Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrigley is 50/50 on recall. Some days she comes, some days she doesn't. I do run the other way, and that works, most times. However, last week she decided she didn't care if I ran or not, she wasn't coming. She wasn't in pursuit of anything, she wanted to explore a litter farther than I wanted her to. We have a neighborhood park, with a walking trail all around , green space in the center and houses that back up to the trail. She decided to head towards the backyards of adjacent houses. Fortunately my son was out playing and she saw him and ran to him. So any thoughts on some training methods. maybe someone will give me something other than what I do now, positive reinforcement, treats always are high value when out. No choke or prong or e-collars at this house. I do use halti head collar occassionally but have started backing off that on walks and she is doing beautifully. 10.5 mos. FYI Thanks!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Wrigley is 50/50 on recall. Some days she comes, some days she doesn't. I do run the other way, and that works, most times. However, last week she decided she didn't care if I ran or not, she wasn't coming. She wasn't in pursuit of anything, she wanted to explore a litter farther than I wanted her to. We have a neighborhood park, with a walking trail all around , green space in the center and houses that back up to the trail. She decided to head towards the backyards of adjacent houses. Fortunately my son was out playing and she saw him and ran to him. So any thoughts on some training methods. maybe someone will give me something other than what I do now, positive reinforcement, treats always are high value when out. No choke or prong or e-collars at this house. I do use halti head collar occassionally but have started backing off that on walks and she is doing beautifully. 10.5 mos. FYI Thanks!
Always always always reward for recall. If she does it correctly the first time, give a high value reward. I still reward with praise and/or treat to all my adult dogs because it is such a hard thing to train.

I play recall games with DH. Call dog from person to person. Hide and seek.

When I start them off leash, I call and reward a lot. Any time they are coming back to me and focused on me call and reward.

I either click or mark with a yes, the SECOND their head turns to me. The 12 month old actually comes before the older dog. The second their head turns, you can hear me say yes.
YouTube - recall come both.AVI

Reactions: dolce_dobe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Adara. I picked up Control Unleashed, but have not made it through the whole program yet. I do reward with every look at me, even on walks, or in the house. Basically, just need to build relationship and focus on me is what you are saying, right? Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Thanks Adara. I picked up Control Unleashed, but have not made it through the whole program yet. I do reward with every look at me, even on walks, or in the house. Basically, just need to build relationship and focus on me is what you are saying, right? Thanks again!
Yes, I have found it is crucial to build up the command slowly and consistently and always reward. My friend who is a trainer actually uses baby food for recalls when training. It's the only time she ever uses it. But she feels the command is important enough and hard enough to train for some dogs that using a high value come only reward works for her.

I messed up my previous Dobe's recall so bad that I probably over train it now. But we do have great recalls with the Dobe and both Vizslas. WIth him, I would call 1,2 sometimes 3 times. Sometimes let him blow me off. sometimes go get him. I was so inconsisten he learned that come didn't really mean anything but do what he wanted.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes, I have found it is crucial to build up the command slowly and consistently and always reward. My friend who is a trainer actually uses baby food for recalls when training. It's the only time she ever uses it. But she feels the command is important enough and hard enough to train for some dogs that using a high value come only reward works for her.

I messed up my previous Dobe's recall so bad that I probably over train it now. But we do have great recalls with the Dobe and both Vizslas. WIth him, I would call 1,2 sometimes 3 times. Sometimes let him blow me off. sometimes go get him. I was so inconsisten he learned that come didn't really mean anything but do what he wanted.

Baby food? This strikes me as odd - what kind?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I read a great book called bonding with your dog by victoria schade and she focused on recall a lot (more than I would've liked actually, lol) and taught a lot of great tips.

A lot of it you seem to already understand, that a recall is really a test of your relationship with your dog. It's great that you're doing the running backwards thing which ignites your dog's desire to chase but the real reason you're doing that is to make yourself more exciting than what the dog is doing.

You make yourself more exciting by running backwards like you do, using a very excited/happy voice with whistling, clapping, whatever, you can use treats or you can use a toy. Maybe next time your dog runs to you, he gets to play a game of fetch or a game of tug (if he's trained with tug). That way he learns 'hey, this person is a lot of fun, when I go to them, it's always fun for me'.

Another game you can do with the running backwards like you're already doing is when he runs after you, once he catches up to you, turn and run in another direction. It keeps him guessing and makes it fun for him to catch you. Then randomly throughout the process you can throw in random games of tug or a random treat, or a random game of fetch or whatever your dog likes. Dogs like to be surprised with fun activities, it keeps them guessing which keeps them interested in you.

Also, when you do recall with him, do you usually leave wherever you are? If so then he'll associate going towards you with ending his fun of wherever he is. If this is the case then start doing recalls with him randomly so that he'll know that when he goes to you, he gets to play games and get treats instead of leaving the park or going inside or whatnot.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The best training technique for a recall in my opinion is for the dog to be on a long line and not off leash until you have a solid recall. The long line is not used as a correction device per say and does not have to be a heavy leash type line - I use 550 cord myself....and use it more as a guide in case he/she needs a little persuasion...you reel them in then reward. The long line permits you to give a command AND have a way to enforce the command. I carry a high value reward - that is only ever given for recalls alone. I use other rewards for other training ie., sit, down, etc. I have yet to find a distraction - when I have my dogs off leash - that has prevented them from coming back directly to me because they place such a high value on the reward and KNOW they will receive it each and every time. First you must teach, then you train and always be consistent - then they will learn.

Actually the best training technique is one that works for a particular dog - what works for some, does not necessarily work for others but a long line keeps them all safe.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I start my dogs on a 6 foot leash and put them in a sit stay, then I walk out in front and ask for "come" (I usually use a different word as come is part of our daily language) and gently tug on the leash and when the are at my feet praise with a high value treat that is only used for that command. Once that is mastered I add the auto sit. Once those are mastered I work up to longer distances and just keep working at it over and over again I NEVER ask for it off until I have it at a good solid 20 feet but my trick at the very end is to tie them to something so they 'think' they are off leash (NOT with a training collar) then work them "off leash". A good place to practice as well is a tennis court, but again it takes practice and time. Do not ever chase your dog, they will only play the chase game!

Mocha has three recalls, "Come" which is at my feet sitting, "here" which means by my side walking with me and "close" which means within 3 feet of me and no further. Her emergency "come" word is actually Mommy which means not matter what the hell you are doing you get your arse over to me immediately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts