Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I dont know about the food but I do use the treats for training my dogs, and they love them.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Does anyone know anything about Bil Jac dog food? Someone told us it was a GREAT food for our puppy to eat.
I would analyze the ingredients and see if it meets what you think is good quality. I see in another thready ou are feeding SD which I personally would avoid like the plague. Typically way too much corn for what I like to feed. I'v never read Bil Jac's ingredients so can't comment specifically.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really have a hard time with reading labels. To me they all seem the same. First ingredient is always chicken followed by chicken by product! LOL I will compare labels to see what it says. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
IMO Bil Jac is a low quality food. You can look below in my signature at the sites under Dog F ood Information. They review and rate foods. Also, I suggest you study the How to Select a Good Dog Food site to help you undestand the importance of the quality and the order of the listing of ingredients. You can also use the sites to pick a good dog food. I always suggest Natures Variety Prairie or Acana for puppies, but there are lots of quality kibbles out there to choose from. Your regular public does not know a good dog food so be careful who you listen to or, better yet, learn how to chose your own dog food. Takes a little time, but isnt your puppy worth it?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Upon suggestion from vet, I've fed it. It smells good and I had good results.

However, I did find that I got fast growth with it. I fed the regular to a puppy.

I heard that puppies fed this food tend to grow large. I changed over at 1 year of age. The growth rate sort of concerned me.

I like that it is made by the steam method batch in Ohio USA. Was a good choice back when there were all kinds of foods being found poisonious. No imported feeds used all USA.

But I feed Purina Pro Plan now and wouldn't change back.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
On the Bil Jac web site they only list the key ingredients (which arn't a lot) in each product and there are only a few of them in each product. Don't know if they are just not listing all of them. I will have to go to the store and look at the bags of food and treats.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I don't feed it but my mother does she swears by it . I'm more of a blue bison person myself but she says shell never change said her dogs have never looked so good.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My dogs tried this food about 7 years ago. One of the dogs seemed to like it ok and the other wouldn't touch it. What I didn't like about it was that it was a super soft, pellet shape. Like Rabbit food almost. Didn't seem to be helpful in keeping teeth clean. Each time I gave it to the dogs the bowl would be filled with dust/food particles.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bil Jac tries to market their food as higher quality than most kibble because they use a different process to cook their food.
Which imo WOULD be much better cooking process than most kibble, but then they go and fill it with corn meal. Which they claim is 'better' than corn gluten meal, but corn is corn and I dont feed it to my animals.
also dried beet pulp and BHA

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Its softer because of the cooking method. They say that the cooking method allows more nutrition to stay in the product. Its always amased me how kibble can keep fresh so long. So I liked that idea.

But I do remember the softer kibble being better for the older dogs. It also may wear less on the dog's teeth.

I feed Purina Pro Plan Performance. I found this food to be the best even though I did feed Bil Jack at one time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts