Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do it? We have an awesome park with trails and I've been thinking about taking up bike riding with Gunner. I'm honestly afraid and don't know how to start. He's STRONG and one good pull could cause a bad wreck. We go on walks, but I have some bad joints from a horse accident, and riding a bike would be better...plus we could go farther and get all of his energy out. Any ideas on how to start or how to train him to jog without pulling me over?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I taught chase commands you teach a horse when ground driving: easy, turn left, turn right, jog on, stand, and 'come round' which is a command to tell him to switch sides of my bike (at a stand still) and my life saver 'leave it'. Before going on the bike I made sure chase was great at loose leash walking and heeling, I took him to parks teeming with squirrels and taught him 'leave it'.

He is an awesome bike partner, I even added a command 'back up' in case he walked to far ahead of me when I stopped. The goal for me was to be able to move my dog without touching him or pulling him with the leash.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That product looks perfect! Thanks! :)

I will definitely work on some specific verbal commands. We have so many awesome trails around here...I think taking him with me on the bike would be awesome and a great workout for him. He's got SO much energy lately and I know he would love it.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
When I was a kid I used to walk dogs.. I had one that I'd take out with a bike :) I taught (colicky horse noise) to speed up, shake the leash to slow, and just guidance words for turning.

Just be careful. Juno was free running while my cousin and I were racing down my driveway and she jumped out in front of me. I crashed in a ditch. No bueno.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was a kid I used to walk dogs.. I had one that I'd take out with a bike :) I taught (colicky horse noise) to speed up, shake the leash to slow, and just guidance words for turning.

Just be careful. Juno was free running while my cousin and I were racing down my driveway and she jumped out in front of me. I crashed in a ditch. No bueno.
See, I can see that happening to us. Gunner is so ADD right now...he's obedient but if he saw a squirrel or something run in front of us, he could easily lose focus and yank me over. I'll just have to go slow and really work with him.

·
Got mutt?
13,848 Posts
I have the Walky Dog also. When I use it, I put Ilka in a harness, and hook that to the Walky Dog, but do take a leash with, just in case I need it. You can start getting him used to being next to the bike by walking him while pushing the bike. Just be sure, once you do start biking, to keep an eye on his feet. I have a speedometer on my bike, and try to keep Ilka at a trot (5-7 mph) for about a mile when she's in good shape, less when I've been slacking on her excercise. Of course, we have to stop at stop signs, so she does get little breaks along the way.

I have commands used only for biking. Instead of "heel" or "let's go", it's "bike". Then it's "gee" to turn to the right, "haw" to turn left, "away' to move away from the bike, "come in" to get closer, and of course "whoa".

Also, talk to your vet about it. Seeing as Gunner is still very young, I'd take it extremely easy if I biked him. I didn't start biking Ilka until she was about 18 months old.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Shadow would love to go run with me when I rode the 4 wheeler on the trails. You had to be very carefull because he always had to be first and leed the way. So when you took another trail he would cheat and cut you off so he could be first again. Great memories thanks for this thread.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I bike with Kyrah and I love it! First I waited till she was a tad over 18 months to make sure her growth plates were closed. All this time we had been taking walks teaching her she can not dart at that squirrel/cat/whatever that just ran in front of us. (Actually that was an accident but great that she learned it)

I chose the bike tow leash (Ride Your Bike & Walk Your Dog | Bike Tow Leash) mainly b/c Kyrah weighs almost as much as me. It says the leash should be attached to the left side of the bike which I did but really wanted her on the right. Since my bike is a cruiser I dont have all the gears and things there. So I was able to reverse it. Not sure about other bikes. I use commands like easy, left, right & stop.

When she pulls it does not pull me over. She doesnt run into the bike. When I am stopped she can pull the rear of the bike to the side. I know this from loose dogs!

Here is a video of the first time I used it. When we first started I had the seat very low so my feet could touch the ground. I have since been able to raise my seat to where it should be. We go biking mostly in a trot but do some running also. Hubby is a great motivator when he is in front of us!

I also ride very close to the side so she is trotting running on the grass.

We have improved greatly since these videos. I should make a new one. :)

4BV6Boiv98A

This video is a little long and hubby tapes the road & sky some.

8ibuxn_O2uA

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh dang...I didn't even think about having to wait until he's older. I guess that makes sense though. I wonder if it would be okay to just start at super short distances? We currently walk 1.5 miles a day and usually he still has plenty of energy left over.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Oh dang...I didn't even think about having to wait until he's older. I guess that makes sense though. I wonder if it would be okay to just start at super short distances? We currently walk 1.5 miles a day and usually he still has plenty of energy left over.
I will let the more experienced answer this. I didnt force Kyrah to do any running until she was that age. (meaning that I didnt do something that she had to keep up with me) Before that age she did all her running in playtime. When she was younger we did 2-3 walks a day along with all the other stuff to keep her occupied.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bike ride with tyson becuase he doesn't get tired enough from just running with him. his stamina and speed is far greater than mine. I think the biggest thing is to make sure he/she can walk/run well on a leash without pulling to hard and be able to obey commands such as "leave it" for the most important of distractions (squirrels). I never thought of actually attaching the lease to the bike because for whatever reason if he did pull to hard, i would rather let go instead of wrecking and be able to use the leave it or come command to regain control.

That way your not injured and you can get control back of your dog.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I bike ride with tyson becuase he doesn't get tired enough from just running with him. his stamina and speed is far greater than mine. I think the biggest thing is to make sure he/she can walk/run well on a leash without pulling to hard and be able to obey commands such as "leave it" for the most important of distractions (squirrels). I never thought of actually attaching the lease to the bike because for whatever reason if he did pull to hard, i would rather let go instead of wrecking and be able to use the leave it or come command to regain control.

That way your not injured and you can get control back of your dog.
My problem with that is a loose dog charging us and Kyrah taking off across a road or something. I would rather stand in front of my dog and take on the offender.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My problem with that is a loose dog charging us and Kyrah taking off across a road or something. I would rather stand in front of my dog and take on the offender.
I understand what your saying. I will offer this thought too. If a dog is charging at you, hopefully you would have time to stop your bike and be able to protect Kyrah but if she takes off, you wont be able to have control of your bike ending most likley in a wreck and then having kyrah attached to a leash and unable to run away/defend herself before you can help her.

I guess there are Pro's and Con's to both, just which one you feel more comfortable with.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I bike Chase - it's the best way to exercise him if I don't have the opportunity to let him run free in a large space. He really enjoys it. I just hold the leash in my left hand. I like to have the leash in my hand so I can let go to protect us both should I sense a wreck. I live in a very quiet neighborhood, so he couldn't run out into a busy road if I had to let go. And he won't venture far from me. The biggest concern to me re: biking is squirrels if a dog has a huge prey drive. Luckily, Chase doesn't and ignores them, but if your dog does, "leave it" is key. We did get chased once when a stupid lady decided to just open her gate and let her dachshund and mixed breed out to run free. Chase was very good about it and kept on trucking beside me as we sped away. As soon as we were clear from them, he wanted to jump into my lap because he was upset. That doesn't work on a bike! One thing, I do bike Chase in a collar I know he respects. It's not a full prong or choke, but it is one that makes controlling him easier should he decide to pull or go after something. Also, we go pretty slow. I try to keep him at a moderate trot the entire time.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I've had trouble in the past redirecting Josie when small critters runs by. BUT, I am walking at a moderate pace, and maybe if I'm going faster she'll pay more attention to me, instead of barking and acting like a fool. I might try in the grass at first, lol.

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Olivia,

Gunner is really too young at this point--he's just hit six months as I recall.

It is recommended that "forced" exercise not be done until the growth plates are closed--after that it's fine. The problem with doing only short stints is that the dog doesn't have the option of stopping--he would probably run on his own longer than you would think of trotting him beside a bike but that's his choice and if you give a puppy the choice of going with you beside a bike he's going to keep going as long as you do.

Most breeders recommend waiting until at least 15 months and 18 months is probably better. During that time you could start practicing by walking him alongside the bike just around the block rather that you riding it and going around the block--you can practice verbal commands that way and get him some experience with the bike but without the temptation to ride off with him for long rides which he shouldn't be doing at this age.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Olivia,

Gunner is really too young at this point--he's just hit six months as I recall.

It is recommended that "forced" exercise not be done until the growth plates are closed--after that it's fine. The problem with doing only short stints is that the dog doesn't have the option of stopping--he would probably run on his own longer than you would think of trotting him beside a bike but that's his choice and if you give a puppy the choice of going with you beside a bike he's going to keep going as long as you do.

Most breeders recommend waiting until at least 15 months and 18 months is probably better. During that time you could start practicing by walking him alongside the bike just around the block rather that you riding it and going around the block--you can practice verbal commands that way and get him some experience with the bike but without the temptation to ride off with him for long rides which he shouldn't be doing at this age.
He's 8 months next week, but I understand what you're saying. I will just use this time to train him and get him used to it. I definitely don't want to do anything to hurt him.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts