Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second day in a row, my four month old little killer has brought me a dead bird.

Yesterday she was just proud, and I got it away from her.

Today, I couldn't catch up with her, she was determined to eat it. Feather, feet, beat and all. It was same kind as yesterday, not a baby out of it's nest either. Little nuthatches.

A little worried what it might do to her digestive system. Not sure if I can do anything about this. I saw her dad kill a squirrel in front of me while visiting the breeder.

I'm a Higgins bird feeder, so this is hard on me!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Our mixed breed dog plays havoc on the bird population on our property. I couldn't even begin to count how many birds she's eaten. Also mice, lizards and all sorts of vermin. I'm content if she just keeps them outside to eat them, rather than bringing them (or piece of them) into the house!

IOW-it's not something I worry about too much.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Our mixed breed dog plays havoc on the bird population on our property. I couldn't even begin to count how many birds she's eaten. Also mice, lizards and all sorts of vermin. I'm content if she just keeps them outside to eat them, rather than bringing them (or piece of them) into the house!

IOW-it's not something I worry about too much.

I agree.

Lottie catches, kills and eat birds, mice and rats... Poppy was a rabbit and rat/mouse eater, and Cricket was an infamous disemboweler of hedgehogs.

Reactions: Jhagman

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think that is par for the course for many of these Dobes. I thought my female was not going to have a huge prey drive and then she came in with cute little fuzzy rabbits in her mouth; Joe takes on the copperheads and even a raccoon; waiting to see what Taylor attacks other than my feet.

KC/Linda

Reactions: Jhagman

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That look on Mensa's face is hilarious!

Proud little dobe! Big game rabbit hunter!

I love the action shot too, with the tail of the rat! I can understand rats, squirrels, but how is a pup catching a bird? Two days of the same type of bird, I'm confused how she pulled this off, unless she climbs trees.

I just re read my original thread. Love how spell check takes over when you aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I feel your pain. I'd just keep working on the drop it, leave it command just in case there comes a day you really need it.

My dogs caught a mouse outside last night. First Flirt, and I screamed DROP IT. Which she does, but before I can get leave it out, then Havoc grabs it, DROP IT...repeat and the next Vizsla gets it...this went on until I could get over to them and remove it :(

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
Iv caught 3 mice in traps in the last 3 days in the garage. Atlas is sleeping in the garage tonight!

He did get a muscrat at the dog park a few weeks ago. Already dead. Iv pried his mouth open plenty of times but this was rediculous. He did not want to give it up.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
At least you're saving on dog food? :) Just kidding! You could put a bell on her collar, then the birds might hear her comming?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Leo has squirrels down pat. He doesn't eat them, just leaves mommy a bloody carcass to clean up. Fun. I almost wish he WOULD eat them, I mean WHERE do you throw away a disemboweld squirrel??

On the issue of things to be concerned with... What about smelly old fish? W take ours to our camp on the beach, and inevitably the little one finds a funky days old fish. I always grab the big chunks, but figure she's getting some down before I can get there. Any harm in that you think?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Ah, a free snacky! I wouldnt worry too much. I would be more concerned about rats if they ate rat poison. In the past none of my dogs ever ate rats they just kill them. But squirrles Kyrah loves to eat fur and all. And I'll tell her little secret she steals them from the terriers after they kill them. :)

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My cattle dog and shelty both loved to roll in dead fish bones, skin, and what a wonderful drive home from the lake that was! They never had one ill effect, even tho they ate fish bones, too.

I love the BELLS on Kaleesi's collar idea! I bought her a little Christmas collar with bells that is coming out of the closet now!

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PS: and the DROP IT command is the next on my list to work on, I see the value.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Better work on that one hard! That is a very high value object! LOL

I thought Lottie had a great leave it/drop it command until she scored herself a pair of dehydrated calf testicles that had been banded and dropped off... Noooo way was I getting that off her without a struggle LOL

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wonderful. It just gets better and better.

Dried up calf testicles.

Things to look forward to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts