Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
San Antonio- A verified sighting of a new Texas Bigfoot was made this morning, apparently while the creature was still asleep! Unlike the fuzzy upright biped image shown in the 1967 Patterson-Gimlin film, shot in northern CA, this particular Bigfoot picture was captured in unprecedented HD resolution. This Texas example appears to be a four legged, short haired version of the Bigfoot species. Local biologists have named it Doberus Giga Pedes until further scientific consensus can be gathered on this exciting discovery! :wink2:

TX "Bigfoot" Confirmed Sighting Image - Dated 21 Nov 2019

·
Got mutt?
13,647 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Got mutt?
13,647 Posts
Rosemary- Are we looking at some extra digits on you Feline Bigfoot's paws? :2surprise: :grin2:
Yes, both of them are (were) polydactyls. And evidently atypical ones, at that, in that from what I've read, most poyldactyls only have the mutation on their front feet.

Bigfoot has the usual five toes on his front feet, although his dewclaws are extra-long "thumbs", and has six toes on each hind foot. He has a total of 22 toes.

Trouble had seven toes on his left front foot and six toes on his right front, with both feet having thumbs. He had five normal toes on his hind feet, but had rear dewclaws. He had a total of 23 toes.

And yes, the Hemmingway cats are polydactyls, descended from one of his own cats.

·
Got mutt?
13,647 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,289 Posts
These are both great!

(Rosemary, I owned a polydactyl cat - I loved her extra toes!)

·
Super Moderator
21,289 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our kitty's toes did. As far as I know, they do. Polydactyl cats are often called "Hemingway" cats, because so many of the cats on Key West that are descended from Hemingway's cats are polydactyl (fun fact! https://www.wideopenpets.com/story-ernest-hemingway-six-toed-cats/).
Looks like thread has morphed into a Cat Polydactyl thread.... :eek:
To help guide it back to Bigfooted Doggies....I see that Lundehunds and Beaucerons are Polydactyl with extra toes/dew claws.
I am thankful our Mr. Spocko doesn't have ANY extra toes or dew claws. Dremeling his nails is already a tramatic weekly event, with only (4) nails per leg ! :grin2:

Lundehunds Extra Dew ClawS for Climbing Rocks To Hunt Puffins

https://www.facebook.com/NationalPu...nstead-of-having-four-toes-p/424249001075534/

Beauceron Paws

·
Got mutt?
13,647 Posts
A lot of French herding/guardian breeds have double rear dewclaws. You've mentioned Beauceron, but Briards, and Great Pyrenees are also supposed to have them, and Pyrenean Shepherds may have them.

·
Got mutt?
13,647 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,107 Posts
I must admit that watching HDD chew on a toy, (he still has his original set of dewclaws, front only) is interesting. He really does use them as thumbs. And he's not nearly as bad as the dobes were about bringing me a toy to hold while they slobbered and chewed on it. Which is nice.

But I don't know for sure if that is just because he has the dew claws...in general, he uses his feet for a lot more things than any of my dobes did.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,107 Posts
And SD, I really wanted to one-up you by posting my pic of my two lying on top of each other on the couch--eight big feet just dangling there. But the only copy I can find readily is on photobucket, and can't be posted without being blurred out.

:crying:

So I'll just have to content myself with congratulating you for your historic picture of the elusive Big Foot. How much time did you have to spend stalking him before you could catch the shot?

I think you should contact National Geographic. They're bound to be interested. And maybe they'll pay you something for it :moneyeyes: Or maybe you could try National Enquirer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts