnot. I would try to avoid running on hard surfaces as much as possible with him this young.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's not grass, you want to be careful about alot of hard running on hard surfaces, this is tough on their joints and whatnot. I would try to avoid running on hard surfaces as much as possible with him this young.
I didn't even think of that! Bad idea on my part :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sonya makes it so hard to just per her. Anytime my hands are anywhere near her, she's attacking them. The first few days we had her she was sleeping in our bed. I would be woken up by her chewing on me! Needless to say she had to go to her crate. I think she's part billy-goat, she chews on everything!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
When Sam was a youngster, I prescribed to the "a tired puppy is a good puppy" regimen. He was exercised several times per day. I would find an open field, put him on a long leash line, and let him blow some steam off. Take a stuffy toy with you and let him chase it. You don't want forced exercise just let him run around, on a long lead.

Puppy kindergarten is a wonderful place to take puppies, provided all vax and vet clearance are given.

A list of clubs in your state: Training Resources

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Now is the perfect to teach him the "quiet" command. It will be something you will appreciate down the road, as THEIR BARK gets louder. Hehehe
Get high value treats and start rewarding quiet times, when you set him up to bark. He has to learn to be quiet, or your migraine will get bigger. Dogs will bark, but it is best if you direct him to be vocal for you, when you want.
I briefly met a lady other day, with her psycho uncontrollable "bedango-that's what she called his breed), while Nubis stood and then sat quiet. She actually, asked me, if his "throatbox" was cut out
I said, no. She goes, he is so quiet, im like, he has no reason to bark.
Now had he barked, I would have told him "quiet" because I won't tolerate it.
As for your pup, he basically not even teething yet, once his adults come in, then he will be worse if not corrected now,.
So again, VOCAL, treats, redirection and/or timeout.
Again the message is, in a calm way,,it will not be tolerated.
Reacting excessively or harsh, gives the dog a reaction which they perceive as play and bcuz dobes like to match wills, getting too physical will make them more physical and eventually aggressive if not curbed.
Silence is often your best tool along with patience.
Once you loose it, they no longer see a fearless leader.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How I miss those days! My Gia was the same way untill I learned she required at least two 30 to 45 min hard excercise sessions a day followeD by a 10 to 15 min training session. I would get up one hour early every morning to throw balls and let the zoomies out. I can not tell you how many nites we played ball by the moon light. Now she is 1 year old and she is a couch potato wanting room service ;). A tired Dobe is a good Dobe!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I handled the bite training, so my wife could avoid it...her voice was not stern enough (the pitch) to get the soft bite initially.
I could see that working, LOL.
When Nubis'sMom gets pissed at him, he listens pretty quick whereas im the bad dad barking all the time, hehehe.
I spend alot of time/activity with him and I think he values the time with mom so he doesn't want to blow it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When Sam was a youngster, I prescribed to the "a tired puppy is a good puppy" regimen. He was exercised several times per day. I would find an open field, put him on a long leash line, and let him blow some steam off. Take a stuffy toy with you and let him chase it. You don't want forced exercise just let him run around, on a long lead.

Puppy kindergarten is a wonderful place to take puppies, provided all vax and vet clearance are given.

A list of clubs in your state: Training Resources
I agree! A tired pup is a good pup! Thank you for the link. I'll definitely be checking out some places.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sonya makes it so hard to just per her. Anytime my hands are anywhere near her, she's attacking them. The first few days we had her she was sleeping in our bed. I would be woken up by her chewing on me! Needless to say she had to go to her crate. I think she's part billy-goat, she chews on everything!
Hahaha Diesel almost got put in his crate last night cause he was trying to eat my arm but finally settled down. Diesel is probably right there with the part billy-goat thing haha

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now is the perfect to teach him the "quiet" command. It will be something you will appreciate down the road, as THEIR BARK gets louder. Hehehe
Get high value treats and start rewarding quiet times, when you set him up to bark. He has to learn to be quiet, or your migraine will get bigger. Dogs will bark, but it is best if you direct him to be vocal for you, when you want.
I briefly met a lady other day, with her psycho uncontrollable "bedango-that's what she called his breed), while Nubis stood and then sat quiet. She actually, asked me, if his "throatbox" was cut out
I said, no. She goes, he is so quiet, im like, he has no reason to bark.
Now had he barked, I would have told him "quiet" because I won't tolerate it.
As for your pup, he basically not even teething yet, once his adults come in, then he will be worse if not corrected now,.
So again, VOCAL, treats, redirection and/or timeout.
Again the message is, in a calm way,,it will not be tolerated.
Reacting excessively or harsh, gives the dog a reaction which they perceive as play and bcuz dobes like to match wills, getting too physical will make them more physical and eventually aggressive if not curbed.
Silence is often your best tool along with patience.
Once you loose it, they no longer see a fearless leader.
I say enough now when I want him to settle down. I'll start usually quiet for his barking.
How exactly do you teach him that's what that means though? I know you said reward quiet time but do I do that right when he stops barking or what? My lab wasn't much of a barker except if someone was at the door so we never really had a problem.

I have noticed that if you close his mouth when he goes to bite he thinks your playing so I guess I need to change that haha thank you for all the advice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts