Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little DJ is 4 months old now, and half way through her 6 weeks of puppy training. Last night she totally surprised me. There are always people that stop to look at the puppies go through their training paces and watch through the windows that surround the training area. Never a problem....until last night. A man in a white t-shirt stopped to watch, along with several other people. There was nothing unusual looking about him--no hat, nothing unusual at all--but I think he must have made eye-contact with DJ, because all of a sudden, she got all stiff-legged, stared directly at him, and cut loose with one of those DEEP DOBERMAN bark-fests. That's the first time I've heard anything quite like it come out of her---it's always just been puppy-barks up till now. The man walked away, and I took a couple of seconds to calm DJ down and got her to stop barking. The owners of the other smaller pups in class were sort of wondering what was going on LOL....she was just being observant to the fact that a stranger, someone she didn't know, was actually watching her closely, and she was alerting me to the fact. It was a tiny bit upsetting that she disrupted the class with her actions, but at the same time, I was SUPER proud of my little doberman being.....well, a doberman.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
It sure is strange to hear that big dog bark coming from a little pup right?

Reactions: 2dobies

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yay DJ! I love the big dog bark. Diesel is the same age and he never actually had the puppy bark. It's so funny to watch him do his big boy bark at people passing by. I think the people who don't see him have to think he's a full grown dog with how he sounds.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,606 Posts
I laughed when I read this. It reminded me of the first time I heard Coco with her big girl barking. I almost fell off my chair thinking that big, strong bark was coming from my sweet, little girl. Congrats she's a big girl now! :butfly:

·
Registered
667 Posts
You go DJ. Maybe she sensed something. I firmly believe that our dogs are a better judge of people's character then us humans. The big girl/boy bark sometimes startles me!!!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Was there smoething truly to be barked at or protected? To me it sound more like a normal fear bark even though it may NOT have appeared that way. Unelss there is something TO be barked at, I don't think it's appropriate and I'd work on socializing.

Also what did your trainer do?

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was there smoething truly to be barked at or protected? To me it sound more like a normal fear bark even though it may NOT have appeared that way. Unelss there is something TO be barked at, I don't think it's appropriate and I'd work on socializing.

Also what did your trainer do?
The trainer told me that if it happens again, to first, calm DJ down so that she isnt barking, and then walk her outside the training area to 'meet and greet' with the person she is barking at. I agree, it was more of a fear/unsure thing than a true protection thing, and I am NOT encouraging her to bark at everybody that happens to look at her, but my point was that she 'found' her deep doberman bark at 4 months old, which sort of surprised me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Our puppy is only 12 weeks old. Whenever he gets the zoomies after his bath, I love to play hide and seek with him. This is the only time when his big boy barks come out. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts