Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got out of the hospital, and I can't walk or stand for more than 10mins. I can see Chase slowly going insane from lack of mental stimulation (I've also been high off of codeine for the past 72 hours).

I'm feeling a little better, and tracking is easier on me right now. In the past I've used a square of tissue paper with a dot of tea tree oil on it and shove it into places, he gets it bang on. But after three round I guess the scent seeps everywhere, because he begins to target other places.

What scents can I use that will be great for this? Food is too easy for him. Today I used vanilla oil, same response. This is just for fun around the house while I recover...then I'll move it to a field outdoors :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
How about soya sause on a cotton ball...then a drop of vinegar...hide a dryer fabric sheet...a drop of wine....etc.
- but I never did any tracking though / would like to learn more, when I get a new pup...down the road

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
In Schutzhund, I have seen my mentor drop a piece of thread on the track (out of sight) as an article as well as a penny, on difficult tracking conditions, and the dog had no trouble finding it. That is how sensitive a dog's nose is. There is no need for a person to lay dirty socks or worse on the track, LOL.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Schutzhund, I have seen my mentor drop a piece of thread on the track (out of sight) as an article as well as a penny, on difficult tracking conditions, and the dog had no trouble finding it. That is how sensitive a dog's nose is. There is no need for a person to lay dirty socks or worse on the track, LOL.
Well he has no training in tracking (neither do i), so probably has no clue what im asking him to do. To make it as easy as possible, i wanted to hide strong scents that he doesnt smell everyday.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know they are talking about different scenario's, but the point is people vastly underestimate just how discerning a dog's nose is.
Yes, but a dog wouldn't know how to use their nose for what we want them to do. Like, for example, I gave you some sort of high power computer that can do anything under the sun, and you have the ability to use it, but you need training on how to use it. That's how I see it, I may be very wrong since I have never looked up tracking. I'm just trying to find easy things to do while my body heals.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Yes, but a dog wouldn't know how to use their nose for what we want them to do. Like, for example, I gave you some sort of high power computer that can do anything under the sun, and you have the ability to use it, but you need training on how to use it. That's how I see it, I may be very wrong since I have never looked up tracking. I'm just trying to find easy things to do while my body heals.
Great! I am always happy to see people doing something with their dogs. Good luck in the recovery process.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
We dont necessarily do tracking it is more nose work. I think you'd be surprised by their nose and once they learn that command thats all it takes. I still am not sure if Kyrah goes for what I hide by my scent being on it or she knows what I just showed her. I hide a few different things a stuffie which could be one of many or a brand new one, a leather glove or a tug toy. I do show her the toy before we start when she is sitting. I tell her smell it while I hold the object up. She doesnt hardley ever smell it. But she sure knows thats what she is looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts