Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Another question. Went to a handling class tonight. It was fun. SO much to learn. Rudy did well and the instructor said that he picked everything up quickly. We have our homework for this week. ha

She said that I should get a slip lead or fabric slip collar for Rudy so he gets used to walking with that type of collar.

I've used regular flat, choke and martingale on Lily and prong on Strider when he was alive. Both dogs walked REALLY well on lead and really never pulled or gave me many problems. Rudy of course is still a baby and is not loose leash trained....yet.

So....what is the advice of the show experts. Do you use slip leads/collars with your pups? Is that the best for training them? I've also heard Martingale. Thanks for the advice. I've had dogs for 15 years and dobes for 12.... But this is my first conformation dog. So I would like to know what the best tools/tricks are for raising a pup with that specific training in mind.

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I use a big thick soft lead for my dogs in the beginning.

I don't use corrections when conformation training, but do want my dogs to get used to a "choke chain"

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a big thick soft lead for my dogs in the beginning.

I don't use corrections when conformation training, but do want my dogs to get used to a "choke chain"
HA HA! I bought the exact thing yesterday. Just to get Rudy used to the feel of it. Thanks for the reply. He's been to two classes now... and he's really doing well. Man dobes learn so fast....
Thanks again for the info!

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not just use a show collar since that is what you are going to use anyway? You can buy one at any of the dog shows or order them online. Also if you go to DPCA | Home you will see articles there and there is an excellent one by Michelle Santana on how to train a puppy for conformation. Let me know if you can't find it, I think I saved it somewhere.

Here it is Conformation Training Tips
Thanks so much. I loved that article! So helpful!
Yes, I'm using a show collar for training at home. I was wondering what kind of lead/collar people use for their dogs, in regular life, outside the house.
I bought a slip lead similar to the one above, for everyday use....so he gets used to the feeling of it.

What do you use with your dogs when you take them out?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yes, I'm using a show collar for training at home. I was wondering what kind of lead/collar people use for their dogs, in regular life, outside the house.
I bought a slip lead similar to the one above, for everyday use....so he gets used to the feeling of it.

Thanks!
Depends where we are going. Steve loves the slip leads. I hate them. LOL
It also depends on the dog. So if I have ozzy and dolce out for a walk i use the prong on both. If I have just one dog out, just a flat collar usually.

I actually find I have better control with a dog on a show lead than a flat collar :) All in the positioning of the collar.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts

Thanks!
To clarify my original post, I only use slip leads for conformation class. I use flat collars or a no pull harness (for puppies) for regular times.

Reactions: dapple
1 - 7 of 7 Posts