Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My six month old Doberman gets very upset when I sit on or ride my bicycle. She will bite my leg as well as the tires on the bike. I have only tested this out for a couple minutes and then stopped once I realized how it was affecting her. It seems to be the same behavior that affected my other doberman when I was a kid. She used to like to chase bikes as well as tires on cars. Can anyone give me advice on this behavior and what to do to solve it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sounds like she's playing, and just needs to be taught that the bike is not a toy that she is allowed to play with. How's her prey drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice but she definetly is not playing. The wheels really upset her. A friend of mine who also has a Doberman had the same problem and solved it with an e-collar. I'm not sure I want to use one of those.

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
I would also use slow desensitization with a clicker. It could be prey drive, it could be uncertainty/fear about the bike. Do you have a trainer? An e-collar in this situation may cause her to actually get more aroused and upset, so I personally wouldn't use it for this.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Cujo did it to the lawnmower and I did use an e-collar. With the vacumn tho I just used the method of backing him up until he sat. Tippy with cats I did more refocusing & treats. Kyrah on some of her reactive behaviors I used "look at that game."

So you might want to try some different methods and see what will work best. IMO it is something that should be worked on ASAP.

Dont forget that "aah" is a powerful word.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Humm... What if the bike is in laying down position? Is it a threat to your Dobe then? Or even if your not sitting on the bike, how's her reaction? What if someone else is sitting on a bike??? If she cares nothing about the bike on its own maybe throw a few treats at it? If she cares nothing if your standing next to it... Give her a few treats standing next to it.... Try and get on it... Work your way up to it... Treats treats treats... If all else fails, ditch the bike...

Kira has a reaction to "a hair brush" yap I said it! Apparently it's "The evil brush from hell" and it has magical powers to keep said Doberman out of any room as long as it stands between her and the doorway! If I brush my hair with it... Doberman runs away leaving me to fend for myself! If I try and brush her with it... She finds a nondisclosed hiding spot in the house! If I covered said brush or any brush for that matter in cheese wiz, it would mold and decompose before ever being approached by my Kira!

May god save me if I ever get mugged by a bandit with a brush!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your advice. i have working on the bike problem every day for about 5 minutes and its gotten better. my solution was to have someone else play frisbee with her (which is her favourite thing) while i ride the bike around the same area.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe I missed something because I saw nothing the OP said about running a puppy using a bike. I started "bike training" Haley in my yard months ago. When she is two I intend on bringing her with me on my MTB excursions off lead. When she was younger I would pull out the bike, and she would bark at it. Then we progressed to riding in the back yard. Then more recently small trips in my local woods. In the yard she still "chases" and barks at me. In the woods she wants to be in the lead and pays no mind to the bike. She is now comfortable around all the other bikers in the woods since we have been walking in those woods for about a year. I cant wait for the day I can take her for a nice trail ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts