Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyones opinion on the best food for a puppy or Dobe in general? Especially one that's going to be huge!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'll be interested to see what answers you get. My pup is currently eating Pro Plan Puppy because that's what my breeder had him on and I'm looking to change it. I've been doing research and asking around and I'm getting such conflicted responses! Some people swear that I need to put him on a Large Breed Puppy food while others say that any puppy food will suffice. Then there are other people who say that I shouldn't even bother with puppy foods at all for various reasons (putting "puppy" on the bag is just a ploy to raise the price, dobermans shouldn't be on puppy foods because it makes them grow too fast, etc). Even with all the forums I"m looking at I haven't come to a conclusion, yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I personally have both of our girls (Jordan is still a pup) on Acana Pacifica. It's also not a puppy food but it is grain free and fish based. It works excellent for us. I also find the fish oils are great for their coats.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
This is the kind of question you simply CAN NOT get any real answer to. Get the best you can afford, and use what works for your puppy.

This is the equivelent of asking "What's the best dinner to make tonight". 100 people will give you 100 different answers on what's "best".

Google "Dog Food Analasys" and go to that site, it has tons of info about foods, their ingredients, recommendations, etc. Go with the best you can afford.

One thing I want to point out with the quality foods, while initially they may be more expensive, from my experience the dogs eat less, so the bags last longer. After I did the math, I am actually saving money at the end of the year by buying a more expensive dog food.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is the kind of question you simply CAN NOT get any real answer to. Get the best you can afford, and use what works for your puppy.

This is the equivelent of asking "What's the best dinner to make tonight". 100 people will give you 100 different answers on what's "best".

Google "Dog Food Analasys" and go to that site, it has tons of info about foods, their ingredients, recommendations, etc. Go with the best you can afford.

One thing I want to point out with the quality foods, while initially they may be more expensive, from my experience the dogs eat less, so the bags last longer. After I did the math, I am actually saving money at the end of the year by buying a more expensive dog food.
just to add more:
Don't go for the big brands they're usually not the greatest and ignore most that have ads on t.v. check the ingredients and stay away if there is meal in the first 2-3 ingredients. switch slowly its a pain cleaning up when they get runny. :( also get an allergy test so u can know what he can eat so u dont waste $ on something he can't eat.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I tried blue buffalo, and the dog just did not agree with it. Horrible gas and nasty cleanups. I have switched to pro plan. Its decent priced, he likes it, and he does well on it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use orijen large puppy, its been great so far. My pup is gaining weight quickly, but not fat...however, my pup has EPIC gas, probably related directly from the food...BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK

·
Registered
4 Posts
I, too, was confused as to which brand to use, so I started out with Orijen. It was too harsh for his stomach-very soft stools and a lot of gas. Switched him over to Innova puppy and he's doing fantastic. He's gaining weight and his coat is so soft and shiny. The pet food store in our area also recommended Acana and Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul as other great brands in case this food didn't work out. Good luck, but I think it will just be trial and error.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Eagle Pack for large breed puppies. It is what my breeder recommended and uses for all her dogs. So far so good

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can confirm from my experience only:

1. Orijen
2. Fromm's 4 star
3. Taste of the wild ( O.K )
4. There is a quite an array of holistic raw meals available that are really nice and convenient. I've been using " NATURALS " which has been great for my 9 month old. This is a form of raw food wrapped up in nuggets that have been frozen. Proper dosages are posted in the back of the bag for how many fed and at what weight the dog is.
5. I've fed ( past tense ) RAW for months and there is a TON to know about this style of feeding. My dog loved it, however was pretty ill due to eating raw chicken, or so I think. I found that for the time involved, attempting to get the meals proportioned, and the severe risk of health ( ghiardia, salmonella ) it wasn't worth the hassle/risk for us. But to each their own of course. There will be MANY on here that are for RAW feeding, but they have the knowledge and experience. So do be careful if you attempt this route. It's not for everyone, but certainly can be beneficial if properly done.

Good luck in your search, and do keep in mind I've spent hours upon hours researching the best quality food, however i'm still no expert on the matter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy to be pretty good. I switched my puppy to this pretty quickly with no diarrhea or any issues due to the quick switch. I have tried mostly all of the appropriate puppy food from them. The canned food, the dry food, the puppy biscuits, and the little individual pack gourmet soft food. I also, got their training bits. She's loves this stuff and her coat is unbelievable. She seems to be pretty happy with it. I would definitely recommend this puppy food. I will be sticking with them.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This is an endless debate
feed a large breed puppy food. You do not want to feed a puppy a food with a lot of calcium in it. Which puppy food does not have over a certain amount. Try and stay between 0.06 - 1.2 percent calcium. Plus i read puppies bodies can't regulate calcium until after 6 mo old. Puppies do require food that is higher in protein
than adults. All dogs and food are not the same on what it looks like on the other end. Do some reading on the web then decide. Most important talk to your vet.
Dobes are not fullly developed until about 2yrs old.
Like someone said get the best you can afford and no diarrhea and gas on the other end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,287 Posts
You will get a million different answers. Find a high quality food that works for your pup and stick with it.

We fed Orijen large breed puppy formula and our girl did fantastic on it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ditto KevinK and MeadowCat - you'll get a different answer from everyone you ask. And that's because every dog is different. I think the most important thing is to know what you're buying. Spend some time learning how to read dog food labels so that you can better understand what might or might not be working as you try different ones out (if you don't find one that works right off the bat). One thing's for sure - there's PLENTY to choose from (which, of course, makes it harder)!

We have Finn (almost 6 mos) on Orijen Large Breed Puppy and will be transitioning to adult with our next bag. He has a beautiful coat, solid and regular stools, minimal gas (abeit deadly when he does have it), he definitely eats less, and he seems to enjoy it. That said, another poster will probably say it's too high in protein. :)

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
21,287 Posts
We only pay about $65 a bag for Orijen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts