Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting this to the correct forum - I'm new here! If not please redirect me.

Tia is 6 months old and full of wonderful character. I've just started one to one training with the clicker which is fine and shes completed her puppy classes, however she has started biting hard to get attention. So hard she has today left a nasty bruise on my thigh. My trainer has said to ignore and distract - not chastise - but this doesn't seem to be working. Please help!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Wow....I am having the same issue with Petey! He is almost 5 months old! When he is bored or hasn't had enough exersize....he is doing the same thing! Is this a Dobie thing???

Carol

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
At six months Java started using those sharp little front puppy teeth to pinch skin - generally on the inside of my arm - and boy did it hurt. When she would do it to get attention, I would grab her muzzle with my hand, look her in the eye and tell her 'No biting'. I didn't yell the command, even though she nearly always left a purple bruise. Once when she surprised me and got me good, I let out a yelp and she ran into her crate and just looked at me - I think I unintentionally scared her. I guess something registered, because after that she never tried biting me like that again.

Puppies don't realize that the bite they give littermates during play is much harder on human skin. They need to learn that biting is unacceptable, and it will take a while to break them of this behavior.

A friend of mine would keep a small plant spritzer in her belt loop. When her puppy would try and bite, she would give him a surprise squirt/mist in the muzzle and tell him 'No biting'. It got to the point where all she had to do is bring out the spritzer and he would behave.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
a great big yelp by you will work wonders - a spray bottle will also work miracles when used properly - we have them strategically placed around the house, for when our two get out of control

cc

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I don't remember if Isabelle was biting or scratching us but I do remember being told by a trainer to let out a loud yelp like she really hurt you.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
We did the loud yelp thing with Orson too, it did work!

Let me tell you how funny it is to see a full grown man (my husband) let out a girly high pitched yelp! It made Orson stop, back up a step, tilt his head, and stare with a surprised look on his face :D It made me have to leave the room to giggle at both of them!

We have used the spray bottle for other issues....ie, stealing from the tables, excessive whining (when ignoring failed miserably)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your advice. It also helps just to know that you have all gone through the same (and come out the other side!) Yelping here I come!!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I went through the same thing with Jasmine from about 4 to almost 7 months old. The yelping or crying out never worked for us. I used a water spray bottle, divertered her attention with toys, and sometimes would just get up and go for a short little walk. Sometimes when Jasmine was tiried she became very nippy, I would put her in her crate and she would be asleep in a minute!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Acooper said:
We did the loud yelp thing with Orson too, it did work!

Let me tell you how funny it is to see a full grown man (my husband) let out a girly high pitched yelp! It made Orson stop, back up a step, tilt his head, and stare with a surprised look on his face :D It made me have to leave the room to giggle at both of them!

We have used the spray bottle for other issues....ie, stealing from the tables, excessive whining (when ignoring failed miserably)

I bet ORson was laughing on the inside too!!!!

c

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went through the same thing with Jasmine from about 4 to almost 7 months old. The yelping or crying out never worked for us. I used a water spray bottle, divertered her attention with toys, and sometimes would just get up and go for a short little walk. Sometimes when Jasmine was tiried she became very nippy, I would put her in her crate and she would be asleep in a minute!
Yes, it does seem to be when Tia is tired or over excited about something. At 6 months how much sleep is recommended for them?

·
Registered
986 Posts
adajane, that's not a question that really has a formulaic answer, saying for instance that a 6-month-old dobie should sleep "x" hours. I'd say anywhere between 10-15 hours would be average (*note I didn't say "normal"). That would differ dog-to-dog based on (among other things) their personal activity level during the day. Some 6-months old dobies lay around in a house/crate all day, while others are outside working/training at every physical and mental levels in between so there is no fixed number. Personally, I believe in the old adage to just "never wake a sleeping puppy". If they're healthy, let them sleep as much as they want. We never want a grouchy puppy, right?:)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I don't remember how much Jasmine slept at that age...not enough haha! I once read somewhere, that puppies typically nip/chew because they are either hungry, tired, teething, or bored. Remember it does get better, although it can seem like a lifetime and that you have a little monster on your hands at times!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
adajane, that's not a question that really has a formulaic answer, saying for instance that a 6-month-old dobie should sleep "x" hours. I'd say anywhere between 10-15 hours would be average (*note I didn't say "normal"). That would differ dog-to-dog based on (among other things) their personal activity level during the day. Some 6-months old dobies lay around in a house/crate all day, while others are outside working/training at every physical and mental levels in between so there is no fixed number. Personally, I believe in the old adage to just "never wake a sleeping puppy". If they're healthy, let them sleep as much as they want. We never want a grouchy puppy, right?:)
Oh, and they do grouchy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. She is usually active apart from the days I'm at work (3) when she spends much more time in her crate (which I feel very guilty about!) but I have to say the nipping is worse on the 'active' days!

I know it won't last forever and it does add to her character in a funny sort of way! Like a naughty teenager! I just didn't want to be making it worse by treating it in the wrong way - I can cope with it but don't know what my mum in law would do if she did it to her!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts