Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copper went in to heat on Wednesday! Aside from the mess and being overly cuddly we are fairing well. I bought a cloth diaper type thing that you put liners in, but did not think to buy a second one for when the first one gets dirty....I took a pair of my 4 year olds pink panties and stuck them on the dog. I will have to get a picture and try to get it up here...she looks soo cute.
Now to my question...has anyone heard of giving a dog birth control pills to stop the bleeding? Someone said that they read it on the internet, but it has to be started by the third day?!?! I personally have never heard of anything like it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Never heard of it either, and since it does not stop bleeding in humans, why on earth would it in dogs??

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Wegs813 said:
Now to my question...has anyone heard of giving a dog birth control pills to stop the bleeding? Someone said that they read it on the internet, but it has to be started by the third day?!?! I personally have never heard of anything like it.
You can give a bitch Cheque drops, which is an androgenic steroid, and that will prevent them from going into heat as long as they're on the drug.
I think you need to start giving it to the bitch about a month before she's due to go into heat, tho.

There are some cautions involved in using this drug, the most serious being it can cause liver disease. Bitches can get overly muscle bound and "doggy" looking. Frequently they get an awful odor. Cheque drops can also cause aggressive behavior.

So while this product has it's uses, I think it's not anything to mess around with..in most cases, it's far better (and safer) to just go ahead and spay.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Murreydobe said:
So while this product has it's uses, I think it's not anything to mess around with..in most cases, it's far better (and safer) to just go ahead and spay.
Not sure if this was directed at me or not, but should someone be wondering we do plan on spaying. We had an appointment once, but did not go through with it due to clot time that day. We are taking all precautions as far as blood products and DDAVP (think thats what its called). Hopefully within the next couple of months it will be done.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Wegs813 said:
Not sure if this was directed at me or not, but should someone be wondering we do plan on spaying.
Oh no, I wasn't really directing that at you, I was just speaking in generalities.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
That stuff just sounds like it could cause more trouble than it stops.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
brumwolf said:
That stuff just sounds like it could cause more trouble than it stops.
Well, in most cases that's probably the truth. The more serious side effects are the most uncommon, from what I've been told, tho. Most common is the dogginess and the awful smell.

But it can be useful for bitches who go into season really frequently (like every 3-4 months), since that can produce it's own set of health risks. Having them on Cheque for awhile seems to put them on a more normal cycle after they go off of it.

In any situation, it's recommended that bitches only be on Cheque Drops for a maximum of two years. Like any other kind of steroid, I think they need to be used cautiously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts